PDA

View Full Version : What rust prevention do you use?

ian.sutton
11-03-08, 10:12 PM
Hi guys,

After finding surface rust on the Nova (not surprising I know) I'm interested in knowing what you've used once youve taken it back to bare metal.

With any bad rust I would cut out the area and replate it, but I'm talking bubbled rust that has just started eating the metal.

I found some of this in my garage that I bought ages ago, was quite expensive if I remember. It's a thick pink goo.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/troop16v/P1010153.jpg

Care to share what products youve used and your opinions? :thumb:

Jenks
11-03-08, 10:14 PM
Hammerite Kurust is what i used! seems to be good stuff!

novacabrio
11-03-08, 10:19 PM
Not sure if its worth it, it'll still come back although worth bearing in mind that any rust preventor will only delay it and the other thing, I always use Krust but neverhold my breath

Adam
11-03-08, 11:26 PM
Not sure if its worth it, it'll still come back although worth bearing in mind that any rust preventor will only delay it and the other thing, I always use Krust but neverhold my breath
What he said /\
The only way to stop rust is to remove it.

If you can get it back to bare metal then use some etch primer on it, then paint and underseal.

lee coley
12-03-08, 07:02 AM
take it to bare metal,if you dont remove all the rust then it wil come back within months.

chop the section out and plate it up.use zinc primer before welding the section.make sure the bare welds are covered on the back with zinc and paint/stone guard

Thats the only way.

ian.sutton
12-03-08, 07:33 AM
Cheers guys.

I guess the the zinc primer comes in spray can form?

Or brush on?

meritlover
12-03-08, 03:10 PM
sand blast it then treat with k rust, jenolite etc. you must first remove as much of the rust as you can. or the rust eater solution will not soak deep into the rust that is closest to the metal. do not try to gring the rust away or this will result in thinning of the good metal.

pre primering the panels is ok with spot welds as the heat is fairly localised, but for mig/tig/gas welding on large seamed panels, it simply burns off anyway.

Dec16v
20-03-08, 03:18 PM
take it to bare metal,if you dont remove all the rust then it wil come back within months.

chop the section out and plate it up.use zinc primer before welding the section.make sure the bare welds are covered on the back with zinc and paint/stone guard

Thats the only way.

That's good advice :thumb:

Ian, this is the anti-rust protection I used on all my suspension parts...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/Declan1979/S7001103.jpg

Like Yoza said, you need to remove all traces of rust... and that means if it's not shiney silver metal - it's still rusty!

Dec

NovaLad
20-03-08, 03:23 PM
I didn't use rust prevention when i did my arches just rubbed back to bare metal and primered then painted and it took 3 months to come back through.