PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 engine running problems

ianglanister
08-03-08, 07:23 PM
ive got a 1.2 j reg carb with 67k on it genuine!!
when i bought the car i went through a puddle which was abit deeper than i first thought and it soaked the engine as the cars been lowered 60mm so changed the plugs and that sorted that problem.

now ive got another problem its doing the same think driving lumpy as if its not running on all cylinders then when the revs get up it kicks back in with all the power a 1.2 has to give its just at low revs its lumpy and tries to cut out on tick over. so when on tick over and driving it smokes alots, been using alot of petrol and water. today ive changed the ht leads and done an oil change and took the dizzy cap off cleaned all the connector bits inside of it and nothings changed.

Im really stuck i have no idea what to try now, ive just got my own valeting garage so can try everything there under shelter, the machanic next door was suposed to do a pressure test on it for me today but didnt, now he isnt in again until monday so will get him to do it on monday but with the rain etc its not very busy as my car wash and valeting garage so i want to check things over while im there. if anyone could give me any ideas what it could be and what to check would be great, thanks very much for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me. Ian

lynhok
08-03-08, 07:33 PM
i had the same problem with my 1.2 carb, the way mine was fixed was just clean the carb very well this helped a lot but still want perfect, ended up that the head gasket was gone was loosing pressure from the cylinder into the cooling system well thats what my garage told me.
Fitted the gasket and it was fine sorted the problem

ianglanister
08-03-08, 07:41 PM
what is the best way to clean the carb? what with and how do you get it off properly etc as im not good with things like this. also does anyone have a walk through guide on how to fit a new gasket and how easy is it? how long would it take? thanks again Ian

lynhok
08-03-08, 07:51 PM
changing the head gasket isnt that easy you have to take the inlet manifold and exhaust manifold, but the real pain is you have to take the timing belt off.
if you have a haynes manual it will be in there, but its a real pain. as for the carb just get some choke and carb cleaner use some good stuff as the cheaper stuff never worked that well for me and just spray it down the jet on the carb and clean away any dirt etc fron the inside of the carb, if you do remove the carb then you will have to buy some gasket paste to reassemble as an air leek will cause it to run badly aswell

ianglanister
08-03-08, 07:55 PM
do you have to remove the carb to clean it?

Asa-James
08-03-08, 08:09 PM
for the head gasket, get a haynes manual. its definitely not difficult, just fiddley, but you could probably have it off in a couple of hours. and while your in there, new belt, clean the head up, it'll look lovely. but i'd advise getting the head skimmed before you refit it at a good engineers place (theres a place in stockport that does it for about ?25but i cant think what they are called)