PDA

View Full Version : My Battle of the DJs Mix to download

The Simps
18-03-08, 10:59 PM
I've got my first live gig coming up next month at a battle of the DJs competition. I will have a half hour slot and winner gets a 1hr set at an upcoming night.

I've put this little number together and want some feedback while I still have time to make some changes. The night is a funky/electro night so thats what I've put together but with my usual tougher edge to it. The judging is based on crowd reaction and mixing quality. I've decided to keep the mixing relatively simple as it is my 1st time and I will be nervous! :eek: If the crowd react well to the tunes I think I'm on to a winner!

Let me know what you think!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RRHCYP22

Simps.
:thumb:

p.s. Ignore the mis beat between 3rd to 4th track - bloody cd skipped! Has been binned!!! :cry:

loggyboy
18-03-08, 11:24 PM
Downloading

Matt
18-03-08, 11:59 PM
Hmmm sounds good. Your mixing is almost spot on, not sure on some of your track selection though.

First tune is very, very cheesy lol. I like track 7 though.

I would try and play something different/ interesting in your set if I were you. Tunes people wont necessarily of heard before. Maybe a nice chunky electro tune at the end. Tunes you perhaps don?t think much of in your room will sound completely different on a club system.

Also try and play something a bit more minimal nearer the middle of your set and work up a few tunes to the finish of your set.

Good mix overall though :thumb:

The Simps
19-03-08, 12:06 AM
Cheers for the feedback Matt.

Track 7 is Alter Ego - awesome track! Unfortunately I don't think I'll get that far. Probably only 6 tracks. 7 & 8 are backups.

I thought track 1 was a bit cheesy but all the birds love it! lol plus its a nice easy break in.

Andy_L
19-03-08, 08:42 AM
Will download tonight and have a listen, if it's anything like your last one should be :cool:

Bringing the decks to PV???? :D

The Simps
19-03-08, 08:47 AM
A little bit different to the last one, bit more vocal but still a little tough in places :D

andy_srt40
19-03-08, 08:53 AM
welldone on the gig mate, i'll hopefully get a few one day :(

kevw
19-03-08, 09:31 AM
Downloading now.

All I can say about playing to crowds is that it's totally different to playing to your bedroom wall lol

If you can overcome your nerves and get into it then you'll do fine. If your on first it might be a bit trickier to get people going but if your on after someone you can see what people are reacting to and follow the lead.
I'd probably play some remixes of "known" tunes rather than the originals, it'll sound fresher.
ie. I was recently playing a peak time set of tech house and dropped in this awesome remix of Chemical Brothers - hey boy - hey girl - the reaction was electric!

On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I did a warm up set of funky soulful house for Hed Kandi and EVERY tune I played had an awesome reaction! Girls love vocals!

Kev.

kevw
19-03-08, 10:32 AM
Bringing the decks to PV???? :D

That's a good idea!

We could put a system in the PNG tent!

Stuart
19-03-08, 11:11 AM
decent mix fella.

Adam
19-03-08, 11:51 AM
Nice Simps, sounds a good mix.

thedjse
19-03-08, 01:01 PM
i will download it tonite are you on cd or vinyl mate

The Simps
19-03-08, 04:18 PM
Downloading now.

All I can say about playing to crowds is that it's totally different to playing to your bedroom wall lol

If you can overcome your nerves and get into it then you'll do fine. If your on first it might be a bit trickier to get people going but if your on after someone you can see what people are reacting to and follow the lead.
I'd probably play some remixes of "known" tunes rather than the originals, it'll sound fresher.
ie. I was recently playing a peak time set of tech house and dropped in this awesome remix of Chemical Brothers - hey boy - hey girl - the reaction was electric!

On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I did a warm up set of funky soulful house for Hed Kandi and EVERY tune I played had an awesome reaction! Girls love vocals!

Kev.

I was chatting to my mate who's being doing hard dance DJing for around 15yrs and he said its great playing your own ting and you need to but you must drop a tune people will now and preferably can sing along too. He always carrys Faithless - Insomnia, guarranteed to fill the floor.

My theory with the 1st track is that if I can get the girls dancing the blokes will follow! lmao

I must admit this set is much more vocally than what I would normally do. If you like more progressive listen to this other oneI put together - http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94058.

The Simps
19-03-08, 04:19 PM
decent mix fella.

Nice Simps, sounds a good mix.

The Simps
19-03-08, 04:19 PM
i will download it tonite are you on cd or vinyl mate

This ones all CDs mate.

