PDA

View Full Version : "BANG" and there goes 2nd gear

hc coupe
27-03-08, 06:33 PM
First things First

Ok,I pulled away in first and did give it a bit of go ! I went to change gear at the higher end of the rev range :roll: and dropped the clutch into second.

The car then made a loud BANG! :( So I put the clutch in and coasted into a bus lane. It made a noise like I was dragging scrap metal behind me ?!?.

When I came to a stop the engine ticked over normally and would rev up fine.

I left the car for a moment and tried to pull away.First gear was normal except the dragging noise came back however when I tried to change in to second the noise became louder and acted like it was in neutral......

All other gears are fine ( besides making this noise) except for second.

The gear box is a an F13 CR with a Diff..

Any imput would be swell !!

Thanks Tom

garyc
27-03-08, 06:38 PM
Drop the diff plate and see what drops out the bottom.

lj
27-03-08, 07:15 PM
i had this.... i used it for a day or so without second...then i lost most gears...when i removed the box and looked inside lots of gears had no teeth! so i replaced it....lol

Riggy
27-03-08, 07:27 PM
lol does sound like new box time , hope there is no damage to the diff though

ben doodar
28-03-08, 04:07 PM
lol i had the very same thing! i drove it for about a week an a half before i got chance to change the box.

5T1G
28-03-08, 05:33 PM
Hi Chaps,

Any further advice on this would be great as we don't really want to replace the box as it looks pretty custom. The diff cover plate for example is hex screwed and modded so the bolts sit flush, unlike anything i've seen before plus the casing is mirror polished:eek: :eek:

Thinking about it Tom photograph what bits come out when you take the diff cover plate off and wack the pics up here.

I hope for you that a new box isn't required:(

Bouch
29-03-08, 03:36 AM
Why don't you put a new cluster in your pretty casing?
There's plenty of boxes around and i'm sure Stuart has got a thread on how to remove the cluster.

Good luck chap

meritlover
29-03-08, 12:18 PM
i am with the bouch.
the cluster can be removed without removing the box or the engine.
if 2nd gear is missing, then asking all the uestions in the world will not get it back. out to the workshop with the spanners for you!!!

philthepill_389
29-03-08, 06:43 PM
blow my second gear in my c16se same sort of thing but i was doing a fair bit of speed out of a corner hear a loud band pop wen second along with loads of abuse at the poor f13cr dropped the box this is what i found

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/GSiiiii/07012008121.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/GSiiiii/07012008120.jpg

Rich
29-03-08, 08:39 PM
Sounds like the teeth are gonna be missing mate did this a couple of weeks back. Just changed the gear cluster no need to remove the box

scott.parker
29-03-08, 08:49 PM
lol i did this to my F20 but i was doing 135mph @7200rpm when i whent for 5TH! Woops..lol droped the box off new one on, but least you didnt miss the gear and ram all the valves into the head, ive done that too!