PDA

View Full Version : Removing bumpers.

Jcb
11-03-08, 10:21 AM
I guess this is sort of a technical thread, but since i'm going to paint them it becomes styling!

Anyway, any quick guides for removing the bumpers? Could not see any in "how-to".

One more thing, is it illegal to drive with the plastic removed? I'll be needing to use the Nova practically everyday which really limits how long they can be off the car for prepping/painting etc. if they are a legal requirement.

CoupeUK
11-03-08, 11:10 AM
Well AFAIK, the rear is 2x13mm nuts inside the boot, just slides off the runners on the sides then.

Im using mine with no rear bumper and the numberplate stuck to the rear screen ATM, also no numberplate ilumination due to the light in the bumper.

craig green
11-03-08, 11:33 AM
If its a mk2, the sides of the rear bumper are screwed through the arch (not clipped)

The fr is removed by undoing the 2 bolts for the carrier bar which insert into the fr chassis legs, bolts are under fr wheel arch. The sides are screwed through the wings much like the rear bumper. There may be a line of screws holding the bottom edge of the bumper to the bottom of the cross member, which are usually badly seized.

CoolTiger
11-03-08, 11:36 AM
ill do a mini guild in a bit when im feeling better :)

and i think its illegal to drive without front bumber but not back?

Jack
11-03-08, 01:01 PM
Its an MOT failure to not have a rear registration plate light.

Jcb
11-03-08, 01:29 PM
hmm, bit of a problem then. Guess I need to find other ways of getting around
if i'm to paint the bumpers.

craig green
11-03-08, 01:48 PM
Its an MOT failure to not have a rear registration plate light.

No reason why you cant tape it to the rear panel for a day or 3. :roll:

Jack
11-03-08, 02:29 PM
Thats not exacly secure though. Should be fine though as long as you don't have any MOTs coming up lol Plus I doubt the fuzz would pull you over for it. Unless they wanted an excuse to pick over your car/driving...

8v screamer
11-03-08, 05:19 PM
you can legally drive any car without bumpers as long as theres no sharp corners or bits poking out and nothing sticks out more than 6 inches.
The only thing you might get a tug for is the rear number plate light , dont be suprised if you get tugged anyway as the fuzz will just use the part stripped car look as an excuse , so as long as you are all legal in other ways dont worry about it.

Lloyd

Jcb
11-03-08, 06:44 PM
useful info, thanks.

NovaLad
11-03-08, 07:12 PM
If its a mk2, the sides of the rear bumper are screwed through the arch (not clipped)

I couldn't find these on mine at all.

Oh and don't forget to remove ya number plate light from your bumper before anything.

Jcb
11-03-08, 07:15 PM
How do I do that?

And next question will be "What prepping and what paint?" by the way. I'll be keeping it simple and spraying them black.

P.s I'm not entirely useless I promise! Just worried about getting things wrong, would rather learn it on paper and get it right first time than break stuff!

NovaLad
11-03-08, 07:17 PM
To remove the light just put a screwdrive down the gap on the side of it and pop it out. Well mine just popped out had no trouble with it, then just unclip the 2 wires.