PDA

View Full Version : DE-VIYNLING

danNOVA
13-08-02, 05:20 AM
:x HELP!!!!IVE JUST GOT MYSELF MY FIRST NOVA 1.4SR AND ITS ON ITS WAY TO BEING HEAVILY MOD'D. BUT..I CANT GET THE DAMN VIYNL OFF THE SIDES. IS THERE A WAY OF DOING THIS WITHOUT KNAKKERING THE PAINT UNDERNEATH OR CAN A GARAGE DO IT, IF SO HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST?????

Matt Finary
13-08-02, 10:46 AM
What you need to do is heat up the vinyl with a hair dryer or hot air. work your way along and the vinyl will soften and lift, then you just pull it off as you go. Becareful not to heat it up for to long and make sure your doors are mint because it will look sh!t if the doors are rusted. if there is any adhesive left just take it off with some degreaser(jizer). it will take an hour or two to do.

:)

Matt

MattyWoo
13-08-02, 04:11 PM
I was gonna ask the same question at the weekend, then just went for it instead, took me 4 hours to do one side and 2 hours for the other side, the vinyl itself came off, it was jsut the sticky stuff undernearth, took a long time!!! and around the windows is a bit tricky.
A tip that my mate gave me, if u have a tricky bit, put some insulating tape over a screwdriver end and use that so as not to damagae the paint, but don't kill me if it does scratch it, cos he told me AFTER i'd done it all.

carltoncrazy
13-08-02, 04:20 PM
also remember that your paint wont match after,because the paint fades

danNOVA
17-08-02, 01:02 AM
i got the vinyl off...eventually! took me ages did have to heat it up first.there was rust and the paint peeled where the rust was so im off to get some tuch up paint and my car will be sorted :lol:

ade
17-08-02, 01:52 AM
...until the rust comes back with we vengence!!!

Make sure you treat it before touching it up!

Krust, rust stopper/killer will do trick - better still, sand it way, prime thr are and respray it.

Ade

:wink:

locky
17-08-02, 10:06 AM
I found that the easiest way to get the sticky stuff off under the vinyl is to use a fudge wheel (a rubber block that smells of fudge!).
Good luck!

cassanova
20-08-02, 10:57 PM
I did mine with boiling water :lol: sat outside for a whole day with a kettle on an extension lead and a hose pipe. Worked a treat, fingers didnt work for a while after tho :roll: