PDA

View Full Version : Scrubbage

?Marty?
16-08-02, 03:03 AM
My rear disc conversion has caused the wheels (17" by 7", 205/40/17, lowered by 60mm) to catch on the inside of the rear arch and the top shroud/cover of the rear shock (only the drivers side one does this) :o :lol:

What would you recommend to remedy this (with reasons please):

a - wheel spacers (wear the bearings our a lot quicker/poorer handling?)

or

b - removing the rear shock upper shroud(s) and hitting the inside arch with a big hammer till it stops catching (what if i overdo it/it cracks? plus it may still catch on fast/sharp cornering. Easier for dirt to get into the shock, so it'll need replacing quicker - it's an uprated/shortened gas one)

Dod damn it! And i wanted to get front and rear coilovers! The rears won't fit now, coz they'd be wider than shocks. :(

I'll be 'sorting' this out tomorrow lunchtime, though hopefully someone can help me make my mind up as to how i go about it, as each method will sort my problem and each one has a 'negative' aspect.

?Marty?
16-08-02, 03:23 PM
Right then. Got some 20mm spacers, that'll sort it.

dan16v
17-08-02, 11:48 AM
yes m8 spacers are the best option dont wanna invite the rust by mullering the inner arch!

?Marty?
19-08-02, 05:55 PM
Shiiiiiiiiiit! With 20mm spacers i won't be able to use locking wheel nuts!

Unless i get some really long McGard ones and cut them down, though that'll cost me ?56 for 4. Plus i already have to use 'special' bolts to fit the Koseis as the holes are so narrow, and i don't think i'll be able to get them long enough to fit with the spacers. Bollocks.

Ben (lurk75)
19-08-02, 05:59 PM
starting to regret doing it now?

Thats what i always get like but the n it will be worth it (maybe) :roll:

mowgli
19-08-02, 10:42 PM
If you are having bother with 20mm spacers, why not get some washers, and by adding one at a time to each bolt (use copper grease to get them to stick) work out what is the minimum spacer that you can use. then get an engineering shop to mill down the spacers to suit.

What is the rear disc kit from? I always thought that an astra had wider brakes than a nova, so naturally the wheel moves outwards.

Are the bushes on your rear beam ready for binning?

Keep the Faith
Mowgli

?Marty?
20-08-02, 01:47 AM
Yea that's what i thought too. The beams off an Astra GTE 2 litre 16v. I fitted brand new poly bushes, wheel bearings, discs to it and etc
Previously the wheels never caught on the inside arches, and i even had to get the outside arch lip cut/re-welded to stop the wheels from catching, but as soon as i got in to take it for a test run...[see the original post above].

The drivers side is a lot worse than on the passenger side, though both inner wings and shocks are touching the side of the rims and tyres (when the car is parked up). I've measured the gap, and now i have 30mm clearance from the inside of the outer rear arch to the edge of the rim/tyre. WTF!? Everything's fitted correctly and etc. :x