PDA

View Full Version : Gears setup

greg1.4
17-03-08, 08:52 PM
i dont really know what to do when it comes to gearboxes etc so any help will be great..:thumb:

i am building a rally car, so i want to change gear as quick as possible..i am going for a F13CR box as it is close ratio..lol

what does a cav internal shifter do? would this be a good idea?

then i thought about a quickshift linkage from rally design, will this help?

i want a LSD, going for 90% quaife..

i also want a lower FD so its quick off the line but maybe only does 110mph max..

the next thing is a clutch setup..

i want a race/paddle clutch.. i have heard people going on about covers and plates etc etc..

can i buy a competition clutch kit ready to fit straight on which is suitable for rallying?? if so where?

cheers

Greg

bullseye
17-03-08, 09:32 PM
Greg,
Is this your first competition car? assuming it is what size engine are you fitting? this will determine what gearbox you choose, also are you building a tarmac rally car or a stage car? again this will all affect what to fit.
I have a rally Nova which has the following and is plenty good enough for now.
1.3 SR running twin 40's
270 degree cam
F10 box full of Quaif gears
LSD
Harry Hockley paddle clutch
plus all the other bits you need to rally

Next mod will be to fit the red top I have waiting in the wings with a pair of 45's, I will probably keep the gearbox as is and see what happens.

If its bits your after try rallyusedparts.co.uk usually loads of vauxhall stuff on there

I dont have a quick shift I dont feel the need for it at present.
Cheers

Keith

greg1.4
18-03-08, 08:09 AM
Thanks Keith, i am running a 1400 sr with 40's, 300deg cam, ported and polished head, big valves bla bla bla..

I am thinking about doing a bit of both, tarmac and forest..maybe i should build 2 gearboxes..lol

Stuart
18-03-08, 08:40 AM
a 4.18 FD will be an ideal base. if you can find one a 4.29 would be great and the 4.53FD would give you all out accel etc.

you can mess about working out the speeds from my sig link "speed in gear" to work out your max speed at the rev limit etc.