PDA

View Full Version : Sticking Caliper

Leeboo
15-03-08, 06:16 PM
As the title indicates, my passenger side front brake caliper is seized/sticking on my Nova. It doesn't release properly.

Is it a replacement job or can it be inspected and fixed?

ive_had_a_novadose
15-03-08, 06:33 PM
Its alot easyer to just buy a new caliper but if you want to fix it and if its not completly siezed you can get a mate to help you and strip down the brakes get the caliper out and free then get your mate to press the brake pedal so the piston pushes out but not all the way then get some WD40 or any other lubracation and spray it inside of the rubber boot around the piston and work the piston in and out quite a few times this should make it alot more free to move

Bit of a ballache doing it but saves money

Leeboo
15-03-08, 06:51 PM
Ok cheers, I might try to find a replacement first then!

Asa-James
15-03-08, 09:01 PM
wait wait wait....what calipers are they? it might be the sliders if they are standard nova brakes, i had them go on mine. look on ebay for cavalier slider repair kit, like this one... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-CAVALIER-BRAKE-CALIPER-SLIDE-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ370031603143QQihZ024QQcategoryZ10404Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem i fitted a set to my calipers, worked like new uns! just make sure to clean the inside of the caliper out properly before reassembly, and always fit the cups over the screws (i siliconed mine into place)

Leeboo
16-03-08, 11:17 AM
Thanks for that novaSR-ish! A friend is going to look at the faulty caliper first so I haven't looked for a new one. I might end up doing the same as you then!! Cheers:thumb: