PDA

View Full Version : c16xe engine timing

gunny
20-03-08, 02:35 PM
sold my dad a corsa gsi with burnt valves and ive now got to fix it before he pays me :(, but i dont want to take the head off as im baffled about the random engine timing and he wont buy a haynes manual, help please!!!

Adam
20-03-08, 02:53 PM
Baffled about what?
Just make sure all the timing marks are bang on and it'll be fine. It can be tricky sometimes though, as one of the cams doesn't sit in its tdc position, it has to held there either with a spanner, or a proper locking tool.

The cam marks point towards each other, and the crank sprocket has a arrow cast in it that points to a slot on the oil pump :)

gunny
20-03-08, 02:55 PM
baffled as im uised to the old TDC timing marks lol

Adam
20-03-08, 03:04 PM
You can see the marks on mine here, marked in tip-ex
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/16xecambelt.jpg

gunny
20-03-08, 03:15 PM
nice one mate, big help, i'll shake your hand saturday lol

Adam
20-03-08, 03:23 PM
lol

meritlover
20-03-08, 06:29 PM
yes, fixing burned valves without removing the head is very tricky. you must listen to the Adam!!! as he has much of the passion that is missing from some of the residents of the forum that is PNG.

peester
20-03-08, 06:37 PM
hey.. its knowledge, not passion.. well that too..
im just baffled that the chap sold his dad a dodgy car

gunny
20-03-08, 06:42 PM
i know what im doing with an engine lol just not this dodgy corsa timing, my dad knew about the valves also we now know that it could be bent valves as the cam timing is drastically out (thanks again adam:thumb:) and i sold it him cheap lol

Adam
20-03-08, 06:52 PM
yes, fixing burned valves without removing the head is very tricky. you must listen to the Adam!!! as he has much of the passion that is missing from some of the residents of the forum that is PNG.
Believe me, my passion for novas is pretty minimal ATM