PDA

View Full Version : Some proper BTCC

Lee
11-03-08, 11:12 PM
Found this great clip of when Mansell was driving BTCC, not long before the budget was cut and the BTCC effectively died (and still hasnt recovered IMO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRz1zQTDNYk

Bear in mind, the mondigo in the blue livery wasnt particularly competitive at all, especially with the Nissans so strong.

nov4801
12-03-08, 12:02 AM
awsome bit of driving, got to love the btcc

burgo
12-03-08, 01:09 AM
i knew what video that was before even opening it. and i still remember sitting on the floor in front of the tele all those years ago watching it live.

will btcc ever be the same again

novacabrio
12-03-08, 08:36 AM
Can't belive Matt Neal was so far back? Surely at Max Power sticker is worthy of more?

Mike.
12-03-08, 10:27 AM
i knew what video that was before even opening it. and i still remember sitting on the floor in front of the tele all those years ago watching it live.

exactly awesome race, mansell proved he still had it, even though he took it all as a bit of fun lol

Mike.
12-03-08, 10:32 AM
you've got to love the classic stuff aswell

1992 anybody, should have been clelands year lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPAcb3I4h4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCij9mYIokA&feature=related

BigStan
12-03-08, 03:10 PM
If only it was still as exciting !!!

brucer
12-03-08, 07:12 PM
liking the ones from '92.hopefully should be going to some of this years races but as said,isnt as good.

mowgli
12-03-08, 08:13 PM
the 92 stuff was classic. the cars were much more basic, no trick aero stuff, the toyotas had unbelievable rear end hop, the listerine bmw's were run by vic lee motorsport. they had a huge budget, mostly due to vic's policy of doing races in europe & smuggling drugs back in acetylene bottles...Cough Cough

try this one B'ham superprix 89 with sierra cosworths, the 92 cars were actually quicker with 1/2 the power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXzrNyMc6I&feature=related

Mike.
12-03-08, 09:50 PM
1992 was the best year for me by far, the cars were brilliant and the championship was incredibly close, right to the infamous finale

Lee
12-03-08, 10:02 PM

Good question. Id love more than anything in the world to go back to the Supertourers, but that will only happen if theres enough interest from manufacturers. I think the BTCC is definately getting better, I for one like to watch it now, which a few years ago, I definately didn't.

But there still a huge gap from the essentially 'race prepared' stock saloon cars we have now to the big power carbon fiber, completely race prepped from the ground up supertourers from 10 years ago.

The people who bought all the old supertourers still have race meetings. I went to one once. Unfortunately its just a load of rich boys playing with their toys, afraid to scratch the paintwork. But even then, hearing a TB'd V6 Mondeo come past at full chat, or a swindon engined Cav with most of the wheels up in its arches still made me nurse a semi all afternoon.

Matt Pickering
12-03-08, 10:48 PM
The Names of Jon Cleland, Steve Soper and the cars such as Caviliers, 3 series Bmw, and i bet you never thought yuo'd see a Volvo Estate racing round Brands Hatch.

Good old Days, Ah the memories!!

Matt

burgo
13-03-08, 01:29 AM
hmmm i dont remember watching the 1992 races on tv but then i would of only been 7 then lol.

and the volvo estates i think are my all time favorite touring car just because they are so wrong lol

although the green and gold 406's had a lush paint job

Lee
13-03-08, 10:35 PM
hmmm i dont remember watching the 1992 races on tv but then i would of only been 7 then lol.

and the volvo estates i think are my all time favorite touring car just because they are so wrong lol

although the green and gold 406's had a lush paint job

The story about the Estates is a cracker as well. Everyone thinks it was a big marketing ploy from Volvo, but thats not the case. When the motorsport division turned up at the plant for their 850 bodyshells, there were no saloons availiable, only estates. The team basically decided to take the estate shells so as not to lose any time on development.

The marketing potential was only realised afterwards lol

burgo
13-03-08, 10:39 PM
lol well i never knew that