PDA

View Full Version : 106 gtis?

Nobby
17-03-08, 11:15 PM
anyone ever driven 1 of these? had a play with 1 earlier me being in my xe kept with me round loads of bends but i pulled away on the straights? stopped at some lights and the chap told me it was a 1.6?!?!?:confused: :tard: :eek:

Steve
17-03-08, 11:25 PM
I think they're fairly similar to the saxo vts's, around 120bhp I think but could be wrong.

Used to pi_ss all over my gte though.

shy witness
17-03-08, 11:29 PM
theyre the same as the saxo vts as far as i know.

1 of the best handling small cars ever apparently.

a mate had a yellow 106 gti about 5 or 6 years ago.......with quite alotts work done to it and it was quick quick.

they weigh about as much as an empty cd case aswell lol.

another mate has a saxo vts at the minute.and it goes pretty well aswell.

but they are a we bean tin of a car.

Nobby
17-03-08, 11:32 PM
was just shocked lol as i expected to eat him up chew and spit it back out but as i said i did pull away a little but not that much, now i need to refuel doh!

adam c
17-03-08, 11:33 PM
yeah one of my mates has one.it has a bmc induction kit,4-1 manifold and full magnex exhaust,catcams 708 cams and kms management and it leaves 2.0 corsa's all day long.it handles really well and tbh theres not a lot of stuff that can touch it round here

Nevo
17-03-08, 11:54 PM
My mate had a black one .... wasnt 100% pure legal mind you, and when he ended up crashing it straight threw a roundabout at about 50 mph , had to get rid rather quickly . fast little cars tho ...

Jack
17-03-08, 11:54 PM
1.6 16v, its essentially a Saxo VTS but nicer looking. Very quick and handle well.

Did think about getting one instead of the Nova, the 106/205/306's are pretty much the only hatchbacks I would consider owning.

DTR-DEVIL
17-03-08, 11:58 PM
1.6 16v, its essentially a Saxo VTS but nicer looking. Very quick and handle well.

Did think about getting one instead of the Nova, the 106/205/306's are pretty much the only hatchbacks I would consider owning.

Agree!,
I wouldnt mind a 1.9 205Gti. Although my mates got a 309 with a Mi-16 lump. Now that is pure sex!

Stuart
18-03-08, 08:23 AM
awesome little cars, even the 1.1 models handle really well....... but once they start to go wrong, run away!!!! lol

"officially" to remove the alternator from a 106 you need to drop the engine as there is a bolt in palce that is too long and fouls the chassis.... nothing a few mods from a hammer dosent fix :D

Will F
18-03-08, 09:49 AM
Quick cars in standard form and awesome on twsity stuff. I would have one.

Was surprised when I couldnt pass one in my XE corsa! lol

ben doodar
18-03-08, 09:57 AM
awesome little cars, even the 1.1 models handle really well....... but once they start to go wrong, run away!!!! lol

"officially" to remove the alternator from a 106 you need to drop the engine as there is a bolt in palce that is too long and fouls the chassis.... nothing a few mods from a hammer dosent fix :D

its french!!! they are cheap crap, u can get a minter thats just a few years old for 2 grand and saxos are even cheaper. nasty cheap plastic interior, the seats rock forwards and backwards, they leak in water from every where. break gear boxes and rear engine mount every 10 minutes, there made on a cheap production line where evrything is assembled on the side then droped into the car to lower production costs! Dont get me started on them because every man and his dog has got them from stoke, and think there king of the road! cant wait get my turbo mini fixed again thatl show 'em

They are fast little cars though, i know a lad who has had 4 106 gtis and 6 saxo vts. im sure they were voted best handling hot hatch ever or of the 90s something like that! i have drove a couple and are good fun, revvy little 16v that pulls really really well, also have equal length drive shafts so will handle and controll well aswell!

Theres another lad with 1 that has been turbo'd (turbo@'d) from my way, it was on the cover of french car mag, or perfomance french car magazine something like that last month. 260bhp! its red with a front mount intercooler black twin headlights, black saxo vts alloys. looks o.k an goes like a ****er but im not a great fan to be honest! he will be at the vauxhall show this year with a few of his mates traveling down with our convoy.

look out for it on the saturday up the strip!

BEN187NOVA
18-03-08, 10:01 AM
Il have a go in my Mk1 any day

Mike
18-03-08, 03:33 PM
Excellent handling very quick little FWD car, can easily ring 180bhp out of one. Ive had several road and rally car versions.

A very capable car that will p1ss an XE once youve played with the engine. Fit a Group N ECU chip (?180) and stip it of its leather seats, go for a Pug Sport exhaust system (made by Magnex but cheaper from Pug then Magnex?) and the likes of an Ashley manifold and you'll potenially be knocking on the door of 145bhp once the standard filter/housing has been binned.

Mike
18-03-08, 03:39 PM
Oh BTW, look out for Turbo'd ones, you will need a lot more then LET to keep up with one lol lol

AFPMSL at some of the replies! "Its French therefore its carp" is it bollocks! They are far superior to a Nova anyday, lighter, faster, more reliable, look better (IMO) drive better, cheaper to insure (for me anyway) just as easy to fix!

Stu, with regards to the alternator, yes tis true, the easist was to remove is drop the engine....or mod the alternator bolt so you can remove in situ ;)

Stuart
18-03-08, 03:41 PM
mod the inner arch ;) far easier lol

Mike
18-03-08, 03:41 PM
Its plastic just remove it lol although the inner arch sh1t gaurds are about ?90 at time lol

Stuart
18-03-08, 03:44 PM
errrrr it was definately metal I was bending with the hammer and bar. this was on a 1.1 though, maybe the gti has its alt in a different place.

Adam
18-03-08, 03:46 PM
As already said, great cars.
Handle superbly, and have very good engines.
There basically a more modern/better equivalent of a nova TBH

Id have one anyday.

Mike
18-03-08, 03:55 PM
Id have one anyday.

I paid ?300 for a P reg, full leather non sunroof, 1 owner GTi with 70k, had a light front impact but not recorded, needed a new bumper, drivers wing and headlight, cost me ?70 repair including paint. Sold it for ?1900 :D and im going to get another one rather soon.

On the GTi forum, the owners are not like your average Nova owner, they dont think there cars will beat just about anything when they wont. There a sound bunch of lads (and lasses) and most are very very technically minded when it comes to mechanicals and engine tuning etc

thunderpants
18-03-08, 04:38 PM
the seats rock forwards and backwards

!

lmao thats so true, i've been driving one and had to brake hard and the whole seat moved forwards lol

matthew172
18-03-08, 04:38 PM
ive had a 106 gti and tbh its the best car ive had, revvy engine, handle great and look great

i will own one of these again one day

Mike
18-03-08, 04:40 PM
^so do standard Nova seats. And Corsa's, and Astra's and Cavaliers actually...

Ive owned more then one of the above Vauxhalls and every one had lose seats lol

andy_srt40
18-03-08, 04:51 PM
my 205 seats nearly came out under heavy breaking lol

Philsutton
18-03-08, 06:45 PM

lmfao amazing french design there

Jack
18-03-08, 07:15 PM
Probably find the wheel brace comes with some cheese and a white flag

womble sri
18-03-08, 07:23 PM
ther identical engines in the vts and the gti. a lad round here has got one with stainless exhaust and cone filter but my old 1400 sr used to eat it even on the starights was very tuned mind

Adam
18-03-08, 07:25 PM
The engine was broken then.

Dar
18-03-08, 07:37 PM
Viva la France!!!
Cool little cars but I prefer the GTI-6

womble sri
18-03-08, 08:04 PM

no he pulled me up a couple of weeks later and askes what was in it i explained and he wasnt as suprised

Jack
18-03-08, 08:11 PM
Either that or he couldn't drive... Its doable, but I'd say a 1400SR would need to be making at least 50bhp over standard and have some rather nice suspension to size up to even a standard VTS/GTi.

