PDA

View Full Version : Couple of wheel questions.

Jcb
27-03-08, 08:27 AM
Got hold of some wheels, 205/40/17.

What is and how do I find the ET which i've heard must be within a certain range to fit a Nova properly?

Also, they have the wrong spiggot rings for the car, is it worth looking for some rings from say the manufactuer to fit a Nova?

Philsutton
27-03-08, 08:30 AM
it should say on the back of the wheel most the time, you want it around 45-49mm but at 205 wide they will rub anyway to be honest.

Jack
27-03-08, 08:38 AM
You can buy aftermarket spigot rings.

ET is the offset, i.e. how far the hub mounting face is offset to the centreline of the wheel. Vauxhalls of the Nova era mostly use et49 - the hub mounting face is 49mm away from the centreline of the wheel. This means Nova wheels sit quite far into the arch. Theoretically, a wheel with an offset of et0 will have the hub mounting face directly on the centreline of the wheel.

Fitting a higher offset (e.g. et60) would make the wheels sit further into the arch, and probably catch on the inner arch and suspension components.. Fitting a lower offset (e.g. et35) would make the wheel stick out from the arch and catch on the outer arch lip. Wrong offsets also put excessive strain on the suspension and hub components as the balance of the wheel is not where it should be.

On a Nova you want to keep as close to et49 as possible. You can fit spacers to change the offset - fitting a 5mm spacer to an et45 wheel effectively makes it et40, it pushes it out by 5mm.

The offset is usually stamped on the inside of a spoke or on the outside between the bolt holes.

I did have some diagrams in my photobucket that explained offset but pb is blocked at work now :(

[edit] As phil said, those size wheels/tyres will probably rub anyway - the fact you have a 205 tyre means I'm guessing the 17" wheel is 7" wide...?

Jcb
27-03-08, 09:57 AM
They are 17 x 7.0J ET35. Thanks for the info!

As I have my arches already rolled from a previous set of wheels these do just clear it even with a load in the back. But I mean JUST. Fully loaded back + bumps would cause rubbing I'm sure.

So from your example, if I got some 5mm spacers they would sit better for a vauxhall. However as they are so close to the inner lip as it is, that extra 5mm would definitely cause rubbing. :(

The other car I might put them on is an 04 reg Corsa C. Does anyone know the ET for these? Are the arches more likely to take a bigger wheel than the Nova?

Thanks again

scott.parker
27-03-08, 10:56 AM
They should fit the corsa mate, for these sort of questions i find google is good for finding the answers, just quicker response from google then us lot lol

Looked on google and i see that corsa C's take wheels from arround 37-42 et

Adam
27-03-08, 11:15 AM
No, spacers would make the offset lower(fit even worse)

Jcb
27-03-08, 05:45 PM
Oh I see. So whats the lowest ofset you could ensibly have on a Nova? Is 35 too low? They do "fit" from what I can tell, but I havent driven with them yet and wouldnt want to if it would unbalance/stress things.

Adam
27-03-08, 06:44 PM
As close to et49 as possible

Riggy
27-03-08, 06:47 PM
Fitting a higher offset (e.g. et60) would make the wheels sit further into the arch, and probably catch on the inner arch and suspension components.. Fitting a lower offset (e.g. et35) would make the wheel stick out from the arch and catch on the outer arch lip. Wrong offsets also put excessive strain on the suspension and hub components as the balance of the wheel is not where it should be.

thats all you need lol

Jcb
27-03-08, 08:23 PM
Yes it does explain alot, but it doesn't say whether an et of 35 would be alright. Or is it one of those things which could go either way. But if something goes t!ts up, then someone will be stood there saying "I told you so"...
:P

Would just like a few opinions, is it worth it, or not?

Riggy
27-03-08, 08:50 PM
no on a nova i wouldnt go any lower then ET45,

i ran ET45 for about 4 years and got the odd scrubb , just fitted bigger wheels but with ET49 and got loads more room :thumb: so went lower lol

Jcb
27-03-08, 08:54 PM
I'm not worried about any rubbing, I have rolled arches and have tried them for size as it is.

I'm thinking about an entirely mechanical point of view, would an et35 offset cause excess strain/wear to the car in anyway?

Be it hubs, suspension, chassis etc etc etc

Jcb
28-03-08, 08:11 PM
Anyone's opinions?

Would you do it?

Martin
28-03-08, 08:34 PM
I'm not worried about any rubbing, I have rolled arches and have tried them for size as it is.

I'm thinking about an entirely mechanical point of view, would an et35 offset cause excess strain/wear to the car in anyway?

Be it hubs, suspension, chassis etc etc etc

Fitting a lower offset (e.g. et35) would make the wheel stick out from the arch and catch on the outer arch lip. Wrong offsets also put excessive strain on the suspension and hub components as the balance of the wheel is not where it should be.

thats a big yes yes:tard: