PDA

View Full Version : winter......air filter

dave.gsi
12-08-02, 12:09 AM
my car (1.3sr) has a jr bolt on filter. winter is on its way and as i understand it most ppl change back to standard air filter when it gets cold. the problem is it was on the car when i bought it and i dont have the original airbox...........so, the question is......is it worth buying a second hand airbox from a scrappy , and also what exactly happens if you leave the filter on?????

ade
12-08-02, 01:19 AM
I will have similar prob with my bolt on K&N - most peeps experience frozen condensation onthe inside of the carb - the standard filter has a feed from the manifold (heat) which keeps it defrosted - bugger is 1st thing in a morning coz the carb is condensed with frosty air - standard box no good to you then so no odds really!

You can get heat exchange kits that pass heat to the bolt on filter, handy if you are travelling great distances at speed (m/way) where air flow is much colder.

I plan to rig a manifold heat hose (them solver bendy things) from thr manifold over top of engine to a bracket just in front of my K&N - that should give it enough warm air (in theory)

Ade
:wink:

Adam Moran
12-08-02, 06:37 PM
I've just bought a Green Air filter for my car and i'm going to do the same thing, just get some bendy alum tubing and bob ya mother!! (depending on where you come from!!)

Any one else got a Green Air filter??

Cheers

AJ

carltoncrazy
12-08-02, 09:20 PM
lol this is a laugh.but true
when i used to thrash my old v8,i had a brillent way to solve this.
it wont work for youlot,but it might.
i used to park my range rover down the side of the house,
where the hot air vent was,kept the car warm all night.
and let be honest when v8 gets going with the way i drive,
it aint gonna be cold for long.
but yes the idea of the tube is a good one,but to be honest,all cars h8 starting when its cold,
lets face it cars and ppl are the same,
on cold mornings we hate doing any work

brian
12-08-02, 10:20 PM
i had a pipercross bolt-on filter on my sr carb one time and on really cold days the engine ran S**T once the filter kept giving the carb cold air!
changed back to the standard one and it was sound!

brian
12-08-02, 10:22 PM
can't seem ta get the pic on left lookin right!! ah well ill keep tryin! :?

carltoncrazy
13-08-02, 12:05 PM
well the way get around this is,keep ya motor in a warm garage,run engine in garage(wiv door open)for about 10 mins whilst it warms up,then drive it,
coz the heat from the engine heat up the whole engine bay so that should do the trick

rgv_stu
13-08-02, 01:31 PM
the problem aint from a cold engine so that wont work

carb icing happens from the cold air passing thru the venturi's and crystalising ie.ice .this gradually builds up until the venturi is blocked so much that the car runs rich and eventually looses power and dies. also the idle hole can freeze over giving no idle and poor bottom end performance.

just use the frying pan airbox or feed hot air from the manifold

carltoncrazy
13-08-02, 02:28 PM
ohhhhhh i get ya,
soz my range rover had fans n stuff which heated/coolerd the engine.
sorry guys

ade
13-08-02, 11:55 PM
so thats why in the cold (even with a normal standard filter) my car dies at traffic lights when I 1st start her up.

Not looking fwd to winter if I had those probs on my std one my k&n's gonna be an arse! Hope me hot hose works...

Ade
:(

dave.gsi
14-08-02, 12:08 AM
hot hose lol, i'll give that a try come winter lol