PDA

View Full Version : Urgent:- Help with braking.

NovaLad
20-03-08, 09:35 PM
Fitted the handbrake cable to ma nova tonight and pulled up the handbrake then took it off. The handbrake cable itself is slack but it's still stuck on.

Also the drum cases have pressured on or something so we can't gte um off to have a look.

Can someone help me.

Have i done something wrong?

chris gsi
20-03-08, 09:39 PM
sounds like you have over adjusted the rear shoes as for getting them put the wheel on to make it easer to get the drum off

NovaLad
20-03-08, 09:42 PM
Cheers fella.

Told my dad and he said he will check that tomorrow.

It sounds about right.

NovaLad
21-03-08, 04:55 AM
Any other suggestions other than what Chris said?

burgo
21-03-08, 04:58 AM
have you tried what chris said?

NovaLad
21-03-08, 05:00 AM
Nope trying it in a few hours once my dad gets up.

Just want a collection of suggestions so i don't have to keep coming from the garage to back in here if that 1 fails lol.

burgo
21-03-08, 05:05 AM
well i think its a good chance chris is right. if not then it will be that youve done something wrong and in which case you will be better off supplying pics anyway

NovaLad
21-03-08, 05:07 AM
Ok then.

Well i hope it works because once this is sorted i can get on with finishing the car off myself.

meritlover
21-03-08, 07:13 AM
is the drum free to turn, yet impossible to withdraw over the shoes? there is often a 2mm step on the inside of the drum as the shoes do not run right up to the edge, if the shoes are over adjuster then they cannot be pulled freely over this lip. it is a good idea to grind this lip off so that it causes you no fear and heartache.

NovaLad
21-03-08, 07:17 AM
The drum doesn't turn i just pulls out a little at the top but feels pressured to go back in.

meritlover
21-03-08, 07:29 AM
oh dear.
have you tried smashing it with a hammer to release the corrosion?

perhaps you have not done a good job of the assembly process and it is not right internally.

NovaLad
21-03-08, 07:31 AM
Well it was fine untill we had bleeded the brakes topped it back up and done the handbrake then when took the handbrake off from in the car it stayed stuck on and now the drums won't come off :S

meritlover
21-03-08, 07:33 AM
are you sure the handbrake cable is not bound on the plastic axle quadrant despit the cable being disconnected to the lever?

NovaLad
21-03-08, 07:35 AM
No i meant. I pulled the handbrake up after fixing it together and got it up to 5 clicks then grabbed it again and took it off.

Then noticed that the cable is slack but it's stuck on.

So went to take the drum casing off and can't gte it off.

meritlover
21-03-08, 07:38 AM
yes but is the cable slack on the drum side of the quadrant? sometimes the cable becomes stuck in the plastic runner....but sometimes not. give it a good working in and out with your manly hands.

i fear that there is something amiss. try loostening the bleed nipple to vent some pressure from the cylinder, this may let the shoes in enough to remove the drum.

NovaLad
21-03-08, 07:39 AM
Will i have to re do bleeding my brakes if i do the nipple thing?

meritlover
21-03-08, 07:42 AM
not unles you let it drw in air. make sure the nipple is expelling only fluid. it shounld only take about 2 pumps to clear one cylinder anyway. it might be a good idea to go and play with your nipple

NovaLad
21-03-08, 07:46 AM
Thanks.

I will go play with my nipples once my dad wakes up. :thumb:lol

meritlover
21-03-08, 07:48 AM
surely playing with nipples could be done without your fathers presence?

Shaun_O'Donnell
21-03-08, 07:48 AM
The shoes and stuck hard against the drum and the "pressured to go back in" is the 2 side spring pulling the shoes back against the back plate.

Ensure the handbrake is released and the cable slack. Bolt on a wheel and rotate and pull the wheel to get the drum off.

Should work.

Stuart
21-03-08, 08:19 AM
once you fight the drum off, reset the handbrake adjuster inside the drum back to fully closed and try again.

Its covered very nicely in the haynes manual... even with troublshooting tips too lol

coochiSR
21-03-08, 09:14 AM
Im guessing you've undone the retaining nut?

But as Chris and Shaun said put the wheel on and try to turn it off whilst pulling.

meritlover
21-03-08, 07:03 PM
do as the stuart says, but if there is a lip on the drum then this should be removed to prevent it happening again.

NovaLad
22-03-08, 02:29 AM
Turned out to be the brake cylindor had gone.

burgo
22-03-08, 02:48 AM
i thought you got new cylinders??

NovaLad
22-03-08, 02:53 AM
Nope.

meritlover
22-03-08, 04:07 PM
well i hope you have now!!!!