PDA

View Full Version : ReAr DiScS

rapid-nova
10-08-02, 03:46 AM
HEY PEEP IM LOOKING TO PUT REAR DISCS ONTO MY PROJECT NOVA BUT I NEED MORE INFO I.E PICS AND WORDS IV CHECKED IT OUT ON THE WEB BUT ONLY KEEP COMING UP WITH VAG DESCRIPTIONS
CHEERS

dan16v
10-08-02, 12:28 PM
stick with drums m8! i know peps who rally novas and they all told me not to do the conversion as they said if you do it it is advisable to use an adjustable brake bias and wind it rite down, well if you wind it down you may as well just have the drums in the first place! :roll:

Ben (lurk75)
10-08-02, 02:45 PM
i agree with Dan, i was advise not to do the rear disc conversion so i bought some GP A alloy rear hubs instead and these made a big difference and with upgraded front brakes as well my car stops a lot better than 2 of my mates who have got the rear disc conversion.

(if you do want some alloy rear hubs PM as i can source you some)

mikesri
10-08-02, 07:36 PM
I hate to agree with dan but he's..... can i say it....... right!!! Disks are a waste of time and effort. like he said u have the same power as drums once the bias is fitted. If you really want rear disks go to les smiths and buy some dummy ones!!!!!!!!! much cheaper and less hasle!!!!! STICK TO DRUMS.

Dan
10-08-02, 08:36 PM
If you want to improve the rear you can get SPIRA GROOVE rear drums, i wont comment on their performance as i have never had the benefit to try em out but they are an improvement on standard drums so i believe :D

rapid-nova
10-08-02, 10:40 PM
it really for the style i dont mind the work i just want something differant from all my m8s i dont mind fitting a bias if thats wot it takes so has any one pics and info???

dan16v
10-08-02, 10:48 PM
i believe there is a real good guide on this wonderful site its self m8? still id rather spend the ?? on sum big front brakes there the ones that do all the work

carltoncrazy
10-08-02, 10:53 PM
hi,
sorry but cant see what the point is,
really the nova aint heavy enough or long enough or got enuf power.
style.soz m8 but i just wouldnt bother with it,coz your going be doing so much work,re-piping the car(think u need 2 n e howz),the setting it up.
i really wouldnt bother,
if ya want something different than ya m8s,
i remeber this mk1 Sr with rear disk trying to out brake me,and he failed.
my personnal expience is they are either locking,or just do fuck all.
just paint disk and caps on ya drums heheheheheheheh

rapid-nova
10-08-02, 10:59 PM
i no all you wouldnt bother but its not your car i WANT discs and im just asking if any of you have some info and pics??? :? iv seen the guide on this site its very detailed but pics would help alot cheers for the feed back :D

Ben (lurk75)
10-08-02, 11:45 PM
for pics just get a haynes manual for a car with rear discs eg: MK3 Astra and repaet all the processes that they have got just on your nova.

Someone i know is selling a complete rear beam with the discs on it (cause hes changing back to drums) i will see how much he wants for it.

rapid-nova
11-08-02, 12:01 AM
its pics of the holes that u need to drill and so on not just a rear disc set up if anyone has a back issue of total vaxhall or revs with the guide in it could they plz send it to me cheers p.s i once got a guide or the net with pics but i lost it :roll: if anyone knows where i can get it it would be much obliged :D

carltoncrazy
11-08-02, 12:01 AM
tho me an dan16v aint had a very gd start,he does seem to know alot about novas,
so do listen to guys like him,coz they understand em,(like me with my old range rover <------------farmer hehehehehehe)
nah seriously way up what its worth,and if your doing the work then be sure that you are able to do the brakes etc,
coz they can be a real pig
*******if ya a boff wiv cars jus ignore the rest*********
i dont know you,so i dont know how much you know about cars,i work wiv them day in day out,and sometimes i need help with brakes,getting them set right.
remember brakes are the most IMPORTANT thing on the car.they will decided wether you live or die.last thing you want is to stamp on it and feel nothing,or it to ver accross the road.
if ya aint done brakes b4,get this done by a pro.
as i sed b4,brakes cannot b bodged ok

rapid-nova
11-08-02, 12:20 AM
yeah m8 i no alot of the peeps on here know alot about cars and like u i work on cars all day long im not just one of these tyre fitters im a highly qualified motor vehicle technician and got all the paper work to prove it but the thing being i dont work for vaux i work for citroen uk i have owned 2 novas both being individual one after another i am in the process of reshelling my current one due to one wet night one friend stopping suddenlly BANG car fcuked so during the next year im doing all the mechanical work i.e big disc brakes all round , turbo,ed engine , very low suspension , custom exhaust , so u see im just after some info on how to do some stuff cheers :)

carltoncrazy
11-08-02, 11:19 AM
ok,well i didnt know what you did,
coz i remeber this guy bring this banger in and he tried to fix his brakes,then buggerd them and filled em with washing up liquid,OUCH.
if ya no wot ya doing then its fine,but sure youve seen bodges then,
giving it hyrdros from a bx aswel hehehehehehehehehehehe

dan16v
11-08-02, 04:58 PM
ok m8 if u wanna do it ive got some 16v rear calipers disks and all baking plates etc in my garage so mail me if u want them?
the adjustable brake bias u can get from demon tweeks 50quid i think? :)

rapid-nova
11-08-02, 05:10 PM
cheers m8 iv already got a full rear axle of a cavy sri and one of a nova gte just need info on were and how to drill the holes i dont want to fuck up the axles took me ages to get both

Rich Dale
11-08-02, 07:02 PM
I've got rear disks on my Cav......not sure if they really make braking any better than the original drums would have, but they look A LOT nicer through the alloys.......I say do it, even if it is just for looks ;)

Peeps spend month mucking about fitting body-kits that do nothing for performance (usually slow the car down in fact!) but look good, so why not do the disks?