Jack
19-03-08, 04:37 PM
Good stuff :cool:

thedjse
19-03-08, 04:52 PM
Gotta say mate im all vinyl lol but will still have a listen when i get home

andy_srt40
19-03-08, 05:26 PM

me too vinyl all day!

i did a mix a couple of weeks ago, some mid-nineties jungle, will upload it somewhere tonight

Plug
19-03-08, 05:33 PM
sounds good you want to get a bit of hardcore into it!

NovaLad
19-03-08, 06:08 PM
Nothing is happening when i go to that site to download it.

Normally something would pop up but nothing has done.

Can you upload it to another site please.

Thanks

The Simps
19-03-08, 06:41 PM
Nothing is happening when i go to that site to download it.

Normally something would pop up but nothing has done.

Can you upload it to another site please.

Thanks

Main window, top right hand corner, you need to enter the 3 digit code. The big box will change then you have to wait for the counter to expire then you get the free download.

The Simps
19-03-08, 06:43 PM

Yeah, I learned on vinyl and prefer to play on vinyl but not many use it in clubs anymore. The club I'm playing at for this battle of the djs has technics but they're so poorley setup that the slightest movement in the booth and they skip. Not worth taking the risk. Playing a house party next weekend and I'll do that with mainly vinyl.

NovaLad
19-03-08, 06:44 PM
Wheres the 3 digit code?

kevw
19-03-08, 07:10 PM
Had a listen to this, like it!

I 99% use CDJ's now, I've got 2 CDJ1000 MK3's at home - best thing I ever purchased!

I'm due for recording a mix but last one I did is here:
http://www.kevw.com/downloads/distortedfunk_kevw_techstuff_260108.mp3 (right-click - save target as)
It won't be everyones cup of tea, it's very underground and very techy, I recorded it live on a big system, this music sounds better LOUD!

Kev.

NovaLad
19-03-08, 07:46 PM
Had a listen to this, like it!

I 99% use CDJ's now, I've got 2 CDJ1000 MK3's at home - best thing I ever purchased!

I'm due for recording a mix but last one I did is here:
http://www.kevw.com/downloads/distortedfunk_kevw_techstuff_260108.mp3 (right-click - save target as)
It won't be everyones cup of tea, it's very underground and very techy, I recorded it live on a big system, this music sounds better LOUD!

Kev.

I especially liked 15 min - 20 min

Jack
19-03-08, 07:48 PM
Wheres the 3 digit code?
I.D. ten-T user error lol

Can you see it now? :p

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Misc/novaladisanoob.jpg

^ before people complain, thats not Vista.

NovaLad
19-03-08, 07:50 PM
HAHA Just abouts lol

GT - Jobless Hobo haha!!

Adam
19-03-08, 07:50 PM
Its a Vista skin for XP.
Same as i have :cool:

Jack
19-03-08, 07:52 PM
Its a Vista skin for XP.
No, its a shell replacement for XP (aston), hence added functionality.

Rich
19-03-08, 08:06 PM
This is good. I was going out clubbing tonight but change my mind, so now im just sitting with this banging out the sub on my pc.

Andy_L
19-03-08, 10:16 PM
Am i going nuts or do the Chillis make an appearence here??

I think it's well put together :thumb:

The Simps
19-03-08, 10:28 PM
This is good. I was going out clubbing tonight but change my mind, so now im just sitting with this banging out the sub on my pc.

Thats not good! Its meant to make you feel like going out! lol

The Simps
19-03-08, 10:29 PM
Am i going nuts or do the Chillis make an appearence here??

I think it's well put together :thumb:

Nice one mate. Chillis yeah, other side. Is my middle chill bit of the set were everyone can start singing along and swaying arms in the air! lol

The Simps
19-03-08, 10:32 PM

Lucky git! Awesome bits of kit from what I've seen on youtube. Never actually touched a pioneer myself so none the wiser! There was a discussion on DSI whether the mk3 was worth buying over the 800 mk2 and the general consensus was No. Still an awesome piece of kit tho!

Downloaded your set, will listen to it while I'm decorating the lounge tomorrow. Minimal/techy stuff needs to beplayed on a big system to get the benefit.

kevw
20-03-08, 09:21 AM
discussion on DSI whether the mk3 was worth buying over the 800 mk2 and the general consensus was No.

I've had both and would agree there is no benefit from upgrading. It's nice to have the wave display and the hot cue's but I prefered the auto-loop buttons that the 800 has, these are not on the 1000.

