PDA

View Full Version : Ignition timing/Vacuum Advance

kent14sr
15-03-08, 04:48 PM
Having a few problems setting ignition timing on my 1.4 sr (carb)....

When its about correct the idle is too high, and if timing is changed so idle is normal then timing is out (retarded!)

Also, to set the timing I believe you are supposed to take off the vacuum pipe from top of dizzy . . whhen I do this it makes no difference to the running of the engine although I can feel the carb sucking if I put my finger over the end of the pipe - is this normal??

Any ideas??

Adam
15-03-08, 04:58 PM
Turn the idle down then.......

Yeah you do it with the vacuum pipe disconnected and the pipe plugged.

Asa-James
15-03-08, 05:00 PM
the vac pipe should suck, but doesnt come into effect until high revs really. as advised leave it disconnected (dont know why myself, but hey ho) also, once you have set the timing right and the idle is high, i'd adjust the idle stop on the carb to bring it down to about 800-900 rpm. plus you could check your vac unit while your there, disconnect the pipe from the top, and with the engine running suck on the vac unit to create a vacuum. if the revs rise and you can't really suck air, its okies, if nothing happens you could do with a new vac advance unit

Edit; damn, beat me to it!

Adam
15-03-08, 05:03 PM
The vac advance only works at idle, because at idle engine vacuum is at its highest.

kent14sr
15-03-08, 05:07 PM
Cool, thanks for that..

If the vacuum thing is broken does it mean a new dizzy or can it be bought and fitted seperately?

Asa-James
15-03-08, 05:10 PM
bought and fitted separately, bit fidgety to do, and costs about ?27 iirc

adam--i'll take your word for it, but mine must have been piped up wrong (i'm sure it worked the other way in mine)

Adam
15-03-08, 05:11 PM
Cool, thanks for that..

If the vacuum thing is broken does it mean a new dizzy or can it be bought and fitted seperately?
It aint really needed any tbh.

Asa-James
15-03-08, 05:12 PM
It aint really needed any tbh.

agreed, never really noticed a differnce in mine

kent14sr
15-03-08, 05:14 PM
Excellent - even better then!

I think with the idle speed turned down it will be back to its best again!!