Adam
18-03-08, 08:58 PM
Either that or he couldn't drive... Its doable, but I'd say a 1400SR would need to be making at least 50bhp over standard and have some rather nice suspension to size up to even a standard VTS/GTi.
How Womble posted I assumed it was a std 1.4sr....
Which wouldnt even be in the rearview of a 106gti.

ben doodar
19-03-08, 02:30 PM

so true, heres another great french design.
the new megan, in france it is a legal requirement to carry a spare bulb set with you. on said megan trying to change a headlight is a right pain, neigh on impossible, it refers to the main dealer in the handbook.
1st you have to get down on the floor, put the wheels on full opposite lock, call your mate stretch armstrong, or mr tickle to reach behind the head light undo a crappy little plastic cover then change the bulb blind because you cant see what you are doing, i wouldnt like to do that as some french wineo, flys past doing 130mph in his egg box 106 at the side of the road. lol

andy_srt40
19-03-08, 02:35 PM

my first nova used to rape an apparently 150bhp 106 gti every time i saw him, all mine had was a good cam, cone filter and a stainlss exhaust, coilovers and big brakes, i will stick my neck out and say he couldn;t drive but i used to leave it on the straights too

anyway, if 106gti's are so good, why is this not called performance106group.com? lol lol :roll:

Mike
19-03-08, 02:37 PM
lol ^ thats why they have 106GTi drivers, rallyeregister, 205GTi drivers forums etc etc etc

andy_srt40
19-03-08, 02:42 PM
lol ^ thats why they have 106GTi drivers, rallyeregister, 205GTi drivers forums etc etc etc

smart**** lol lol lol :cool:

Adam
19-03-08, 03:21 PM
my first nova used to rape an apparently 150bhp 106 gti every time i saw him, all mine had was a good cam, cone filter and a stainlss exhaust, coilovers and big brakes, i will stick my neck out and say he couldn;t drive but i used to leave it on the straights too

anyway, if 106gti's are so good, why is this not called performance106group.com? lol lol :roll:
What in?

You can get 150bhp on a 106 gti from the standard inlet manifold setup ;)

andy_srt40
19-03-08, 03:25 PM
What in?

You can get 150bhp on a 106 gti from the standard inlet manifold setup ;)

i was in a mk1 gte nova

he had a 'chip' lol

exhasut manifold and system

cam and maybe a bit of headworkm but cant remember now and i dont see him anymore

Adam
19-03-08, 03:31 PM
Hmm, dont see how you could leave a gti on the straights tbh, unless his engine was down on power. He wouldn't have had 150hp with those mods, you need cams and a remap for that sort of power. :thumb:

I have about 120bhp, and my car is a pretty good match for a standard 106gti.
People do mid 15sec 1/4 miles in standard 106 gti's, which a near standard 1.6 8v would never do.....

andy_srt40
19-03-08, 03:34 PM
that's what i was thinking at the time mate, but i did have arps also so my rev limit was higher

Jack
19-03-08, 03:36 PM
Not to mention pugsouthwest, who appear to hold all their meets in McDonalds car parks. Make of that what you will ;)

andy_srt40
19-03-08, 03:38 PM
Not to mention pugsouthwest, who appear to hold all their meets in McDonalds car parks. Make of that what you will ;)

say no more :roll: :roll:

Adam
19-03-08, 03:43 PM
lol

matthew172
19-03-08, 04:12 PM
that's what i was thinking at the time mate, but i did have arps also so my rev limit was higher

pmsl

andy_srt40
19-03-08, 04:29 PM
i did eventually blow that engine up revving to 9k on standad internals is not advised !!

bigbened
19-03-08, 04:31 PM
i took on a gti the other day in my 139ish bhp 5 and said bye bye to it in my rear view mirror. somethings telling me not to go back to novas now doh

Rick Draper
19-03-08, 04:44 PM
My sister had one in blaze yellow, used to borrow it a lot as it was such fun to drive. Coming home from PV in it a few years back some **** on here said i was driving like a **** up the M1 in it.

Plug
19-03-08, 05:43 PM
ther identical engines in the vts and the gti. a lad round here has got one with stainless exhaust and cone filter but my old 1400 sr used to eat it even on the starights was very tuned mind

Not identical the 106 Has got different cams and the ecu is remaped differently.

Gti V Vts Gti will win

Jack
19-03-08, 05:53 PM
Nope, the engines are identical (made by the same company :p). 0-60 is quoted as faster on the VTS because of the different ways citroen and pug test the cars performance, and the VTS has a slightly longer 2nd gear to keep the 0-60 time down.

