PDA

View Full Version : gsi tuning?

joeleeman
11-03-08, 07:56 PM
you may have seen a previous thread of mine of my bog standard k reg gsi. it needs a full body resto which im saving up for atm and while the engines out i want to get as much power as possible.
so far i was going to upgrade the head, i.e gasflow new cam etc and i cant think of what else.
can you get high flow inlet manifolds? upgraded throttle body, or even a throttle body set up?
any help will be appreciated, cheers joe

7ova
11-03-08, 08:38 PM
pm sent!

draper
11-03-08, 08:40 PM
why send him a PM and not share the info ??

BenNova
11-03-08, 10:12 PM
why send him a PM and not share the info ??

What he said :thumb:

MC
11-03-08, 10:31 PM
The first thing to do is set a target. i.e. the desired horsepower and most people want as much as possible for their budget.

Next step, regardless of the above is to have a top quality head job. Ignore 'stage 1, 2, 3' rubbish and find a firm that will talk to you about your engine plans and how far you want to go. Ultimately you should look at enlarging both the inlet and exhaust valves and see if you can get them to waste the inlet valve stems. The porting is hard to quantify so look for a reputation in the motorsport world.

Camshaft spec will be dependent on budget as you may want to stick with the stock ECU. If so I'd stay below 285deg duration from someone like Piper. If you are going to replace your ECU with a fully mappable item or you are going to go to multiple TB's or Carbs then I'd happily look towards 300deg. *Cams should be chosen based on full engine spec*

If you have the money have the bottom end re-conned and overbored to 1650cc at the same time. This will raise the Compression ratio in addition to the extra capacity. Whilst doing this think about durability.

The above mods will prove quite successful, even on the stock ECU. You will reap even more rewards if you have a mappable ECU or Twin 40's. Both will run smoothly, have plenty of torque and will make good bhp. Do no listen to stories of poor running carbs, it will be down to the person who owns the car!

Oh, and don't forget a decent exhaust manifold and system!

Lee
11-03-08, 10:35 PM
Also, dont forget to upgrade the brakes at the same time. Its one thing making it quicker, but you'll also need to rake it in quicker as well. 2.0 ATE brakes are your best bet, but bear in mind youll need to be running 14 inch steels (14 inch GSi alloys wont fir over them unless you grind either the wheel or calliper, neither a good idea IMO)