PDA

View Full Version : little bit of a leakage

nova_Tom
07-03-08, 12:58 PM
Right so heres the problem guys. I was hoovering out my car yesterday (as yah do when you get some free time) and i was greeted by an unwanted suprise. I leant down onto the drivers side carpet, and my hand was treated to a free water massarge by the car. It appears that the whole of the drivers side of the cars carpet, all the way back to behind the drivers seat, is drenched. i have no idea why. i mean obviously there is some sort of hole, but is this a common thing for novas in their teens (mines 18 this year).
Any help would be really appriciated
Thanks
Tom

Matt2107
07-03-08, 01:01 PM
First place to check is your battery tray.

Can be a bit of a pain to weld due to its location.

Pop the battery out, lift out the plastic tray and look in the bottom.

nova_Tom
07-03-08, 02:12 PM
Okidoki will do once i get home from work tonight, probs post some piccys up if i can find anything. Thanks for the help mate.

meritlover
07-03-08, 02:38 PM
there a few places to check for the leakage of your waters
1. if there is an amp cable stuffed through an ill fitting grommit or even an un grommited hole.
2. where the inner wing meets the floor/sill there can be holes caused by corrosion. (usually its behind the wing) the dirt sits behind the wing and rots through to the car.
3. the rubber bungs on the floor can come loose or get lost/missing/scared.
4. sunroof (if fitted) may have blocked drain tubes or a bad seal
5. windscreen rubbers leaking.

look after your nova and treat it very nicely.

nova_Tom
07-03-08, 03:11 PM
Thanks MeritLover I will use that list tonight to see if i have any problems in that area. Oh i will be looking after her, i only purchased the car on wednesday, so still gettin her back to her best .

R1CH
07-03-08, 06:33 PM
Novas leak ... simple as that !!
Even after a complete bare shell rebuild mine still leaks slighty in heavy rain, more noticable as theres no carpets.
Yours has probly been leaking for ages and the sound proofing / carpet has soaked it all up.
Still worth checking for leaks tho.

meritlover
08-03-08, 12:40 PM
Novas leak ... simple as that !!
Even after a complete bare shell rebuild mine still leaks slighty in heavy rain, more noticable as theres no carpets.
Yours has probly been leaking for ages and the sound proofing / carpet has soaked it all up.
Still worth checking for leaks tho.

you are suggesting to me, that you are a poor builder of cars Mr R1ch. a nova was never designed to leak. when fitted with good door seals and it has no holes it will not leak.

R1CH
08-03-08, 01:28 PM
you are suggesting to me, that you are a poor builder of cars Mr R1ch. a nova was never designed to leak. when fitted with good door seals and it has no holes it will not leak.

Thats me told !!
lol

nova_Tom
10-03-08, 12:29 PM
Thats me told !!
lol

lol...well hows tat for bluntness lol

GDN16v
10-03-08, 01:29 PM
Our 2 novas we got sitting in the garage dont leak!!:confused: If youve got a leak youve got a hole/crack/split somewhere!!

Only had one nova that leaked and that was because there was a hole under the battery clamp bracket,!!

Steve
11-03-08, 12:33 AM
Also worth checking the door seals and where the inner wheel arch is, (around where the aerial is fixed)

Best way is to take out the front carpet (as it'll need drying anyway) and pouring a bucket of water over the car to spot where the leak comes from