PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 1.6T owners

Mike
12-03-08, 03:59 PM
Need to have a butchers at how youve ran your intercooler piping please. Ive been through the galleries but theres not really that many useful pics...

Or anyone with any pics that could help me out please.

Mike.

craig green
12-03-08, 04:51 PM
Totally depends on the turbo & intercooler you intend to use, surely?

Surely a man of your abilities can use common sense? The little room available should show you the best method.

Mike
12-03-08, 05:08 PM
Surely a man of your abilities

I like that bit :cool: lol

Thing is Craig, the engines out, so theres nothing actually there to geustimate what room will be left where.

To open up a little more space ill be using a front mounted rad fan though. Im planning on sitting the cooler infront of the rad, either off set to the drivers side or centrally mounted, lower down infront of the lower valance.

Adam
12-03-08, 05:31 PM
The trickiest bit imo will be/is fitting the ic to tb boost hose.
As it'll have to go over the drivers side of the engine bay, which is a little tight for space.
You can free more space up by fitting the inlet pipe/afm to the gearbox side of the engine bay though

Mike
12-03-08, 05:35 PM
I was thinking a simple 90degree silicone on the TB, straight pipe section going downward to the IC.

I have seen some pics of 1600T's with the AFM mounted on the pass side of the engine, thing is, you have a nice hot expansion tank sitting there too, disappating umpteen amounts of heat from (in my case) its aluminium housing lol

Paul
12-03-08, 07:42 PM
basically, all depends on what turbo and IC you want to run...

You will udoubtedly have to hack away something somewhere lol.

imnobby
13-03-08, 01:33 PM
ive taken some poo photos of my 1.6 turbo but it may differ (I honestly wouldnt know) from your 1.6 turbo as my engine is a corsa gsi turbo not a nova gsi turbo but it is still fitted into in a nova shell, the biggest problem i have had is space issues as i am goin to have to cut some of the lower slam panel i am running a 1.7 corsa diesel rad which is way too big for the car but its what i have so i have got to run with it, but to be honest mate the best thing is to get the engine in the car and see what room your going to have, as what you think your have and what your going to have will be a big difference im in the process of making pipework up now so ill let you know how i get on here are the poo pics i took,

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/imnobby39/DSC00476.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/imnobby39/DSC00475.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/imnobby39/DSC00471.jpg

imnobby
13-03-08, 01:34 PM
sorry about the large pics thought it might help the lad

craig green
13-03-08, 02:35 PM
16valve turbo but no funds for a proper Nova radiator????? :confused:

Funk cutting up the front end if its the wrong rad causing issues.

Mike, I wanted to reverse the TB on the inlet to the LHside & route the pipework like a LET. Makes it easier for a typical front mount, else use a twin pass IC & have all the pipework on the RHside.

Post up pics of your turbo.

Mike
13-03-08, 03:05 PM
I looked into reversing the inlet manifold Craig, but i dont really want to go down that route and totally funk up my sexual inlet manifold after all the work that went into it.

The turbo hasnt arrived yet so i cant get any pictures of it either :( altough its only a normal T2 with a 360deg thrust bearing and uprated actuator.

craig green
13-03-08, 05:04 PM
360 deg thrust bearing on a T2???

If its anything like the T2 I had I'm pretty sure it willlend itself best to pushing the compressed charge out, facing the drivers side chassis leg.

You want to keep bends to a minimum to avoid pressure drops. I cant help but feel that the way Courtenay did it was ideal unless you switch the TB across like I suggested & use a typical fr mount cooler. I was contemplating doing that with mine, but purely to have an IC hanging out my fr bumper.

Mike
13-03-08, 05:32 PM
Ah, im looking to sit the IC behind the bumper (GSi bumper with ram bar removed) so's to keep it nice and stealth.

When i was looking into the conversion before I did seriously lean more towards the twin pass style cooler, and due to space and stealth factor a twin pass will 95% garanteed for my conversion.

Im sure you mentioned to me before about Courtenay rivetting the hose onto the AFM so the boost pressure doesnt pop it off? Would i be right in saying that Craig??

Green16v
16-03-08, 12:16 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70971&page=3

have a look at my thread there are lots of pics of my pipe work. put some pics up of how far you are up to.