PDA

View Full Version : Bangers at Buxton

Lynsey
03-03-08, 10:20 PM
Dougie and I went to Buxton at the weekend to watch some racing, it looks like right fun :D There were quite a few mk3 Cavs, although in the past when I have been they were mainly mk2s. Only 1 Nova but it wasn't in the banger class lol Here are a couple of pics which I took on my phone, it was way too cold to keep taking gloves off! Check out TV in a couple of months for the feature :thumb:

http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/400000018ce464a/1/0/sDtak2gEuT_Gvw_chqc561VxftWghyA_.jpg (http://www.slide.com/s/rmBn45bZ6z-mq7Xms3_QGf07eODMxGrt?referrer=hlnk)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/lynz_sr/DSC00172.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/lynz_sr/DSC00173.jpg

They are on every other weekend, might be a good place for a meet for the NW lot? Not sure if you anyone is familiar with the Cat and Fiddle/ Goyt Valley etc but there are some amazing roads up there and defo worth a drive on a nice day. Just be warned that the police use helicopters up there!

Here is the site if anyone fancies a look :thumb:
http://www.buxtonraceway.oppositelockforum.com/

Plug
03-03-08, 10:22 PM
ya i go bangers in the southwest at smeathorpe the stock car racing you see loads of nova's

Lynsey
03-03-08, 10:25 PM
There have been loads of Novas when I have been in the past too, was hoping there might be a few more old Vaux's but they are probably running out now!

bangerbrian
03-03-08, 10:26 PM
I race one at the moment :D

Plug
03-03-08, 10:26 PM
where to??

bangerbrian
03-03-08, 10:28 PM
used to be at aldershot but that got closed so ringwood now. :D

twistysnovagte
03-03-08, 10:28 PM
yeah used to go myself at morcambe(northwest) top days out proper road ragelol only capris, grannys, cortinas for me(because there fordslol)sorry and the odd lada or two will find some pics and try get them up.

Lee
03-03-08, 10:29 PM
In my experience of banger racing, MK3 cav's arnt the best idea. The weapon of choice is a MK2 Granada, but theyre getting stupidly thin on the ground now.

I remember vividly a Granny picking up a cav and a sierra on a straight and piling them both into the barrier. Cav was completely mashed, the sierra nearly snapped in half, and the granny's bonnet kinked up a bit lol

Ernie
03-03-08, 10:36 PM
some people on here have never hurd of a granada fella lol.

Lynsey
03-03-08, 10:40 PM
Yeah the Cavs were mashed but so was everything else lol There was a mk3 Astra which was fooked beyond recognition (except to the trained eye ;)) mk2 Cavs are supposed to be stronger but I don't think they are easy to come by anymore. Looks like millions of fun, I want a go!

twistysnovagte
03-03-08, 10:43 PM
In my experience of banger racing, MK3 cav's arnt the best idea. The weapon of choice is a MK2 Granada, but theyre getting stupidly thin on the ground now.

I remember vividly a Granny picking up a cav and a sierra on a straight and piling them both into the barrier. Cav was completely mashed, the sierra nearly snapped in half, and the granny's bonnet kinked up a bit lolyeah m8 i agree theres only the cortinas match the granadas for brute force on the banger track but as you say very rare to find nowadays

Lynsey
03-03-08, 10:47 PM
I know an old Granada which isn't doing anything... ;)

Rick Draper
03-03-08, 11:32 PM
Almost on my door step is that.

Lee
03-03-08, 11:35 PM
I know an old Granada which isn't doing anything... ;)

Im surprised the pikeys havent 'had it away'.

IIRC one year i went to the world finals at wembly and some idiot turned up to watch in a mint old MK2. Stunning it was, 3.0 auto. BIG mistake. I still remember how quickly a grubby looking guy hi-abbed the thing onto the back of his truck. Took him about 50 seconds. It was probably raced the following weekend.

Lynsey
03-03-08, 11:39 PM
Pikeys don't visit Wilmslow too often... Most of the cars are Lambos and Astons. I'm an outcast with my old cars in this town lol

SGA33
04-03-08, 03:37 PM
As well as mk3 cavs Calibras are getting popular now,as they are stronger than the cavs.They do race against the granadas and volvos are are pretty tough.At present a lot of southern drivers are even using redtop motors in there cars.:confused:

John
04-03-08, 06:23 PM
Lol lynz, spent many a sunday up there as a "yoof!". The nova is a 2.0 hotrod, probably running a ford pinto engine rwd! Tim marsden has been racing that for years. Up until last year one of my good friends raced in the hotrod series, in a space frame 205, however he's since sold it on in order to try and build a 1400 screamer nova stock rod. Now threy're fun!

Plug
04-03-08, 06:26 PM
Vauxhalls arnt really the cars of choice for bangers really not that strong lol

Philsutton
04-03-08, 06:28 PM

I remember vividly a Granny picking up a cav and a sierra on a straight and piling them both into the barrier. Cav was completely mashed, the sierra nearly snapped in half, and the granny's bonnet kinked up a bit lol

oh yes the grannies rule, however if you get a capri your king as those things just dont fold.

Howevr the big old V12 jags are funny, watching someone gun it down the straight with another 3 in a train into the wall.

Also if you ever get to go an watch some 3 wheeler banger racing, do it as its the funniest thing you'll ever see, ever.

Ste L
04-03-08, 07:33 PM
i'm sure i reconise that nova from somewhere, but cant think for the life of me, where from..

may be an ebay add posted on here or something ages ago

Big_Chap
04-03-08, 07:41 PM
they look like horods, bangers are awesome though!

Lynsey
04-03-08, 09:32 PM
Yeah, the Nova was in the hotrod class but we were mainly there to see the bangers (well more exciting). Just thought I'd post the Nova pics as it's a Nova forum. Plus they were the only pics I took on my phone and the rest are at Dougie's, on his camera :D

Lynsey
04-03-08, 09:35 PM
Oh and I thought it could be a really cool place for a NW meet sometime in the summer :D (all regions welcome, obviously).

Big_Chap
04-03-08, 10:39 PM
never actually saw a hotrod nova before, its usually 206 307 clio etc!

Matt2107
06-03-08, 07:35 PM
I always went to a local banger race as a kid... only 30mins from Oxford.

They used to have all sorts.
This was before I even knew Novas existed.

They had a wheely ramp competition where you had to travel the furthest on 2 wheels.

Caravan pulling was always fun to!!!