PDA

View Full Version : Restoring plastic trim.

Nick
18-03-08, 03:25 PM
It's not Nova related unfortunatly...

But i need some advice on seriously restoring some plastic. The part in question is a Spot-lamp rear cover for my XR2.

Basically, i've got a 30k car, and someones smashed a spotlight. The only spares i can get hold of are from 80k + scrappers. So the plastic is in ALOT worse condition compared to mine.

I can't spray them, and back to black won't cut it.

I saw soemthing about a heat-gun a while back ?

lee coley
18-03-08, 05:09 PM
vasaline

heat gun

bumper repair paint.

Leeboo
18-03-08, 07:00 PM
Yea the heat gun works good, but watch you don't blister the plastic, keep the gun moving:thumb:

Nick
18-03-08, 11:53 PM
vasaline

heat gun

bumper repair paint.

Is bumper repair paint... actual paint ?

as i can't paint it. It's only one of the spotlamps that i need to replace, and the rest of the car has TONS of plastic trim (kit e.t.c)

walshc
19-03-08, 02:13 AM
Have you tried bumper dye? http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/forever-black-bumper-trim-p-234.html

Why cant you paint it?

Dod
19-03-08, 12:08 PM
Turtle Wax have a very very good Bumper Gel and its ace. I use it on my dash as well. Is the Spot light scored or scratched or just discoloured?

thedjse
19-03-08, 12:22 PM
Have you tried bumper dye? http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/forever-black-bumper-trim-p-234.html

Why cant you paint it?

Does that stuff on the link really work

craig green
19-03-08, 12:54 PM
Warm it with a hair dryer which releases oils in the plastiuc back to the surface, then treat with Auto Glym Bumper care. (my fave trim stuff)

walshc
19-03-08, 01:22 PM
Does that stuff on the link really work

Sure does dude :cool:
I used a similar product (still dye) on my old axgt bumpers/arches, came out like new :thumb:
It doesnt attract dust either like usual bumper care/back to black etc
Something to do with being non oil bassed or something :confused:

lee coley
19-03-08, 01:32 PM
you can replicate almost any plastic trim with the right stuff,is it black/dark grey?

thedjse
19-03-08, 01:47 PM
Mine i think originally grey but i want them black how do i do that?

lee coley
19-03-08, 01:53 PM
very simple

Scotch the plastic with a red/grey scotch,then apply 1 coat of plastic adhesion promoter wait 10 minutes then use a couple of coats of satin/matt black.

walshc
19-03-08, 02:20 PM
Yeah, if theyre originally grey, then the only way to make them black (perminantly) is to spray them
Ive just done mine satin black, have a look in my thread (more door loon)

Geordie-Chris
19-03-08, 06:22 PM
I'd use the hair drier/heat gun trick, and Mequires bumper gell, that stuff is awsome, the best by far!!

thedjse
19-03-08, 07:33 PM
Yeah, if theyre originally grey, then the only way to make them black (perminantly) is to spray them
Ive just done mine satin black, have a look in my thread (more door loon)

Yeah i have read your thread mate we were ment to be meeting but you neve pm'd me back ant said he wanted to meet up aswell mate

walshc
20-03-08, 01:45 AM
Oooops, sorry dude :tard:
Im going to the club polo manc meet tonight :thumb:
Get Ant to check it out and come along :cool:

Leeboo
20-03-08, 08:15 PM
As I said before....

1. Use a heat gun (be careful not to blister sorrounding painted plastics).
2. Dress the plastics with a suitable dressing/gel, whilst the plastic is still warm.
3. Then powerwash the plastics to remove excess gel etc that might attract dust and dirt.
4. Dress the plasics everytime you give the car a once over, to maintain the finish.

You don't have to take it from me, but this DOES work, if you do it properly.:thumb:

Good luck!