PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1000cc Tuning?

Leeboo
09-03-08, 02:20 PM
Yes, 1.0. I have used the search and found nothing so I have started a thread.

Before I start, I know that a bigger engine is the most sensible option, but this isn't possible yet, so please don't suggest the idea. Also, I know that the 1.0 will always be slow, but anyway.

I have a basic knowledge of what can be done to 1.2/1.4 etc, but the 1.0 is ohv cam in block type and so parts from bigger engines won't fit. I should have a K&N Carb filter coming in the next few days, and I will route an air feed. I also have a straight through exhaust but I took it off as I dind't think it was doing the car any good (and it was really loud).

Is the exhaust and filter the limit of what can be done? Thanks

dannyb
09-03-08, 02:34 PM
It's arely worth spending anything on a 1.0 to get more power, hence why it is not a common feature of the forum! Have you uprated the suspension and brakes yet? This will be money which is better spent mate as you can either take the better parts off and put them on a higher spec Nova or it will pave the way for a future transplant if your situation changes and you can afford an engine swap :)

NovaLad
09-03-08, 02:34 PM
Is it your 1st car?

Is it for road use or track use?

what's the budget?

Leeboo
09-03-08, 02:44 PM
dannyb - yes I had Gmax 60mm springs on standard shocks but they were terrible. 40mm will be the next step as it is like a boat as standard. I will take my bro's 40mm springs and shocks and put the Nova items in his Corsa lol I won't bother with the brakes mate as it just isn't worth it unless a bigger engine was going in, they are in good order anyway. Thanks.

NovaLad - yes, 1st car, road use, small budget! Cheers

As mentioned, I do know that the 1.0 ohv is slow but I thought I might aswell ask you guys if anything simple can be done!

NovaLad
09-03-08, 02:47 PM
With it being your 1st car i wouldn't bother modifying anythign to do with the engine etc... to make it go quicker unless it was for track use and you was wodded.

Like said, better brakes, some 15inch rims to fit the bigger brakes under and lowerd if where you wanna be starting.

Leeboo
09-03-08, 02:55 PM
Yea thought so NovaLad, looks like its just going to be the filter and exhaust! The brakes can wait, as there is plenty of wear on the standard ones.

Heres the progress thread incase yous are interested! :

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91659

Adam
09-03-08, 03:09 PM
There are no tuning parts availabe for the 1L.
Apart from the usual filters/exhaust

CoupeUK
09-03-08, 03:11 PM
I'd advise a set of 256's, 15's with decent tyres and some decent adjustaable suspension.....

Although you wont be quicker in a straight line, you'll be able to brake later and hold more speed through corners!

Leeboo
09-03-08, 03:24 PM
Adam - cheers, thats all I wanted to know!

CoupeUK - thanks, but the brakes will not be changed just yet, as the old ones have plenty of life left. I am using 14" SR wheels at the minute which need 2 new tyres (165/65 14), this should be ok for now. I am on a budget so 40mm springs will be a good compromise between handling and looks!

Cheers for all replies!

chimp007_uk
09-03-08, 04:10 PM
i had a 1litre that i built for formula1000 :) there are a few bits about as the chevette runs a similar pushrod engine...

they come with a weber 32 as standard. if on a budget, get a k&n ring filter and drill the front of the air box. or bolt on filter and exhaust system...

then cam... head flows reall poorly :(

meritlover
09-03-08, 04:29 PM
the head is a poor. cylinders 2+3 share an inlet port and it it makes it a poor. the engine is very nice and tourquey but the small carb/breathings limits top power. simple port/valve seat smoothing will improve small pieces.
be scared of bolt on filters as because the venturi in the carb is so small, at high revs it makes a high DP and causes carb icing.

Leeboo
09-03-08, 05:11 PM
i had a 1litre that i built for formula1000 :) there are a few bits about as the chevette runs a similar pushrod engine...

they come with a weber 32 as standard. if on a budget, get a k&n ring filter and drill the front of the air box. or bolt on filter and exhaust system...

then cam... head flows reall poorly :(

Cheers mate. Yeah the Chevette has a 1250cc pushrod doesn't it? What parts could I use???

I have a straight through exhaust except for the middle silencer which is very small....also K&N bolt on air filter is coming and I will add an air feed!

