PDA

View Full Version : !!!!!!help brakes!!!!!

robertdevlin69
07-03-08, 09:10 PM
lads havin a few probs wit the brakes on the up and coming combo xe project the brake pedal is feeling very spongey when driving they still work but not as well as in say me mas car........any help welcome cheers

just vaux trev
07-03-08, 09:11 PM
have the calipers been uprated if so what to/from/

blackpoolbouncer
07-03-08, 09:13 PM
if your brake pedal feels spongy and youve done an xe conversion i assume youve changed the brakes or even if not it sound to me like they need bleeding becuase youve got air in the lines.or not to patronise you,but have you checked the brake fluid level?

robertdevlin69
07-03-08, 09:24 PM
nah haven done the conversion yet......brake fluid is spot on new pads gone in no more than 3 weeks ago,could it be a master cylinder problem?

meritlover
08-03-08, 12:37 PM
when was the last time that the rear brakes were adjusted?
worn rear brakes makes for long pedal travel.

robertdevlin69
08-03-08, 03:51 PM
jesus id say if even before i bought it,i changed the front pads there a while back but never adjusted or replaced the rear drum pads

craig green
08-03-08, 04:29 PM
When putting new pads in did you remove the reservoir cap?

Its likely when pushing the piston back in for the new pads the fluid took in some air within the reservoir... maybe.

Best bet unless you have a pressure bleeding kit is to leave the car overnight with the pedal depressed (brick on it) & the cap off. This will allow any air to rise into the reservoir.

Also have the rear shoes adjusted, via the inspection hole in the drum back plate.

robertdevlin69
08-03-08, 04:36 PM
is the adjustr on like a rachet setup if ya get me drift?

chimp007_uk
08-03-08, 04:40 PM
its a cog on a threaded adjuster. i usually use a screwdriver and turn it to adjust the shoes :) notperfect but it works, be careful if its siezed!

craig green
08-03-08, 04:41 PM
Pretty historic method of adjustment which is meant to happen automatically.

chimp007_uk
08-03-08, 04:46 PM
I've never had it properly adjust automatically! its always siezed or rusty so the adjuster doesnt quite work with the cog...

Always had to strip them and cleam them first!

meritlover
08-03-08, 04:46 PM
it is like a ratchet Mr Devlin. you can chase the sawrated nut to drive the shoes out. usually they seize, but sometimes they dont. it is nice practice to remove the left hand threaded adjuster, clean it and copper grease it.
how many clicjs does your hand brake come up? although i have seen novas where the handbrake has been adjusted via the handbrake cable!!!! yes you read it correctly it is terrible.

also if you have a grinder, remove the lip that is formed on the outside of the drum as this will make it impossible to get the shoes adjusted to the closest possible point. i feel you should start here as it is worth doing regularly if you have never had it done since you got it. at least to inspect the condition of the shoes.
i hope you find the cause and make peace with your nova.

robertdevlin69
09-03-08, 10:10 AM
ah i stripped aprt the drums yeah evrything is in pretty good nick to my surprize......the handbrake comes up 4 clicks but it will bearley hold on say a steep hill maybe....would the adjusment to the rear pads make a diff to pedal travel?cheers lads,.

robertdevlin69
09-03-08, 10:17 AM
aah lads just noticed ther be no inspction plate,you no why cause this isnt a nova the novas on bricks this is the more sinister combo van,which hs no inspection hole the drum has to comne off to adjust which way should i spinn the rachett up or down?I HATE DRUM BRAKES!