PDA

View Full Version : advice please...

Plunky
16-03-08, 12:33 PM
i have just got a 1.2 nova, everything has been done ready for a conversion...
i am just trying to work out what engine to put in it. the biggest i can go really is a 1600 due to insurance reasons.
so my question is what would be the better 1.6 engine and gearbox to go for. bare in mind i want to throttle body it at a later date.
cheers for any help!
Liam

Shaun_O'Donnell
16-03-08, 01:13 PM
If you stick with either a 1.3 or 1.4 SR engine you won't need to change fuel tanks. Instead of throttle bodies, why not go twin 40's?

Plunky
16-03-08, 01:16 PM
would twin webbers be better than throttle bodies then? really want to go bigger than a 1.4...been then done that

Iain
16-03-08, 01:20 PM
If you stick with either a 1.3 or 1.4 SR engine you won't need to change fuel tanks. Instead of throttle bodies, why not go twin 40's?

Why do you say that? It could be a 1.2 SPI?

The Nova GTE/GSi 8v engine is an easy swap, although not sure how they are on throttlebodies. The 1.6 16v from a Corsa is more tunable from what I've heard and similar on insurance to the 8v.

Plunky
16-03-08, 01:28 PM
what would be the best gearbox for the corsa 1.6 16v engine? just the one that comes with the engine?

Shaun_O'Donnell
16-03-08, 01:30 PM
Why do you say that? It could be a 1.2 SPI?

Ooops, forgot about those.

Iain
16-03-08, 01:31 PM
Can you clarify for us if you have a carb or injection Nova Plunky?

Plunky
16-03-08, 01:34 PM
1.2 injection

BIGS
16-03-08, 01:43 PM
tbh honist depends how far you want to go on the tunning? unless you want to spend loads on the 1.6 16v, i would go with the 1.4 16v as they seem to be a better reving engine. And there is throttlebodys from a bike that has the exact spacing for it so very easy to fit. Cant think at the mo what they are but could find out from my mate if needed. Plus you can pick the tb's up on ebay for ?50!

Plunky
16-03-08, 01:45 PM
tbh honist depends how far you want to go on the tunning? unless you want to spend loads on the 1.6 16v, i would go with the 1.4 16v as they seem to be a better reving engine. And there is throttlebodys from a bike that has the exact spacing for it so very easy to fit. Cant think at the mo what they are but could find out from my mate if needed. Plus you can pick the tb's up on ebay for ?50!

would be good if you could get the details mate! cheers

i'm still undecided on going for the 1.6 or going redtop....does anyone know if the insurance just see it as an engine conversion or do they actually change the policy according to the engine size?

mattm
16-03-08, 04:19 PM
I would have thought that they go by the engine size, but i may be wrong.
They will also probably want to see an engineers report, just so they know that the car is safe etc...

I would personally go for a GTE/GSi engine with webbers and a nice cam...

andy_srt40
17-03-08, 08:19 AM
throttle bodies from a a honda cbr fireblade are the ones which are the same spacing as the vx small blocks, and the cheapest i've seen them on ebay for was ?99!!

but then you will need management, a loom and a mapping session so with the manifold its still a good ?700-1000 conversion