PDA

View Full Version : Suspension....quick fix?

CoupeUK
24-03-08, 11:35 AM
Right, my Novas having its XE fitted this weekend. At the moment its on standard 1.2 Shocks with unknown 45mm springs, i've stripped the back out and fitted 16's with 45's but now the rear tyres dont even sit in the arch.

If I was to buy a cheap -60 kit with shortened shocks and fitted the whole kit but run the 45 springs on the front, would this be sufficient enough to get the back down but also matching the front (take into account the weight of XE) ????

Please, no mention of coilovers or anything expensive, this is a budget build and I know the implications of handling/cheapo suspension.

Paul

Leeboo
24-03-08, 11:40 AM
The 2.0 is bound to bring the front down that extra 15mm, but don't take it from me:thumb:

R1CH
24-03-08, 11:50 AM
Your gonna need to stick some heavier poundage springs in the front anyway to cope with the extra weight of an XE.

CoupeUK
24-03-08, 11:54 AM
Ive driven a GTE with XE in it, that was fitted with a-60 kit designed for a GTE, didnt handle too bad. Jusy need to get the rear down to get it sitting level.

Lee
24-03-08, 12:06 PM
You need at least some 80mm springs to bring it down. Give coilspringsUK a ring.

CoupeUK
24-03-08, 12:43 PM
Can I cut the rears?

craig green
24-03-08, 12:46 PM
Can I cut the rears?

NO. It seems the whole handling aspect of this car will be one massive compromise in order to build it affordably. No point XE'ing it IMO.

Do it right or dont bother. Poor handling cars are the least fun in the world.. :(

CoupeUK
24-03-08, 01:01 PM
I'm only gunna smash it about for a few months then give it away anyway, dont wanna throw loads and loads of cash at it, I dont race about everywhere nor is it going to see a track.

dannyb
24-03-08, 01:54 PM
I'm only gunna smash it about for a few months then give it away anyway, dont wanna throw loads and loads of cash at it, I dont race about everywhere nor is it going to see a track.

Sounds pretty pointless XE'ing it if your only going to pootle about in it then give it away. As Craig said, don't compromise and especially don't cut the springs. You'll be endangering other road users as well as yourself.

CoupeUK
24-03-08, 02:37 PM
Looks like ?200 suspension here I come!

craig green
24-03-08, 02:47 PM
Even at ?200 it will be gash.

I'd say get some 2nd hand KONI's. Std GTE/GSi springs will be far batter than some SPAX or GMAX jobs made for a small block.