PDA

View Full Version : Can i tune it or Should i change it ?

g81gaz
10-03-08, 11:54 AM
Hi i have an SR 1.3 ) im now @ the stage were i want to go a bit quicker BUT i dont know the best thing to do should i change engine or try & tune it up to go faster if thats the best option what can i actually do to tune it up ? or try & find a 1.6 & if so which 1.6 engine is best for me ? hope this is not too vague im aware i,ll have to change brakes @ front maybe put a strut brace on & stuff just dont know what the best option is to speed it up CheerZ , GaZ. :thumb: .

Iain
10-03-08, 12:05 PM
A 1.6 8v out of a Nova GSi/GTE (E16SE/C16SE) will be an easy swap. It's quite a cheap conversion and gives about 100bhp in standard form.

Nobby
10-03-08, 12:07 PM
depends what your budget is mate, if you want to keep the 1.3 go for twin 40s carbs, 421 manifold and exhaust system, or go for the 1.6 but you will need loom ecu shafts brakes petrol tank engine injection fuel pump etc or if you want to go real quick xe it ;)

g81gaz
10-03-08, 12:24 PM
Yeah fasts good BUT its expensive aswell i take it when U say XE it , U mean put in a redtop ? not want to be spoonfed or that BUT whats the most cost effective twin 40,s or redtop i kind of like the idea of keeping the engine in place BUT im willing to listen to sound advice from U peeps i,d need throttle linkage kits included & all other stuff wouldn,t i manifold change if i were to go for the twin 40,s anything else lol just finding my feet here guy,s CheerZ , GaZ.

Mike
10-03-08, 01:34 PM
you will need loom ecu shafts brakes petrol tank engine injection fuel pump etc or if you want to go real quick xe it ;)

Use your standard SR shafts :thumb: petrol tank is an easy fix, you can get brand new Cav 8v EFi fuel pumps off eBay for as little as ?20 delivered.

Stuart
10-03-08, 02:58 PM
Yeah fasts good BUT its expensive aswell i take it when U say XE it , U mean put in a redtop ? not want to be spoonfed or that BUT whats the most cost effective twin 40,s or redtop i kind of like the idea of keeping the engine in place BUT im willing to listen to sound advice from U peeps i,d need throttle linkage kits included & all other stuff wouldn,t i manifold change if i were to go for the twin 40,s anything else lol just finding my feet here guy,s CheerZ , GaZ.

:english:

g81gaz
10-03-08, 03:25 PM
:eek: Just on to try & get some help stuart some info should not really be a hassle or is it , im new to the whole set up so gimme a break go & flame other peeps who are just like me looking for a wee help after all thats what the forum is for is it not ? dont be a saddo , sheesh , its tuf enuf trying to figure out the correct path to take without ball busting , well i really came back on to ask which twin 40 Carbs would be the best for my 1.3 SR & where is it possible to source these gem,s ive tryed fleabay like U do , any help or useful input welcome CheerZ , GaZ. Tranquilo Por Fa Vor .:thumb:

Adam
10-03-08, 04:20 PM
Hes not on about you asking for help.
He was referring to your txt typing and lack of punctuation that makes it difficult to read :)

Stuart
10-03-08, 04:33 PM
two main "types" of T40
Weber DCOE and Dellorto Dsomething or other

Webers are better supported at RR's for a good setup, so its wise to not be tempted by dellortos as its hard enough finding a decent carb tuner let alone a specialty one.

You have two choices with the 40's, buy some that came off a similar spec engine and they should run "ok" till you get it setup, OR buy any that are in good nick and any spec then talk to the RR and see about a deal on giving them the jets/chokes that arent right in return for ones that are correct (this may mean trailoring the car to the rollers first)

If you buy a set of carbs, fit them, and then say they are dog turd without getting them setup/checked over you are a fool. Many people do this and it precipitates the old wives tales surrounding T40's.

g81gaz
10-03-08, 04:45 PM
:eek: Car forum or reading & writing evaluation suite ? its reasonable to assume that i have an issue with grammar & such likes could be dyslexic or :tard: wotever maybe i know thats my business eh ! thanx for the wringing out in public very helpful , are you telling me that the post is completely unfathomable ? i think not , i just came on for advice not for grammar & or punctuation evaluation crikey , LIKE the 1st POST states what should i do go for a redtop or keep original & install twin 40,s if the twin 40 option is best how do i get these beaut,s to run on my engine , no offence hope you can all comprehend the potentially poor grammar or wotever GaZ.:thumb: . EDIT just saw the POST from other fella peace

Jack
10-03-08, 06:01 PM
[mod hat ON]

Just take a little more time over your post, if you have a problem with spelling then try downloading Firefox (it has a built in spellchecker) or typing your post into Word or suchlike first. Having decent grammar and spelling means you'll get more help as a) people will be able to understand your post (believe it or not, for us oldies it takes much more effort to read poor grammar than normal English) and b) will be more willing to offer assistance as they won't have formed a poor mental image of you - remember, Novas used to have a bad reputation and we've worked hard over the past few years to shed ourselves of that.

:thumb:

[mod hat off]

1.6 injection engine would probably be the cheapest and easiest option - yes you have to change the fuel tank and etc, but its a reliable 100bhp. A 1.3 on T40s could be tuned to make over 100bhp, but the price of a just one decent rolling road session could probably buy your entire 1.6 conversion lol

Philsutton
10-03-08, 06:24 PM
What jack said, if you type like a spaz you'll get a spaz answer, if you type correctly more people will be willing to read an maybe help you out.

garyc
10-03-08, 06:42 PM
if your fitting 40's to a std 1300 the Nova sport jets are posted on the net somewhere. woul be good point to start if you took it to a rr.

g81gaz
10-03-08, 07:31 PM
Hi again lads yeah fer-dinkum even with the spaz talk lol i can take it right on the chin thanks for advice jack & co. i am @ college & they have a dyno there so that would save me money i reckon i,d like to go for the twin 40,s keeps the wee motor intact to a certain degree , now then i s,pose all i have to do is source a set of carbs easier said than done i think CheerZ GaZ.:thumb: .