PDA

View Full Version : 2 Queries!

Leeboo
10-03-08, 10:56 PM
Car is a 1.0 carb Nova Trip

1) There is a tiny bit of movement in the front drivers side wheels when its jacked up. What's wrong? wheel bearing?

2) The car is beginning to get really bad when it comes to starting. It was worst this evening....I started the car from cold in my garage, took it out for a spin, (so it was warmed up), got back, turned it off, and when I tried to start it again it kept churning over but wouldn't start. You have to use the throttle and play about, more than I reckon is normal for this car. Any ideas? Leads? Plugs are new!

Thanks in advance!

meritlover
11-03-08, 12:27 PM
1. possibly. or may be a ball joint,track rod end or worn rack.

2. sounds like it needs a good bake to get it cleared out. they dont need much choke when theyre running and can suffer from fouled plugs if its left on too long. the ignition timing may need checking. either that or its just a tired engine. try not to pump the throttle too many times or it will flood.

Leeboo
11-03-08, 04:24 PM
Ok thanks meritlover! A good bake? You mean a good hard drive? The engine shouldn't be tired, as there is only 55k miles on the car. It runs excellent once started.

Also, how do I identify what is to blame for the small bit of movement in the front wheel? Will it pass MOT?

Any more suggestions welcome!

Riggy
11-03-08, 05:35 PM
engine probs will be the points lol

a new set only cost about ?5 if that , and are easy to fit

movement in wheel could be bearing - is there any noise when driving

also check that all suspension bolts are tight anbd check for worn ball joints :thumb:

Leeboo
11-03-08, 05:44 PM
Points..there are the little metal points inside the dizzy? Sorry am a bit of a noob!

I haven't noticed noise when driving but I will check again, paying more attention. How would you check the balljoints mate? See if theres any movement in them themselves? It could be the bottom or top balljoint?

Thanks, very helpful advice:thumb:

meritlover
11-03-08, 05:54 PM
the bottom one is reffered to as the balljoint and the 'top' one is called the track rod end.

you will not pass an MOT with excessive play in the wheels. it is not an expensive repair. wheel bearing- ?20 or less, track rod end/ball joint ?5 max.

probably worth changing the points and condenser as together its not a lot of money. adjust the dwell and check the timing.
if you are a noob. buy a haynes manual and read it on the pan or in bed.

Leeboo
11-03-08, 05:56 PM
Ok thanks, but how do I identify which one is at fault?

lol Yes I have a Haynes manual, I will use it when I know whats wrong:thumb:

lee coley
11-03-08, 06:00 PM
[quote=Leeboo]Ok thanks, but how do I identify which one is at fault?

the one that moves with the car jacked up,easy

Leeboo
11-03-08, 06:01 PM
Thanks