PDA

View Full Version : 8V TURBO

stugsi
08-08-02, 06:42 PM
i heard that u can get turbo from a 1.7 diesel to fit the 8v nova engine with sum work if anyone knows more let me know

CP
08-08-02, 09:57 PM
Sorry not heard of this BUT:
are you talking about an 8v engine that is already turbo'd? If so are you talking about the 1.6 Turbo Nova engine? The problem with this engine is that if you run anything other than fairly minimal boost it blows the head gasket arrangement which quite frankly is a bit of a bodge as std. So putting a larger output turbo on probably wouldn't help much?
OR
are you talking about a std petrol 8v Nova engine say a 1.4 or 1.6? In which case browse sites elsewhere about turbo theory. The main work would be installing low compression pistons unless you went the way as above. You would have to be pretty knowledgeable to get it right using mix and matched std parts? You can blow through carbs but I should think it would be easier to get an injection 1.4 or 1.6 and mod up all the pipework to go through that. It could become tricky and costly for not a lot of extra power?

Ben (lurk75)
08-08-02, 11:13 PM
If so are you talking about the 1.6 Turbo Nova engine?

is this an aftermarket engine? or was it a limited engine such as the Sport or Sprint models?[/quote]

?Marty?
08-08-02, 11:59 PM
Turbo Diesel :lol:

CP
09-08-02, 11:49 AM
I don't know the history but 1.6 Petrol Turbo Novas were made I think by Vaux? There are a few about.

As far as I know to get round the need to lower the CR they produced a metal packing plate that was sandwiched between the block and the head to make the compression chambers larger. This meant that 2 head gaskets were needed. Bit of a cheap and cheerful bodge idea really

MC
09-08-02, 12:05 PM
I think there is some confusion. Didn't think Vaux made a 1.6 turbo, they are after market modifications, and yes the double gasket thing isn't ideal.

CP,

Didn't you say that running the 1.4 head on a 1.6 bottom end raised the compression alot when you did it? If so would doing the opposite drop the compression enough to run a turbo?

MC

stugsi
09-08-02, 02:07 PM
A friend of a friend has a corsa with a nova gte engine (turbo'd) he used the turbo off a 1.7 turbo diesel van and instead of taking the pistons down a few thou he used double head gasket

Ben (lurk75)
09-08-02, 06:37 PM
i always thought that a performance petrol turbo was a comp[letely different set up to a turbo diesel?

Plus what sort of BHP would you be looking at for this engine i dont think you would touch the 2l 16v with it and sounds like a lot more hassle, or better still just stick in a 50-75 shot of NOS.

CP
10-08-02, 12:02 AM
I'd forgotten about that day Lol!

Son: " Dad I can't get this 1.6 with a 1.4 Blydenststein head and twin 40's that I've just bolted in to work"
Dad: "Err OK lets have a look then"

Several hours pass. No go

Dad: " So what have you done to it again?"

Several more hours pass and finally it starts but its as rough as fook and it won't stop even if in desperation the HT lead is ripped off!

Dad: "Err.. hang on a minute lets think about this......."

Several minutes pass. Must be major detonation.
A phone call is made to check and we discover that we are now running a compression ratio of nearly 13:1 LOL! The 1.4 head has bugger all compression chamber space and the 1.6 cylinders have virtually no unswept volume.

So yes in theory a 1.6 head on a 1.4 block should lower the compression ratio, at a guess down to between 8 and 9:1? I hadn't thought of that. Not sure whats optimum for turbo's but should be do-able? Interesting idea and could be cheap if you are mainly getting parts from the scrappy plus shouldn't result in major engine failure.

As regards what turbo from where, I maybe talking bollocks(again) but i can't see really why a turbo from a diesel can't be swapped to a petrol and vice versa? At the end of the day the they are just an exhaust driven compressor. If the diesel turbo runs too much boost it can always be sorted to wastegate excess boost. It isn't gonna blow your socks off but could be a good value for money mod.

When I get chance I know a bloke who will probably be able to say for sure whether this would work OKand I'll post back.

rapid-nova
10-08-02, 03:17 AM
iv also heard of something like that but of keeping the 1.7 bottom end and using a 1.6 or 1.4 head??!! :lol: as the 1.7 bottom ends build for a turbo i.e low compresion, the thing i keep thinking of is that the 1.7 is a low blow engine does that mean not alot of boost or wot??? :!: