PDA

View Full Version : who has the knowledge???!

rysmee
21-03-08, 04:27 PM
hi, i need help trying to find people and or companies who have extensive knowledge in the c16se engine and modifying it. I'm looking to fit a 308 degree cam which is proving a mission in itself as the head needs major modifications and then also along with it the pistons. This isnt to much of a problem as im looking to bore out the block and get new pistons anyway. But thats where it all goes wrong for me as the piston will have to be pocketed the right amount so the valves dont contact but so it still gives a decent comp ratio :confused: .... anyone know of of anywhere thats raced/rallied these engines to an inch of their lives?? any info or contacts would be very helpful.. got to get her ready for nurbug in july.. times running out. cheers
oh and i know novatech is near me... but thats another story.

Mike
21-03-08, 11:18 PM
Contact Martin Bowyer of Bowyer Power race engines. What he doesnt know about these engines isnt worth knowing.

On the other hand, why youd want a 308 cam in that engine is beyond me...

mowgli
22-03-08, 08:36 AM
doesn't everybody fit 285 cams to it? for the road.....
why do you want that cam as everything else needs doing first, ie head pistons etc.

rysmee
22-03-08, 11:22 AM
i already have a 285 and its not enough! i just want an all out mad for it engine that no one else has done before. everyone goes 16xe or 2.0 i just like being different. 130 odd brake at the mo i want to see 150!

MC
01-05-08, 06:58 AM
Ignore anything anyone on here tells you about not having a wild cam. Until you've done it you shouldn't comment.

I have first hand experience of a 1.6 8v on a piper 300deg cam and despite all of the wives tales and speculation, it idled smoothly, had smooth progression from idle and a lovely smooth power delivery. It still had in excess of 130 lbft of torque, just slightly higher up the range but this made it more driveable.

MC

Stuart
01-05-08, 09:04 AM
Ignore anything anyone on here tells you about not having a wild cam. Until you've done it you shouldn't comment.

I have first hand experience of a 1.6 8v on a piper 300deg cam and despite all of the wives tales and speculation, it idled smoothly, had smooth progression from idle and a lovely smooth power delivery. It still had in excess of 130 lbft of torque, just slightly higher up the range but this made it more driveable.

MC

agreed. the piper BP300 cam is velly good!

Where a 1.6 with an AST2 (285ish) cam would start to run out of puff at 7K, the BP300 will keep the engine pulling a treat.

I had a "special" catcams cam made up to suit the spec of the head without modding it. Basically it was a flat nosed cam so you got huge duration with a "reduced" max lift so the valve springs wouldnt bind (meaning no head mods), and also limited the max lift at TDC to about 4.5mm as thats all the space I had on that engine. The profile was odd to look at and tbh I never ran the engine but I cant see it being a huge issue (it was something like a 306deg cam in the end) with the right setup.