I don't know if I fancy fiddling with the cam, it is in the blocklol valves in head.

Leeboo
09-03-08, 05:12 PM
the head is a poor. cylinders 2+3 share an inlet port and it it makes it a poor. the engine is very nice and tourquey but the small carb/breathings limits top power. simple port/valve seat smoothing will improve small pieces.
be scared of bolt on filters as because the venturi in the carb is so small, at high revs it makes a high DP and causes carb icing.

Ok thanks meritlover. Can you explain the 2nd bit there? Venturi? DP?

chimp007_uk
09-03-08, 06:17 PM
i'd port the head out, to increase flow, don't go over the top! or of course get it done properly. its so annoying now i dont have a flow bench to hand :(
3 angled valve seats is the best way to improve flow!

Yeah the Chevette has a 1250cc pushrod doesn't it?

1256cc actually lol my mate would kill you for saying that...

I had a bolt on filter and larger jets and lived in tthe cold depths of swansea and never experienced any carb icing...

i believe the inlets are the same from the 1256 to the 998 and i because the chevette is widely used for rallying, you can pick up and single 40 manifold cheaply and easily. road rally regs state you can onyl run 2chokes so this is ideal. my mate picked a manifold and weber 40 for ?60 lol

changing the cam isn't too bad. you need to removed the followers and pushrods, then the timing chain cover. then tensioner and you can remove the camshaft.

you've also got electronic ignition options as well! the engine is good for what it is. just needs the intake ports sorting really!

Leeboo
09-03-08, 06:29 PM
Well head modification isn't really an option for me as I haven't got much money to throw at it, but the 1256 inlet manifold and 40 sounds good! So there's no carb that bolts stright to the 1.0s inlet manifold? Suppose its crap anyway lol

The straight through exhaust didn't seem to make any difference, maybe it robs the car of back pressure?

chimp007_uk
09-03-08, 06:46 PM
having the car properly tuned once you've done everything would be the best way to notice anything...

you will prob loose some back pressure, to increase the power. thats what you don't want anything massive, just somethign to increase the flow.

Mike
09-03-08, 06:47 PM
Id put all your time and money into getting the chassis and panels all minted, then come bigger CC time, you can slot the likes of an SR or GSi into what could then be a mint shell.

FUSION X16XE
09-03-08, 06:51 PM
i may be talking outa my **** but cant you get a turbo of a metro/mini and bodge that on? now that would be cool with 100 shot of nos haha

Leeboo
09-03-08, 06:59 PM
chimp007_uk - Yea, I might just stick with the exhaust and K&N for now.

Mike - Cheers for the input... yea well the shell has had some welding done and now hasn't got one rust hole anywhere. The panels aren't mint but that doesn't bother me at the minute. See my progress thread... Yes a bigger engine is obviously the best route, but not an option just yet.

eastbourne racer - that's your game lol

mowgli
09-03-08, 08:26 PM
people stopped tuning pushrod gm engines a long time ago,

aren't your mot tests over there really strict? and government run? I know they used to be, just spend the coin on everything but the engine.
I stuck a 1.6i in where a 1.0 was & there was no need for any drilling, hammering or anything, even the efi pump mounting holes are there next to the tank. when the time comes, slapping in a new engine is a quick & easy job.

draper
09-03-08, 08:31 PM
ohv engine, my advice is make sure its running perfectly, full service etc

to go quicker dont think more power, think less kerbweight, better handling

Leeboo
09-03-08, 08:40 PM
mowgli - Yeah I suppose they are quite strict, but as long as everything is road worthy and legal your fine! Yeah a 1.6 is something to think about for the future.

draper - thanks, I have changed the oil + filter, plugs and put in new coolant when I put the radiator etc back in so all is good, except its always quite hard to start, more than it used to be. But I'm putting that down to lack of use?

chimp007_uk
09-03-08, 08:47 PM
one other thing! as the dizzy is mounted at the front of the engine, to stop it getting damp and wet (as it will missfire!) cover it up! either get the cover for it of use a washing up glove and cut the finger tips off!
mine was always prone to it! i used a bin bag for a scat rally once lol

Leeboo
09-03-08, 08:51 PM
You mean when its out on the road? Will do thanks!!