PDA

View Full Version : Any law experts on here?

Jcb
24-03-08, 01:14 PM
There's a car nearby which has been abandoned on private ground for about 2 months now. Because the land is private the police aren't bothered about moving it away. There are some decent parts on it and i'm wondering whether it's worth nabbing them. What would happen if I did and was caught? The problem is the land is a tesco express and its under cctv.

It's an opportunist thing. The car was probably stolen and dumped. And no-one cares about it, it seems.

dannyb
24-03-08, 01:47 PM
The law states you can put on a hoodie, take some tools down when its getting a bit darker or early in the morning and strip the f**K out of it. A team of people doing ths will be best. Remember, just because there is a CCTV camera there, it doesn't neccessarily mean anyone is actually watching.

Sorry, I meant to say:

You'll need to seek landowners permission to go on the land. At this point you can ask them about the car, who owns it and what's happening with it etc blah blah blah....

Mike
24-03-08, 02:01 PM
Or stop being a pikey and leave it alone.

Imagine if that was your pride and joy sitting there and some other @unt was thinking about knicking bits of it.

Nick
24-03-08, 02:55 PM
Just because it's been abandoned, doesn't mean that the rightfull owner has been informed.

The police could jst be being lazy ****s.

Don't be a pikey, i hate pikeys.

NASTYNOVA
24-03-08, 03:31 PM
The law states you can put on a hoodie, take some tools down when its getting a bit darker or early in the morning and strip the f**K out of it. A team of people doing ths will be best. Remember, just because there is a CCTV camera there, it doesn't neccessarily mean anyone is actually watching.

what that guy said!! ha ha!! THE SECURITY GUARD WILL BE TOO FAT AN BUSY EATING DOUGHNUTS TO CARE ANYWAY!! (thats what id be doing anyway!!)

mowgli
24-03-08, 03:40 PM
I'll tell you a little story about a nova that was parked for over a year on private ground that someone decided to strip some bits off......
The theiving b4stard stole my windscreen out of my car that was on my own private drive. I dobbed him in to the police. Don't do it until you have checked it out. try the reg thru the dvla vehicle check website

Philsutton
24-03-08, 03:42 PM
Done it before, checked it all out and with the police and it had been dumped and not stolen so we had with their premission. Was a Mk2 GTI as well.

Mike
24-03-08, 03:44 PM
I hope those even contemplating it wake up to find there cars gone and stripped for bits like i did one morning! That would make you think twice about robbing from others wether it be abadoned or not. (if it relates to a stolen recovered)

Jack
24-03-08, 05:18 PM
For a small fee, the DVLA should be able to tell you who the registered owner is (assuming reg plates are still on it). Try contacting them yourselves and asking if they still want it - they might be delighted that you've found their previously stolen car, or could have dumped it there themselves and couldn't care less what happened to it.

Mike
24-03-08, 05:21 PM
DVLA wont be able to tell you anything Jack due to the data protection act.

Even if you were to HPi it, you wouldnt get the address unless you have the reference number from the vehicles log book :thumb:

dandan
24-03-08, 06:20 PM

Even if you were to HPi it, you wouldnt get the address unless you have the reference number from the vehicles log book :thumb:

There must be some way round this because round my way any car that runs out of tax, the owner immediately (near as dammit) gets a letter through the door from the housing association?

Mike
24-03-08, 06:23 PM
From the housing association? From the DVLA yes of course.

Philsutton

lmfao myabe so but they are still capable of leaving discs full of our data lying round on the streets.

Jack
I'm sure you can get owner details from the DVLA, as I'm certain xxxxxNovaxxxxyz has said its possible for his dad to do it - could just be you need to be in't trade to do it though, due to the DPA rules...

Bingo. You can request the information, via form V888, however you need to have "reasonable cause" to receive the information (hence how vehicle recovery agencies and clampers can do it, one would assume they have reasonable cause). Source (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_10016794)

Mike
24-03-08, 06:24 PM
If your int trade you can, if you MOT cars etc then you can have acess to this kinda info (i think)

dandan
24-03-08, 06:29 PM
From the housing association? From the DVLA yes of course.

Private property. We have an agreement with the housing association that so long as the vehicle is SORN'd and you've given them a copy of the declaration you can keep a vehicle on their grounds for a max of 6 months. The registered owner of any un-taxed vehicle not following the rules gets a letter from the housing association informing them that unless they remove remove it within 7 days the vehicle wll be removed by them and the registered owner charged.
Unless they were able to have access to the registered owners details this system wouldn't work.

Mike
24-03-08, 06:36 PM
Or you provide your vehicle details to them?

There are exemptions to the DPA btw.

Stuart
24-03-08, 06:41 PM
I had a letter sent to me from Basildon District Council about my car that was "abandoned" on the Ford site there....NOT from the DVLA, but they had stated in their letter that they contacted the DVLA for my info.

I think certain approved organisations can contact the DVLA for your details, you as a civvy cant. You can ask them to forward on a letter to the owner but they are likely to charge you for the joy lol

NASTYNOVA
24-03-08, 08:06 PM
I'll tell you a little story about a nova that was parked for over a year on private ground that someone decided to strip some bits off......
The theiving b4stard stole my windscreen out of my car that was on my own private drive. I dobbed him in to the police. Don't do it until you have checked it out. try the reg thru the dvla vehicle check website

thats ****all man!! my mk1 astra was parked on my drive for nearly a year and a half, some prick decided it would be a good idea to torch it where it stood!!!! damn near burned my house down too!!

mowgli
24-03-08, 09:12 PM
thats ****all man!! my mk1 astra was parked on my drive for nearly a year and a half, some prick decided it would be a good idea to torch it where it stood!!!! damn near burned my house down too!!

yeah but simply setting light to a car takes about 5 seconds. removing a windscreen & then carrying it up the street 150yds to your house & fitting it in your car takes a bit longer...........

NASTYNOVA
24-03-08, 09:14 PM
yeah but simply setting light to a car takes about 5 seconds. removing a windscreen & then carrying it up the street 150yds to your house & fitting it in your car takes a bit longer...........

yeah, but all you needed was a windscreen, i needed a new car!!