PDA

View Full Version : Going to look @ a 1.3SR on Sat...what do i look for?

Mr_Moo
07-08-02, 03:50 AM
Im goin to look @ a D plate 77k 1.3SR on Saturday.

Ive seen pics and its in very good condition.

Only a small bump at the front left headlight (just above) but matey has a spare bonnet/wing (bonnet looks fine) also a grill :wink:

WHAT DO I LOOK FOR.....or even more....what do i look out for that would mean a sale of the century or a rip?

?450 or ?550 with headunit (and base) and 2x 6x9 Alpines.

Car also has a short ratio gearbox/janspeed zorst :)

Help a cow in trouble pleasing! :D

Doc
07-08-02, 11:56 AM
Dont touch it if it hasnt got a full service history. Make sure the person selling has all the old MOTs or several of them at least. These will have the milage on them, so you can check that the car hasnt been clocked.
A D-reg would put it at about 1986, that 16 years old! Check all usual areas for rust, rear arches, bottom of doors, floor pan in the boot, behind rear bumper, under bonnet around topmounts etc. Check all lights/wipers/washers/heater/blower/c-locking. How does the car smell-if it smells foisty its prob damp which means its letting water in somewhere. If hes got 20 magic trees in there, ask yourself why?
Also look at and around door locks for damage, as an indication of it been broken into/stolen. If it has those plastic protectors around the locks, be careful as these can be used to hide damage around the lock.
Feel the bonnet, if its warm its an indication that the guys had the car running b4 u got there? Ask yourself why, maybe its because a poor starter. Start the car, does it start 1st time, how does it sound? Does it tick over nicely? Rev it, how does it sound, you dont want any tapping or knocking coming from the engine. Get a mate to look whats coming out of the exhaust, if its blowing blue smoke its buring oil-walk awy.
Take it for a spin, how does it feel? How are the brakes/handbrake etc.
Theres lots of stuff to look out for, im sure other peeps will add to this. Hope it helps.
Tony. :wink:

Davo
07-08-02, 12:53 PM
all i got told when buying an oldish car was : "make sure the body panels are ok" they cost a lot more than replacing parts in teh engine. You can pick up an SR engine for bout 70 quid, ok u got to fit it etc, but at the end of the day it will be cheaper than replacin all body panels.

Like doc ses, if it dont start then you have to consider is it worth it.

i would not walk away if it hasnt got a full service history cos lets be honest the older cars dont, they get lost etc. i bought my nova 2 years ago looked at it, it was ditched to fcuk, the rear arch was fcuked, but the panels were all bob on! i bought it for 550, got it home, cleaned it, got it serviced and had the arch repaired. very clean nova. if you arent daring anough like i wasnt then keep away from the rusty doors etc. if i had the car now (which i am looking for a noca or something of this ilk) then i would play with body work, and use it as a learning process. but i am no way doing that with my 306.

Just use common sense, the beauty of the nova, is that there are loads of scrap parts available so u can get things for next to nothing.

cheers

davo

Mr_Moo
07-08-02, 06:22 PM
Thanx guys for your help!

Im goin down with my dad and he know muchos about cars etc.....

He knows what to look out for, i just wanted to know so i can be like......look @ that lets go dad :D

Ill print this out and take it with me :wink:

Keep the comments cummin plz :lol:

Mr_Moo
07-08-02, 06:24 PM
roflmfao :D 8)

d0gz_bollox
09-08-02, 04:39 PM
just give it a big shake. if it makes any funny noises spot where there coming from! if anything drops off black tape it back on then walk away.

Mr_Moo
09-08-02, 07:43 PM
HAHA.....Im not goin to look @ it now.

I showed Will [NovaNutter] the pics and more or less questioned everything about the car and said he wouldnt go and look @ it in a million years :lol: