PDA

View Full Version : Camber

Spacemonkey
08-08-02, 08:40 AM
Hey

Ok my car took a hit a couple weeks back, and resulted in a new steering rack, i ahve not had the wheels aligned yet, but i seem to have negative camber on the drivers wheel where i got hit, what causes camber and how do i fix?

MC
08-08-02, 10:45 AM
Camber is not adjustable on a standard Nova. It sounds like the bottom ball joint bracket is bent, they are quite weak as std, and I've seen them bend with minor slides against kerbs. Pretty easy to replace, and don't cost too much.

Spacemonkey
08-08-02, 11:05 AM
Hmm just had a spy and it doesnt look bent, mind you it only sits out slighty more than normal

the op of the wheel sits in towards the car and the bottom away from the car

could the wishbone has gone also, or my suspension strutt.

When i accelrate the car swerves towards the drivers side
and when i take my foot of the accelrator the car swerves to the passenger side

MC
08-08-02, 11:36 AM
O.k. thinking about it, if it was your control arm or ball joint, it would be positive camber not neg, so that rules those out. You need to get the tracking looked at to find exactly what it is. Was it a heavy impact? The only way you could get neg camber (assuming you haven't got adjustable rose jointed bottome joint) is to move the top mount in, or bend the shock.

Spacemonkey
08-08-02, 12:02 PM
A rover 200 skidded into @ 30mph dent my wing bent the place where the light is, not the cross member but jus the plate where the light sits @ the bottom. and shredded teeth on my steering, so it was quite a big hit i think my alloys took the mos to the impact but it doesnt seem to be buckled either PHew only has them 2 days lol

Move the Strunt in?, hmm the strutt on the drivers side sits differnelty from the passenger side when looking @ in the engine bay the side loom kind of sitting the left, like its twisted round, but i dont know it might just be the rubbers not sitting in the middle.

I will get my tracking checked 1st :)

Ta for the Help Big Cheif :)

neiloakley
08-08-02, 11:46 PM
When i accelrate the car swerves towards the drivers side and when i take my foot of the accelrator the car swerves to the passenger side

I had the same problem. I had basically bent wishbone and tie bar. You can get the pair for ten pound from a scrappy. They are so weak, i keep a spare set of wishbones and tie-bars in my garage.

I promise you, if you change the wishbone and tie-bar, (5 bolts, (9 if you have an anti roll bar)) it will solve the problem. :lol:

?Marty?
09-08-02, 12:01 AM
You can get eccentric top-mounts for your struts, with these fitted you can adjust camber. ?75 or so for a pair.

neiloakley
09-08-02, 04:10 PM
no, dont use camber bolts. Fix the problem rather than just bodge it. change the wishbone and tie bar mate. It will cure the problem at a fraction of the cost. Also, if you did use camber bolts, they would not stop the car swerving cos the wishbone/tiebar would still be bent. ok?

ade
10-08-02, 12:32 AM
hang on - surely of you were hit by someone and presuming theyve claimed responsibility surely their insurance should cover all this stuff. If its been to the shoip and its still not right, contact oinsurance company and tell them or take it back to the garage and ask them to do the job properly! :?

Ade

Spacemonkey
13-08-02, 08:37 AM
Ok i think i seem to have a seriouss problem :(

Theres like oil or whatever splattered all around the drivers side wheel ( this is the wheel the camber and got hit)

I cant see where it is coming from but it all around the surrounding wheel only the drum, drive shaft is covered in it,

?????????????????????????????????

neiloakley
13-08-02, 06:21 PM
chech your cv boots. If one has split, the grease from inside will have been thrown out as the driveshaft rotates. If you dont sort it quick then your prob gunna need a new cv joint too. So thats:
1 x wishbone
1 x tie-bar
1 x outer cv boot kit
1 x outer cv joint.

New is gunna cost about ?100 but can get cheaper from scrappy. DONT buy a cv joint from the scrappy cos you just dont know what condition it is in.