PDA

View Full Version : cuttin holes for vents?

bob
07-08-02, 09:41 AM
right I have got hold of some smart top secret hush hush bonnet vents for my nova and just need to bring myself to cutting up my bonnet(its ok got a spare tho) just dont know how to do about it :( do I drill a hole then jigsaw or wot? wot blades n drill bits do I need if so? thanks in advance peeps!

kevw
07-08-02, 01:31 PM
When I do anything like this I just use an electrical drill and electrical jigsaw.
I think Youve got the idea, mark out with masking tape where you want to cut, just drill a hole, make sure that its inside the area where the vent will be (ie on the bit thats not needed) and make sure the jigsaw blade will fit through the hole too.
Then just cut away, I got some metal-blades for the jigsaw, you can get them everywhere, B&Q etc sell them. They dont last that long when cutting large areas tho, I used one up when cutting my wheel-well out to give you an idea!

Kev.

neiloakley
07-08-02, 02:53 PM
when i cut my bonnet to fit my vent i just marked out the area with a crayon and then used an angle grinder to cut out the whole. You will get a lot smoother finish but you might need to finish it off with a small file though. Good luck

jon_boy
07-08-02, 07:49 PM
it might be woth going round the area ur cutting out before hand and scoring a line into the paint cos i had a mate, who whilst cutting with a jigsaw, lifted all the paint around the cut and it turned into a big job.

mikesri
07-08-02, 09:58 PM
Careful cos dan16v put a gsi scoop in his bonnet and slipped with the jigsaw across the bonnet only a little scratch but it showed up !!

ade
07-08-02, 11:05 PM
re going round tight corners use a "scrolling blade" - small skinny in width and can turn corners on a gnats arse! Also make sure that when you are cutting you look out for any structural supports under the bonnet and bare in mind that you need to cut through them aswell (make sure yer blades are lonng enough) Just dont push too hard when cutting.

Ade

neiloakley
07-08-02, 11:43 PM
ANGLE GRINDER!!!!!!!!!!!

bob
08-08-02, 10:35 AM
alrite thanks peeps, just gonna tidy up my modded vents,then make some proper templates up,Ive alreay offered em up to the bonnet, and they dont interfere with the structural supports from wot I can see, but it is v close.All I need to do now is decide wot mesh to put behind em-wish me luck fellas,should have em finished soon, taking piccies too! not bothered about paint, cos the bonnets gettin sprayed up and the paints scratched anyways, but it aint dented,and for a nova bonnet thats rare!