I'm still glad I got them though - we've used them for quite a few of our own nights, when you book DJ's they expect them so that's one reason.

What setup have you got?

mines 2 x CDJ1000, DJM600, EFX500, 2 x 1210, I've got some studio gear too - Korg Electribe EA-1 mk2, Korg Electribe ER-1 mk2, M-Audio Trigger Finger and a Behringer 49 key midi keyboard. The midi stuff is used with Ableton 6.

I've always wanted to do some "live" stuff using the studio gear and Ableton but i'm no where near good enough yet! - I'll stick to playing other peoples music!

The Simps
20-03-08, 11:44 AM
I saw Sasha at Ministry Of Sound in december at the whole set (around 3-4hrs) was mixed live on albeton.

My own gear is 2xNumark TT1625s, Kam ScratchPro 150 Mixer & Numark HF125 headphones. Been using my mates Stanton str8 150 decks & Gemini CDJ-02s which are VERY basic! I badly need to have a play on some pioneers for an hour or so just so I can ge a feel before I go in the club. Most of the clubs around here have the 800 mk2s.

The Simps
20-03-08, 11:44 AM
Listening to your mix now btw :thumb:

kevw
20-03-08, 11:50 AM
I'd say you can have a go on the CDJ's no probs but from Norwich to where we are is at least 5 hours drive!

The Simps
20-03-08, 12:00 PM
I'm never going to wales again! last time I was there was to sell the nova and the driveshaft snapped on the test drive - long way back on an AA truck! lol

kevw
20-03-08, 12:40 PM
Oops!

I've done a similar journey in an AA truck - South Wales to North Wales. Not much fun!

The Simps
15-04-08, 06:02 PM
Just to update this. Got around 4 options now. 3 with different endings and 1 a different start. Let me know what you think or any moving around ideas etc.

Option 1 - Same as Original but with end chopped off to 30min set
(http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q7TFFHKC)

Option 2 - Same as above but different from 15min onwards
(http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3Z6CCMFA)

Option 3 - Different intro, more building
(http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2BNWKOPS)

Option 4 - Same as Option 2 but different last few tracks
(http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HT6JSQBL)

The Simps
25-04-08, 12:54 PM
Here's what I intend to play:- http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TYRPUIES

Was a quick recording this morning with a hangover so stuffed up around 17mins but you get the idea! lmao

The gigs tomorrow nite and I have the 1.30-2am slot which I think is ideal for what I'm going to play. All the drinkers will be smashed and lagging so I can bring them back up and all the donkey-jawed folk will be in full swing!!

FUSION X16XE
25-04-08, 05:34 PM
ooooo cant wait to listen to it mate i believe it was you that did the bs2 or bs1? something like that, i enjoyed that very much, i hope you do well mate ive just got a load of new tracks from ministry and some mates so ill put a little mix together soon. anybody going global gathering??

edit: and also the decks at pvs idea is wicked, go for it, ive got p.a equipment and amps but no geny, and also jack how can i get that vista thing that looks pretty cool do you get the hour glass effect?

2nd edit: also id like you to check out my mates myspace page, listen to some of his tunes, he makes them all on fruityloops 7 i may be making a track with him soon if i can get the time.

http://www.myspace.com/justman1989

Jack
25-04-08, 05:58 PM
Downloading :D

jack how can i get that vista thing that looks pretty cool do you get the hour glass effect?
Hour glass effect? I'm using the "Aston Vista 2007" theme for Aston (http://www.astonshell.com/) on top of WinXP

FUSION X16XE
25-04-08, 06:01 PM
Downloading :D

Hour glass effect? I'm using the "Aston Vista 2007" theme for Aston (http://www.astonshell.com/) on top of WinXP

ow cool cheers mate ill have a look at that. the thing were you can scroll through your open windows? kinda like pressing ctrl+tab. :thumb:

sh0rty
26-04-08, 01:14 PM
I thought DJ's played to the crowd?
Pre plan what sounds good for time of night or goes well together yeah but pre recording your sets? you must be sick of the set by the time you go out and play! Hope you did well though

The Simps
26-04-08, 07:50 PM
I thought DJ's played to the crowd?
Pre plan what sounds good for time of night or goes well together yeah but pre recording your sets? you must be sick of the set by the time you go out and play! Hope you did well though

Its important to guage crowd reaction indeed but you still have to go out with a plan! If that plan isn't working then you react to it. This is my 1st time out so I've put together a few different options and guaged interest on which was prefered. I've recorded it mainly to hear it back to myself.

Have you listened to it?

sh0rty
26-04-08, 07:54 PM
na I haven't sorry. have you done the set yet?

The Simps
27-04-08, 06:29 PM
Well!!!

What an awesome night!

Got there about midnight and it was quite upbeat funky electro and I wondered how my slowed down start was gonna work and also every DJ so far had mixed into the other guys last trick so needed a bit of a rethink!

Decided to drop the 1st track piano intro and mixed in the 2nd track to the previous guys. Guy before me done me a massve favour and bought the tempo right down to more soulfull house (and the room emptied a bit!).

1st track mixed in and there was a massive crowd cheer as it hit the drop but I didn't look up as I was so nervous and wanted to try and stay focused. Mixed in the 2nd track with another big cheer so looked up to a packed room and 6 lovely blondes climbing all over booth! lmao

Decided to try a few hand/arm gestures (arms in the air, clapping, punching the air etc) and soon realised that the crowd basically reacted to anything I did - what a powerfull feeling!

Track 3 in drops Daft Punk. Upset the club manager with this one! lmao Its got a big heavy bassline and as I dropped it in 1 of the 2 speakers went out! Word went round the crowd tho and they loved it!

Track 5 soon came round and stepped up with the Chilli's remix - everyone loving the electro flavour. In comes the big drop and I get the whole crowd, arms in the air swaying singing along - what a feeling this was!

Dropped in Monster next which almost blew the roof off! Went out into the crowd for the main buildup and rocked out.

The whole experience was such an adrenaline rush. I didn't win but got a special mention and been asked to play at further events. As you can imagine I'm still grinning :D

krobinson
27-04-08, 06:53 PM
Good work mate, only seeing this thread now!

I've been DJing since i was 15, had some soundlab vinyl decks back then. I upgraded to 1210's when I was 17 and has those ever since.

I played in various clubs in the local area until I was about 19/20, but my obcession with car's meant I couldnt afford to do both, so the car's won.

I still have the odd mess about now and then, but recently I've been getting the urge again, So in the comming weeks i'll be ordering some Pioneer CDJ-1000's and then a few months later a DJM 800 mixer. I'll use my 3 channel gemini mixer until I order the DJM 800.

Then I can start getting my tracks from the likes of beatport etc (about 1 - 1.50 each.

Just downloading your mix now, i'll let you know what I think. I'm a huge James Zabiela, Tom middleton fan, and love tracks from the likes of The Timewriter and Shiloh! (love my breakz too) - so that'll give you an idea as to what I like!

I Played in a DJ competition about 2 years ago, 8 DJ's in total, I played on 2 1210's and a CDJ. Everyone else was playing crap hard house, and I came on and played some melodic breakz. I didnt win because it was a hard dance club, but I did get a mention for "best technical ability" because I was scratching with the CDJ and had 3 tracks going at once, its a good buzz!

DJ competitions are usually a waste of time tbh, you usually get shat on by some idiot who cant mix who playes the most well known tunes.

Keep it up!!

Keith

The Simps
27-04-08, 09:22 PM
DJ competitions are usually a waste of time tbh, you usually get shat on by some idiot who cant mix who playes the most well known tunes.

I think that was me mate! lmao

kevw
27-04-08, 10:00 PM
Decided to try a few hand/arm gestures (arms in the air, clapping, punching the air etc) and soon realised that the crowd basically reacted to anything I did - what a powerfull feeling!

Your there to entertain the crowd and give them a good time, when they see you enjoying yourself it rubs off. Your right it's an awesome feeling!
I don't plan my sets for that reason, you have to go with the vibe and play whats right and what people want. You'll be even more hooked now!

I've been DJing since i was 15, had some soundlab vinyl decks back then. I upgraded to 1210's when I was 17 and has those ever since.

Thought I saw a 1210 in one of your pics on your WIP thread! CDJ1000's are the future!

The Simps
27-04-08, 10:55 PM
CDJ1000's are the future!

I'd got a few hrs in on a 800mk2 but was using 1000mk2 last night. The wave form is so handy!

kevw
27-04-08, 10:59 PM
My advice to anyone is: Sell all your DJ gear and buy 2 x CDJ's (800 or 1000) and the best DJM mixer you can afford :D

DTR-DEVIL
27-04-08, 11:13 PM
just listened to the whole thing, nice set. im more in DnB and that but i go to alot of clubs and if i heard your set i would enjoy it! well done mate.