PDA

View Full Version : Removing body mouldings.

Jcb
11-03-08, 11:06 PM
Just a quick one. How do you go about taking of the door handles? What about bump strips? And are the lock surrounds just glued on?

Thanks.

Jack
11-03-08, 11:13 PM
Door handles - assuming you mean exterior, they're just held in by two bolts, but you'll need to wiggle the rod off the handle. Remove the door card and it should be straight forward when you're looking at it.

Bump strips - see how to guide for debadging, its the same theory.

Lock surrounds - not sure what you mean by that, the locks don't have any surrounds? :confused:

NovaLad
11-03-08, 11:24 PM
He means the black plastic seal around the lock where you put ya key.

Mine is missing on 1 side.

Jcb
12-03-08, 07:25 AM
Yeah it's just a small plastic ring around the door barrel. I'll try prizing it off and see what happens!

Shaun_O'Donnell
12-03-08, 07:32 AM
Yeah it's just a small plastic ring around the door barrel. I'll try prizing it off and see what happens!

Nooooooooooooo,

Remove the lock, then unclip the surround from it. Any other method with just damage the plastic and possible the door.

The lock is a piece of pi$$ to remove once you take off the door card and look in.

Aamir
12-03-08, 09:53 AM
Are the door rubbing strips glued on ?

Are there any fixing holes underneath the strip ?

Jcb
12-03-08, 10:18 AM
I don't know yet, haven't had a chance to look.

Jack
12-03-08, 10:55 AM
Glued, although some very early novas had rivetted clips holding them on.

Jcb
12-03-08, 03:21 PM
Good guide on removing the badges and bump strips.

But how would I go about sticking them back on?

That's both badges and bumpstrips as I want to paint both items black.

Iain
12-03-08, 03:26 PM
You could stick the bump strips back on with that fancy padded double sided sticky tape. Unfortunately I doubt you'll be able to remove them without bending them out of shape though!

Jcb
12-03-08, 03:42 PM
Ah. Bugger. Have they got metal inside them to hold their shape?

Any ideas?

Jack
12-03-08, 05:13 PM
Mk1 or Mk2?

Halfords sell trim tape, but its not exactly strong stuff. However they do sell small sheets of white square sticky pads, for holding number plates etc onto caravans and that stuff seems to be a lot stronger - drawback being you don't get much of it to a sheet.

You could use some form of sealant, tigerseal etc, which would hold them on a treat, but if you want to remove them in the future you're screwed lol

Jcb
12-03-08, 05:41 PM
Ah. It's a mk2. Which means they are glued on right? Not riveted clips?

Well sticking them back on shouldn't be too much problem. More worried about taking them off without them getting all bent and warped. How likely is it you can prize them off neatly?

NovaLad
12-03-08, 05:44 PM
Very unlikely if you don't have patience lol. like me.

Jcb
12-03-08, 05:46 PM
Not even if you try and do it vertically? As opposed to whipping them off horizontally? And with heat gunning them too?

They really ought to come off to be sanded before being sprayed, which I also couldn't really do on the car. :s

NovaLad
12-03-08, 05:49 PM
Not sure pal.

I tried to take time with mine but they just stressed me out so ripped up off.

TBH if they still sell them at a vauxhall dealers buy some brand new and then work from their.

Jcb
12-03-08, 05:53 PM
Good idea.

So they have a bendy metal inner do they? Is the problem that they twist or just bend?

Iain
12-03-08, 05:53 PM
You can try and "cut" them off, as any pulling or bending makes them out of shape. I find it enough of a ballache removing them with force though. lol

I doubt Vauxhall still sell them - I inquired to Duick about getting these parts and it came to about ?90 the full set IIRC!

Jcb
12-03-08, 05:57 PM
**** a duck. I best try my hardest to keep these ones straight then!