?Marty?
12-08-02, 04:16 AM
I am. On Tuesday.

carltoncrazy
16-08-02, 01:52 AM
jus had to tell every one about this,coz it was proper funny,
driving a customer motor back,and this gte went past,nice alloys,so i saw it had rear disk.so i gave it a bit of throttle and cruis next to him at 80.and the disk on the back were biggger than the front.why i thought was quite funny,as i cant see it makeing any diffence.unless hed done the back and waitin to do the front.
so if you were drivng a f reg white gte with 17 onit down the M! and had a guy checking ya alloys out ina blue 95 dont worry jus me being a nosy parker.

?Marty?
16-08-02, 02:08 AM
Astra 16v disced rear beam's finally on the car as of today. As soon as i got in and drove off - huuuuuuge scaring/popping noise coming from rear! :o :lol:

The wheels are now sat further into the arches, so since i'm running on 17's (7" wide) and it's lowered -60mm the inside of the wheels catch on the inside arch and on the damper.

So, possible solution:

1- Get wheel spacers? :? (wear the bearings out quicker and negatively affect the handling)
2 - Get new wheels, in a different offset, so they don't catch? :lol: (not cheap, though i was considering going up to 18's. Although (in my case) 17's are best compromise between looks and performance. Still i already have 9 points so i should be driving more slowly. And 18's may 'encourage' me to do so more often? Plus i don't have enough to get new wheels now, well i have but it's for something else i need/want first, and i won't get nothing on credit.)

rapid-nova
16-08-02, 07:46 PM
did u just fit the 16v rear beam or did u do the conversion? :wink:

?Marty?
17-08-02, 02:38 AM
I just fitted the 16v rear beam, with modified handbrake cable, poly bushes and new discs/pads. And new bearings. Just to make sure. :|

Only did it for the looks too. And now i can look forward to the rear end locking up as i can't be bothered with a bias valve. Though i'll get 300mm discs and so on later on. Maybe. :D

?Marty?
17-08-02, 02:46 AM
Why bother with 'the conversion' ? :?

dan16v
19-08-02, 07:04 PM
hmmmm wat did i say! but if your getting 300mm upgrade it will be far superior to the rear so it will even it out again. why didnt you just mig the 16v square bracket onto the nova rear beam?? :roll:

Ben (lurk75)
19-08-02, 07:08 PM
dan what car you getting???

dan16v
19-08-02, 10:50 PM
go to 2l 16v pic section on here then go to howell jones white one it will be myne friday left a deposit saturday at png its got clear clusters black multi spokes n its abit lower then the pics on here!
bit silly as i have a fully rebuilt 16v in my garage with piper cams etc and a mint kplate sxi for the conversion but i loved this car for ages so wen he mailed me it was for sale i had to hav it! i will put my cams in it ill be at trax how bout u? :?

Ben (lurk75)
19-08-02, 10:58 PM
well the guy has gave me a choice of either working on my car solid for 2 days and get it running or do an hour a day for a few weeks, and as i am going to prauge this weekend and on holiday for 3 months in october i had to go for the cheaper option. but hopefully it should be running by trax. (wether my cage and all the other shite is done by then is another thing!)

kind off lost my enthusiasm for it all now just want to go away and sort it all in january.

dan16v
19-08-02, 11:09 PM
your the same as me m8 i got cheesed off big time i thought bollox new car time got car with tv and system but my m8 mikesri is having it cos im not realy into that sort of thing! 8)

Ben (lurk75)
19-08-02, 11:23 PM
yeah im a bit like that myself, i spent years learning how to fit huge systems into cars with playstations and tvs and videos etc, now i aint even got a headunit! lol still do it for some extra cash though. i am building this car to virtually rally spec. then will get another GSi and refit all the system and put the leathers in that one and have that for the cruising and this one for racing (well thats the plan) :roll:

brian
19-08-02, 11:33 PM
i am building this car to virtually rally spec.
what ya puttin in Lurk?

Ben (lurk75)
20-08-02, 06:25 PM
there is a 1600 16v engine gone in, am buying Colin Smiths Roll cage out of the turbo, fitted gp A rear hubs, stuck some buckets in it, and all the usual stuff. Was going to do the wide arch kit like yourself but decided to not bother after i could only find MK1 front wings at the time. Am sourcing some silly things too like a quickrack and am getting some pilbeam struts.

As i said a replica for the time being as havent got time or money for the full lot at the mo :cry:

Brian... What are you running on with your wide track ?