PDA

View Full Version : spacers

-AL-
14-03-08, 04:28 PM
Anyone use them? want 10mm ones for my car but have been told I will get wheel wobble above 60ish.

Adam
14-03-08, 06:28 PM
And you will kill wheel bearings in no time, as your putting a lot of stress on the bearings/hubs that they weren't designed to tolerate.

walshc
14-03-08, 08:44 PM
I ran 20mm hubcentric ones on my golf for about 6 months, didnt notice any wobble :confused: i can see why you would with non hubcentrics if theyre out a little though, but surely you`d get woblle at any speeds????????

I didnt have any bearing issues either in that time, but it was only a matter of time really lol

As Adam says, you`ll be putting extra stress/strain on the bearings

staggy_gsi
14-03-08, 09:19 PM
i ran 5mm ones on my cav for about a year without a problem but 10mm ones will put more stress on bearings etc as previously said. dont know if youll get any wobble though, i didnt.

-AL-
16-03-08, 09:13 PM
cant see how they would kill my bearings as spacers dont weigh much, if thats the case you would kill ya bearings just by puttin bigger wheels on.

thanks tho

draper
16-03-08, 09:15 PM
cant see how they would kill my bearings as spacers dont weigh much, if thats the case you would kill ya bearings just by puttin bigger wheels on.

thanks tho

which does also happen

nathan.
17-03-08, 02:16 PM
I'm running 20mm wheel spacers on the front of mine for a while, they are hubcentric so they sit central onthe hub. I don't get any wobble.

They do put extra stress on the wheel bearings reducing the lifespan.

Jack
17-03-08, 02:42 PM
Spacers cause vibration in the steering and suspension by slipping offcentre, thats why hubcentric ones (if they're machined properly) shouldn't give any vibration.

Bigger (well, heavier and/or wider) wheels can indeed put extra strain on the hubs, but its more to do with pushing the centreline of the wheel away from where it should be. Imagine if you hold a bucket of water close to your chest, its easy to take the weight. Now imagine holding that bucket at arms length - it will feel a lot heavier and put strain on your arms. Thats similar to the strain put on the wheel bolts and hubs.

Hence why its important to keep close to the correct offset when putting on different wheels, as it keeps the wheel-hub balance within stress tolerances.

macc nova
17-03-08, 04:02 PM
i ran nonhubcentric 10mm spacer for about 6 months and they were fine! no wobble at all.