Adam
19-03-08, 06:00 PM
My sister had one in blaze yellow, used to borrow it a lot as it was such fun to drive. Coming home from PV in it a few years back some **** on here said i was driving like a **** up the M1 in it.
lol

Plug
19-03-08, 06:01 PM
oh when i was ordering one up from pug for a car at work i asked if a vts one would go in. and i was told it was different

Geordie-Chris
19-03-08, 06:06 PM
There pretty quick little cars, but I still wouldn't own one, there french!!

coochiSR
19-03-08, 06:51 PM
They're quick and handle well BUT i hate driving them, peddles are MILES toooo close and i have to knock it in to Neutral to brake!!! lol

I considered getting one over my Starbo but i love my Starbo and it's alot nicer to drive, and easier IMO. I can SAFELY heel and toe in the Starbo but i just seem to brake and accelerate in a GTi constantly.

From what i know about them GTi's and VTs's are exactually the same apart from interior and styling. I'd have a GTi over a VTS anyday, just hate Saxo's, although they're the same car.

Adam
19-03-08, 06:53 PM
Id go VTS tbh, there a lot cheaper, and pretty much the same car.

coochiSR
19-03-08, 07:08 PM
Not full leather etc thou AND its a Chicken Paxo.......

Ricky G
19-03-08, 07:15 PM
they do handle very well but like many cars they are very twitchy on the **** end. you always have to be ready to catch it before it goes too far when your giving it some through the lanes.

coochiSR
19-03-08, 07:19 PM
Mine's twitchy but stoopidly predictable and easy to control. I didnt think the GTi was but i didn't drive it like i drive mine.

Andy
19-03-08, 07:21 PM
The gearboxes different in them.Ive seen quoted the gti is faster,who cares. just mcdonalds ammo for charvers this thread is gettinglol lol

coochiSR
19-03-08, 07:22 PM
Yeah they do like to munch gearbox's alot like Punto's too in that front.

Sturge
19-03-08, 08:54 PM
I bought a vts for my ex and ended up driving it more than she did, good fun little car and plenty quick for what they are. Gti is a bit quicker as they're mapped differently after peugeot spat the dummy when the vts was faster (and as pug own citroen...) Being French they are a bit fragile, and anyone who thinks they're dangerously tail happy can't drive for ****e. I'd be very interested to do some cross country timing between a c16xe nova and one though.

They do rot a lot worse than novas though, they just hide it better! We get looooooooads in at work and once they're stripped back to a bare shell it's really scary!

womble sri
19-03-08, 10:18 PM
How Womble posted I assumed it was a std 1.4sr....
Which wouldnt even be in the rearview of a 106gti.

sorry adam no it was quite a high spec it had a rebulit bottom end (no power) an sri head bp300 cam, four branch, exhaust and produce a questionable 134 bhp and had absolutely no interior bar the front two seats it was silly fast and used to enmbaress many cars that could not believe it was merely a 1400.

i wasnt trying to start a debate just simply speaking of my experience with one of these french sh1tters.
rather the gti than the sh1treon shaxo vts though lol

~~joycey~~
20-03-08, 12:14 AM
yeah 106 gti's are pretty quick and handle very very well when being driven properly.

this is my mates one, probably the fastest, lowest and loudest around hampshire :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VUOGV1pIfo

Jim Mcrae
20-03-08, 02:24 PM
Had one come up behind me in the nova a while ago, he was quite suprised when i put my foot down and left him behind lol They do handle spot on (for some reason my mates 206 was a deathtrap).
Would deffinetly have one over a VTS

jsw3644
22-03-08, 02:57 PM
they're great cars. 2 of my mates have them. They're the same as the saxo vts engine but for sum reson better acceleration and quicker? umm id highly recomend 1. almost had 1 myself.

stevei
22-03-08, 04:55 PM
perfect topic for me this, as my run around i bought before crimbo is a 106 GTi. i bought it to replace my old Corsa SRi. I was'nt looking for one and it came in as a trade in at my work. 1 old guy owner from new full peug history, original bill of sale and pdi and only 32k on the clock!!! its mint, inside and out and drives great. It handles so well and really inspires soo much confidence round the twistys. the cams come in with a lot of grunt at 4k and revs like a b**ch! truely a 'hot hatch'

heres a pic
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6346/hpim0549uq7.jpg

ste

Adam*D
22-03-08, 06:08 PM
Me and a mate both done our engine conversions at the same time, I have a corsa b and he had a 106 quicksilver. I put a red top in mine and he put a VTS motor in his, everytime we have a little "race" I blow his doors off on the straights but he catches up on the twisty bits. I have lowered springs and he has coilovers, apart from that there pritty standard cars.

