PDA

View Full Version : Running on 3 cylinders instead of 4!!

jakyboy.88
21-03-08, 01:54 PM
Ive had a problem with my 1.2 Nova Lux all week and its been really irritating me! So eventually today rather than hit it with big objects and hope for the best i ran through the problem systematically! And hey presto got the damn thing to start! Now this presents me with my problem and bring me to you guys!

Do any of you have any tips on how i can find which plug, lead etc is the faulty one? Im by no means a mechanic but i do know my way around a Nova engine quite well for a novice! Ive ruled out coil pack because the other cylinders are firing?!?! is that right? Hope ive posted in the right place!
Cheers in advance for any help!
Jack

Adam
21-03-08, 01:58 PM
Remove one lead at a time, and when the engine sounds no different after removing a lead, thats the cylinder that isn't firing.

Do it with the engine off, and then start the engine, its a bit dodgy removing ht leads carrying 20'000+ volts.

jakyboy.88
21-03-08, 02:00 PM
haha yeah cheers for the heads up on the volts! Any idea how i can check to see whether its lead or plug? or am i out of my depth?

Adam
21-03-08, 02:02 PM
When you find the one that isn't firing, put that lead onto another cylinder and see if it fires with that lead on :)

jakyboy.88
21-03-08, 02:04 PM
oh yeah! feel a bit daft now but its easy to spot once youve been told! I'll post back if i get it workin! oh and cheers

jakyboy.88
21-03-08, 06:48 PM
Wooo! Got it fixed mate! cheers for your help! Just bought some new plugs and made sure the all the connections were clean and it ran fine! But just another random question......

Do the leads need to be in a certain order around the dizzy? Like i said its running fine now but we did have to swap two plugs around on the dizzy first...suppose ive answered my own question but just wanted confirmation!

Adam
21-03-08, 06:57 PM
Yes there in a certain order.

greg1.4
21-03-08, 06:59 PM
yes, the firing order is 1342..anti clock wise on the dizzy

greg1.4
21-03-08, 06:59 PM
dam..adam beat me to it.lol

jakyboy.88
21-03-08, 10:08 PM
cheers mate!! sounded like a plane until i swapped em round a bit and they started firing right!