PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the steering wheel

Jenster101
15-03-08, 12:12 PM
Hey just got an sri steering wheel :D . problem is i have heard it can be a real pig to change!! Any hints, tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve
15-03-08, 12:20 PM
Good luck doing it yourself! lol

My last one took the garage an hour and a half WITH a puller.

NovaLad
15-03-08, 12:57 PM
Took me and my dad about 30 mins. Hard to explain how to do it.

Just tug lol.

lee coley
15-03-08, 01:01 PM
Not hard at all.just dont use a hammer.

Im heavy handed so i got our lass to remove mine.

boyle_46
15-03-08, 02:26 PM
mate i spent a night at this on my car and well the first night i thought ok piece of wee wee , sprayed plenty of wd40 on it and took the nut off , and pulled , this did not work , tryed a puller and that didnt work it just cut into the foam on the back of the wheel , so i thought fcuk this and left it , then got my trusty de walt out and drilled very carefully beside the threads to weaken them and pulled it off , make sure after you stop drilling put the bolt back on to save you face . il take a pic of my old wheel and where to drill . Nath .

Adam
15-03-08, 03:05 PM
Not hard at all.just dont use a hammer.

What he said/\
Usually there not tight as tight as people make out (the nuts only done to about 30nm......) Its just people use the wrong method to remove them.

Ive found the trick is to just wiggle the wheel side to side, and then up and down, to loosen its fit on the splines.
DONT just smash the back of it with a hammer, because alls that does is make it tighter(because its just moving one bit of the wheel), the whole thing needs to slide squarely off the splines....

I removed one in a scrappy today in about 5mins, by hand. Just by shaking it to loosen it, and then "wiggling" it off..... No hammers needed.

kent14sr
15-03-08, 05:12 PM
The trick I use that was suggested to me by a Vauxhall technician is to loosen the nut and then use something like a socket extension bar and put it over the end of the column and then give it two or three heavy blows to shock it- I have used this way numerous times with success. Usually after three blows or so the steering wheels pops up to the loosened nut (with the pressure from spring behind!)

twistysnovagte
16-03-08, 06:04 PM
What he said/\
Usually there not tight as tight as people make out (the nuts only done to about 30nm......) Its just people use the wrong method to remove them.

Ive found the trick is to just wiggle the wheel side to side, and then up and down, to loosen its fit on the splines.
DONT just smash the back of it with a hammer, because alls that does is make it tighter(because its just moving one bit of the wheel), the whole thing needs to slide squarely off the splines....

I removed one in a scrappy today in about 5mins, by hand. Just by shaking it to loosen it, and then "wiggling" it off..... No hammers needed.exactly how i got mine off,no need for hammers etc undo the nut leaving it on a couple of threads. give the wheel a good pull slightly to either side,and when it does give, the nut that is still on.will stop the wheel smashing you in the face;)

peester
16-03-08, 07:04 PM
take nut off, try by hand.. if not use puller. Take ur time.

draper
16-03-08, 07:05 PM
The trick I use that was suggested to me by a Vauxhall technician is to loosen the nut and then use something like a socket extension bar and put it over the end of the column and then give it two or three heavy blows to shock it- I have used this way numerous times with success. Usually after three blows or so the steering wheels pops up to the loosened nut (with the pressure from spring behind!)

:thumb:

Mike.
16-03-08, 08:00 PM

thats how one of my mates removed the steering wheel on my old car

Jenster101
17-03-08, 10:04 AM
Hey everyone!
Thanks for all the tips, had the other half out there yesterday working on it with me, but no luck yet - seems to be on there rock solid! Might have another go this eve if it's not too dark when we get home - will keep you posted! Got new clocks coming to fit next weekend!
Jen

Bhav_M
18-03-08, 09:36 PM
just bin reading this thread & i know how much of a pain they are to get off & i actually have a steering wheel puller that got my wheel off in a matter of minutes
if your up in the northampton area & you got another wheel you want putting on let me know

Tim
19-03-08, 09:13 PM
i had a bit of a mission trying to do this a while back.

this sounds a bit obscure but it worked for me,

1. place large bucket under steering wheel in footwell.

2. boil a kettle of water up.

3. pour boiling water inside steering wheel with the nut just threaded on to spline.

4. give a good pull and bingo off it should pop.

i tried all the mentioned methods with no success and this worked first time.

good luck

tim

dave.gsi
19-03-08, 10:32 PM
i bought a puller from halfords. it didn't fit :wtf:

so i got the grinder out and shaped the ends so it did fit.....5 minutes later the wheel was off :thumb:

Steve
20-03-08, 12:35 PM
I've given up trying to do mine, spent half an hour trying to shock it off with no success, and shaking it also did bugger all.

If anyone at the rolling road day fancies a go you're more than welcome to.