PDA

View Full Version : help - wiring front fog lights

ade
17-08-02, 11:10 AM
alright guys,

I've fitted discreet round hallogen fog lamps in my new gsi bumper and they look sweet - however I'm having some probs wiring the sods up.

Both lamps have a black and a red coming from them.

I've fitted another fog lamp on my mk2 dash, next to the one for the rear (connectors are the same) but have a couple of q's

1. Is there any law (mot failure etc...) that states your fog lamps can only operate a certain way with yer main/high beams - e.g - fog lamps cannot be on if main beams are on.

Or

2. can I class them as "daytime running lamps" so they can be on at any time regardless (just flick the switch and on they come)

Wiring help
The rear fog lamp has 4 wires
Brown (earth)
Black/blue
yellow/green
green/grey

Seeing as how the front are similar to the rears (switch wise) - is it not possible just to add connectoing wires to the rear switch so it operates in line with it? E.g - run a wire from the rear black/blue wire to the front fog switch at the same terminal?

Unfortunately, they front fog lights didnt come with any wiring diagram - I think Theyre ring ones.

Any help much appreciated (can you tell me exactly what wire goes where - electrics aint my strong point!)

Ade
:wink:

novapowered
17-08-02, 04:05 PM
i think they should only come on when you have ur dipped or sidelights on. so not completley on thier own, the fuzz can also pull you for having them on if it aint foggy, my mate got fined ?30.00 for having them on at night when it wernt foggy, but in not a policeman so dont quote me on that.
basically you can use a relay to wire them up if you go to halfords they do a wiring kit for the ring fogs for ?11.00 i think, i will look at mine later and post info diagram to you!!

carltoncrazy
17-08-02, 07:57 PM
right ade,i can help ya here,
when i drove me flamming great big v8 range rover i had, 6 helgron off road spot lamps,4 on the roof 2 on a A frame.
serious it made the road look like snow.+banging on the bonnet was easyer,heheheheheheh(sorry perverted mind)
right i got though the MOT by doing this
put em on a serprate circut,so like you said on a serprete switch.
4 mot bays let this through
however 1 didnt to get around this i jus unplug it at the switch,id jus do that and gutnetee a pass.

mikeoxford
18-08-02, 12:35 AM
http://www.vauxnova.co.uk/TWINSWITCH/twinswitch.htm

should answer all of your queries with regards wiring up the vauxhall fog switches.

cheers m8

mike

ade
18-08-02, 01:16 AM
cheers guys - that site mike was the ne I had sen ages ago but couldnt find it again.
Exactly what I've done switch wise to my mk2

Still alittle confused ref wiring - guess I need a relay. Will take a trip to my local vauxhall garage Monday.

Ade
:wink: