PDA

View Full Version : more power

stugsi
13-08-02, 04:23 PM
i have a H reg 1600 GSI nova and i could with sum help to get more power ive got a K&N induction kit magnex exhaust. ive heard bout changing the gearbox cassette to get more top speed. ive got 125 bhp at the minute as ive just had it on the rollers. What else could i do with out changing the engine :?

dangermousegsi
13-08-02, 04:40 PM
get a custom made zorst manifold 4-1,have sum wrk done to ur head gasket an have ur inlet an outlet ports smoothed u get massive increase in throttle response,up rate the clutch u wont lose as much power as with a standard one, chip it that would help, u thought of cams? high comp pistons? throttle bodies? nos?

neiloakley
13-08-02, 06:30 PM
i believed stu mentiond 'getting more power without changing the engine@. Sadly this is not possible. To get more power, you have to changed on eof the engine/powertrain components. Changing the gear ratios may increase accel but will never change top speed as this is purely determined by engine power and the co-efficient of drag of the car. Soz

neiloakley
13-08-02, 06:32 PM
one more thought, if you wax the car proper good, you reduce the co-eff of drag by about 1-2% so that should give you an extra 2/3mph. Not huge but all you can do without changing the engine

MC
14-08-02, 01:04 PM
I hope you mean, it's not possible to gain power without altering the engine, and not without swaping the engine.

Secondly everyone keeps refering to Cams! There is only one.

Firstly, get a 4-2-1 manifold try heat wrapping it too. Head work is the most important on the 8v. Then get a decent road/rally cam. Don't worry about loss of low down torque or a dodgy idle as it isn't an issue with these lumps. Ultimately after that ditch the injection and fit twin 40's. Pay particular attention to matching the inlet manifold to the head. As far as the bottom end goes, just make sure it's in good working order with no smoke or knocking.

MC

Ben (lurk75)
14-08-02, 06:32 PM
125 BHP with a filter and exhaust is fcuking good figures i havent ever heard of the 1600 8v responding that well to these mods?

neiloakley
14-08-02, 07:06 PM
Secondly everyone keeps refering to Cams! There is only one.

MC

I hate to say this mate, but you are so wrong. In an 8 valve engine, there are eight cams. Other wise only one of the valves would move. However, there is only one camSHAFT. Soz

MC
15-08-02, 08:49 AM
Fairy muff, you got me there, but when most people use the word cam or cams, they are abbreviating the words camshaft and camshafts. I'd like to see you change just one of the cams on ist own! The word used to describe the collection of cams on a spindle and the part name widely used is camshaft, so in this case the correct abbrieviation would be cam.

dangermousegsi
15-08-02, 05:12 PM
my j plate gsi was puttin out 120bhp with just a k&n an a scorpion zorst when i had it rollered so i can happen, 122 foot of torque or whatever the term is as well pulls like a train