PDA

View Full Version : horn help.

ianglanister
05-03-08, 07:10 PM
earlier today when i was at work the machanic next door tried getting my steering wheel off to change it(which it wouldnt budge even with the puller tool) anyway so built it back up and started driving and the horn beeped once, then was on constant so had to disconnect the horn from the spade connectors on the back of the horn push, everything went ok for abit then went out again and was on constant again so had to disconnect at the actual horn so its ok now any ideas what it could be or how to fix it? cheers ian:confused:

Adam*D
05-03-08, 07:13 PM
Think the live and earth wires for the horn come thru the middle of the steering wheel coloum, maybe the live has earthed out causing it to be on constant?

ianglanister
05-03-08, 07:16 PM
how would i find out for sure?

Adam*D
05-03-08, 08:33 PM
pull the middle out of your steering wheel, you'll have a small bit of wire coming from the back of the horn push going to the metal steering coloum this will be the earth. You'll have another longer bit of wire coming from the horn push and going through the steering coloum, this will be the live. I bet this wire has been jammed when you've been messing about with your wheel causing it to earth and putting the horn on constant.

mowgli
05-03-08, 10:11 PM
first off, the innards of the switch may be jammed on. pop it apart then carefully reassemble it.

Now, wrap towels round the boss, undo the nut so the threads are just still on. boil a kettle. slowly pour water on the centre boss. the ally will expand quicker than the steel column. then it will pull off

meritlover
06-03-08, 08:32 AM
that or load up the puller tight then a couple of smart cracks with a hammer on the center under tension. it will soon pop-off