novawez
22-03-08, 08:10 PM
so is someone going to get a poll up which they prefer nova xe or pug gti or burgos shorts if they had the money:thumb: lol

Nobby
23-03-08, 05:25 PM
xe all day long ;)

Mike
23-03-08, 06:23 PM
xe all day long ;)

106 GTi for me, XE is worth half as much on a re-sale basis.

Nobby
23-03-08, 09:02 PM
106 GTi for me, XE is worth half as much on a re-sale basis.

each to their own i just love the look on ****ers with new cars faces when i go past them in my rusty old nova even if it is worth half as much lol then again i only payed 1k for mine so if i sell it i wont lose out:thumb:

Nick
23-03-08, 09:26 PM
yeah 106 gti's are pretty quick and handle very very well when being driven properly.

this is my mates one, probably the fastest, lowest and loudest around hampshire :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VUOGV1pIfo

That music is ****ing awfull... Should have just left it looking standard.

In their standard form they're pretty good. Some **** caming hooning after me one night, from a 20-70 down a slip road my 1600 T40 was definetly quicker... but i'd imagine it was a fairly standard car except for a likely Filter and Definetly an exhaust system of somekind.

The only thing i'd be worried about is the build quality... A friend of mine had one, he thrashed it around like an idiot, and it literally started to fall apart... same can be said for the Rallye's.

shy witness
23-03-08, 11:32 PM
i was out with my mate thjere 2night in his saxo vts...........and it definatly goes well.

very rev happy engine...........and it sticks to the road like glue(and it was a wet pissy night here n'all)

i wouldnt be rushing out to buy 1 personally.........but i can deffinatly see the appeal.

i always prefered the 106's right enough........but he's always prefered saxos.

its just down to personal taste i reckon.

philthepill_389
24-03-08, 04:07 PM
my old corsa "c16se" modded used to quiet happy play along with them. out perform and handle them running bilstein b10 kit with 90mm rear spring from v sport stripped 2 buckets could only beat me top end after 120 due to f13 cr

~~joycey~~
07-04-08, 06:24 PM
That music is ****ing awfull... Should have just left it looking standard.

In their standard form they're pretty good. Some **** caming hooning after me one night, from a 20-70 down a slip road my 1600 T40 was definetly quicker... but i'd imagine it was a fairly standard car except for a likely Filter and Definetly an exhaust system of somekind.

The only thing i'd be worried about is the build quality... A friend of mine had one, he thrashed it around like an idiot, and it literally started to fall apart... same can be said for the Rallye's.

Each to there own, some people like hardcore and some people dont but thats your choice but i would'nt describe it as ****ing awful?

Also cant really see why you say it should have been left standard? the car is lightly modded and trust me in a modified state its alot better than "pretty good"!

raymond
07-04-08, 06:37 PM
ive got a thing for 106 rallyes at the moment been using my gf for a while now and ive been tempted to sell the nova for one

doubt i will like

they handle ace
go ok
and the heaters work in them lol

jsw3644
07-04-08, 09:17 PM
couple of my mates have 106 gti's. think theyre bit quicker than the saxo vts. lighter shell or sumt? my nova pisses over it tho. :P

chimp007_uk
07-04-08, 09:44 PM
a lad i know has a 106 rallye, running a 1.6 16v gti engine on r1 carbs and emerald management... quick little thing. he wants to take on my xe once its mapped perfectly... I'm scared...

Talking of blunders... The French aren't the worse! On the Aston martin DB9 i believe(?) to get the wiper motor out... You first must remove the engine lol

Priceless

And to get the starter out on the new range rover v8 4.4 twin turbo diesel, you have to drop the subframe lol

DAN-F
07-04-08, 10:11 PM
ive had a saxo vts exactly teh same cr underneath as a 106 gti, theyre 120 bhp, but thet dont take a lot to get em up around 140-150 quick little motors, but its the handling what sets them apart from any nova ive owned, i love my novas but saxo's and 106's handling amazing
build quality is total rubish though ive had mechanno sets with better quality