PDA

View Full Version : carb or injection?

xxspudxx
05-03-08, 08:44 AM
I cant decide what to do with my gte engine. At the moment its running bosch injection, cammed, exhaust ,4 branch etc etc, now to get more power do i do head work etc and stick to injection or go for a set of twin 40's?

pros and cons of both to help me decide :thumb:

meritlover
05-03-08, 09:46 AM
bin the bosch and go fully programmable. then when your bored with that throttle body it.

andy_srt40
05-03-08, 10:15 AM
yep!

management all the way, i;ve3had 40's and now going back to efi on the same engine, so much more scope for improvements in the future with mappable management

meritlover
05-03-08, 10:59 AM
exactly, carbs are so yesterday. lol

xxspudxx
05-03-08, 01:17 PM
and where should i be lookin for programmable managment then?

Nick
05-03-08, 01:33 PM
It depends on your budget.

For simplicity and reletivly low-cost you can have a E16SE on 40's making pretty reasonable power.

More complicated and alot more expensive (generally) if you go down mapable. However there is more power to be had.

Stuart
05-03-08, 01:51 PM
DTA/MBE/OMEX/Megasquirt/Gotech/AEM/Emerald all sorts of ecu's really.

xxspudxx
05-03-08, 02:30 PM
DTA/MBE/OMEX/Megasquirt/Gotech/AEM/Emerald all sorts of ecu's really.

and out of them which is going to be most reliable/ease of use/best power gains/best to get hold of?

andy_srt40
05-03-08, 02:43 PM
power gains are purely down to the mapper, the best advice anyone can give RE management is to phone your rolling road and see which they are most experienced with

then pick a model of ecu which has the features and load inputs you need to use for your particular build

e.g. if you want to put a silly cam in then you will need to bin your airflow meter and use tps and/or MAP sensning for load input

the first point of call though is definitely to the person who will map it as this will save the most cash with them not having to learn a new piece of software, and will also yield better results by the mapper knowing the limitations and advantages of that particular ecu.

personally i'm going for gotech because:

a) its very compitively prices and looms can bought ready made for it

b) it can be mapped at jamsport which is not a million miles away from where i am and could safely get there on a base map (allbeit at 30mph lol )

c) it uses the correct load sensing option for the spec of my motor

Stuart
05-03-08, 03:02 PM
power gains are purely down to the mapper, the best advice anyone can give RE management is to phone your rolling road and see which they are most experienced with

then pick a model of ecu which has the features and load inputs you need to use for your particular build

e.g. if you want to put a silly cam in then you will need to bin your airflow meter and use tps and/or MAP sensning for load input

the first point of call though is definitely to the person who will map it as this will save the most cash with them not having to learn a new piece of software, and will also yield better results by the mapper knowing the limitations and advantages of that particular ecu.

personally i'm going for gotech because:

a) its very compitively prices and looms can bought ready made for it

b) it can be mapped at jamsport which is not a million miles away from where i am and could safely get there on a base map (allbeit at 30mph lol )

c) it uses the correct load sensing option for the spec of my motor

indeedy, tis the best way. Find someone you are happy to map it, then get what they lik/can supply at a good rate etc.

If its a DIY thing then imho DTA is an easy one to calibrate (oops map), I'm not a fan of MDE's easymap software as its not easy to me lol, but many like it etc.

and if you feel up for a laugh do a megasquirt build :D

Mike
05-03-08, 03:10 PM
lol megasquirt build :D full on DIY mapping for a DIY engine build lol

andy_srt40
05-03-08, 03:28 PM
megasquirt has the potential to be as effective as any of the higher priced ecu's

Mike
05-03-08, 03:32 PM
From the outset, if you know what your doing with it, it is as good as any other high market end management.

andy_srt40
05-03-08, 03:41 PM
yeah just be carefull where you have it mapped as every man and his dog 'thinks' he can map it, even though the dog is probably better at it! lol

Adam
05-03-08, 03:49 PM
From the outset, if you know what your doing with it, it is as good as any other high market end management.
Only problem being the older versions used cheap components.
And most mappers wont touch megasquirt due to its "Diy build" nature..
They dont want to be faced with an engine failure, due to a dodgy injector fire signal because of a dodgy solder joint on the board......
The newer 3.57 boards have surface mounted components, so they are getting better.

Personally, i really like the sound and look of Go-tech.
The cheapest version is the same price as MS too!

andy_srt40
05-03-08, 04:14 PM
Gotech mfi would be perfect for a gte engine too as it uses the hall sensor to guage engine position, which is the standard in the GTE engine, but MFI pro has so much more tune-ability and can use crank timed engine position instead which i why i chose it so i can run an external crank trigger too and its only 425 with a custom loom

Stuart
05-03-08, 04:30 PM
MS still uses some incorrect valued parts though (like too low/high resistors etc)

xxspudxx
05-03-08, 05:09 PM
hmmmm cheers fellas, got something to think bout now, will speak to local rally car builder to see who he suggests go speak to about it and take it from there!

Mike
05-03-08, 06:00 PM
^ He'll suggest the likes of OMEX ;) due to its reliability and just about every pro mapper knows how to use it in the Rally Scene.