PDA

View Full Version : hazard button

carrie_girl_wonder
03-03-08, 10:34 AM
:confused:
2 questions here:

firstly,my hazard button is held in by a bit of paper to stop it from flashing,would that fail an mot?

secondly: my mate told me about a guy that can strengthen the nova hazard buttons,makes them indestructable or something but I've carried out a search and not found anything,can anyone help?

Cheers

Carrie x

Stuart
03-03-08, 10:42 AM
Loggyboy is the person who takes the springs out and charges you a fortune for the privelage....

craig green
03-03-08, 10:45 AM
'pull out' to turn on hazards. 'push in' to switch off.

I've never broken one.

carrie_girl_wonder
03-03-08, 10:48 AM
'pull out' to turn on hazards. 'push in' to switch off.

I've never broken one.

there was no need to that. i am perfectly aware how to use a hazard button.

apprently is is a common problem,my 1st one was broken when i got the car,i went to a scrap yard and got a working one then within a week it had popped out and i hadnt even used it.

carrie_girl_wonder
03-03-08, 10:49 AM
Loggyboy is the person who takes the springs out and charges you a fortune for the privelage....

would it fail my mot though?

craig green
03-03-08, 10:49 AM
If the lights dont work.

I'd say the switch needs to be idiot proof.

carrie_girl_wonder
03-03-08, 10:54 AM
If the lights dont work.

I'd say the switch needs to be idiot proof.

right thank you for the answer.

no need to be a patronising noob though there is nothing wrong with asking questions no matter how simple.

Stuart
03-03-08, 10:57 AM
chill out.

some cars have a pull hazzard so pulling on a nova one will break it.. I'd rather someone answered a question covering the uber basics and fill in all the info than to get half an answer and you wreck more switches (potentially)

craig green
03-03-08, 10:58 AM
no need to be a patronising noob though there is nothing wrong with asking questions no matter how simple.

If thats aimed at me I wasnt being...... Tbh its a grey area that you might want to explain to the mOT tester that the switches are notorious for breaking in the hands of people that cant operate them or are heavy handed. They cost about ?40 new.

Just show him how to operate it & let hime see the hazards working & perhaps he'll skip it in the test & give it the benefit of the doubt.

craig green
03-03-08, 11:00 AM
some cars have a pull hazzard so pulling on a nova one will break it..

Not if you gently move the switch out, you can feel it rest on a notch. This will trigger the lights on. Pushing it back in switches them off. Pushing the switch to turn them on or off usually results in the switch needing many pushes before it actually stays off. IME. :thumb:

carrie_girl_wonder
03-03-08, 11:04 AM
chill out.

some cars have a pull hazzard so pulling on a nova one will break it.. I'd rather someone answered a question covering the uber basics and fill in all the info than to get half an answer and you wreck more switches (potentially)

yeh thats fine but the guy below was saying i'm stupid to break it, when i said i didnt even touch it, it just popped out and started flashing lol so I thought i would investigate the indestructable one! :0

Stuart
03-03-08, 11:05 AM
mine was fine for 5 years, and it got abused lol

carrie_girl_wonder
03-03-08, 12:31 PM
If thats aimed at me I wasnt being...... Tbh its a grey area that you might want to explain to the mOT tester that the switches are notorious for breaking in the hands of people that cant operate them or are heavy handed. They cost about ?40 new.

Just show him how to operate it & let hime see the hazards working & perhaps he'll skip it in the test & give it the benefit of the doubt.

ok rad but dont call me stupid :) yeh thats understandable But I didnt even touch the switch! well apart from puttin it in,but im not a heavy handed person,would it be worth investing in a brand new one?or keep goin to scrappys and replacing it?:confused:

andy_srt40
03-03-08, 12:46 PM
i suppose that's down to whether you can be bothered living with it or not, and having to drive home with the hazards on every so often or holding it in lol

Matt2107
03-03-08, 01:08 PM
I've got one kicking around somewhere.

I'll pm you when I've dug it out... probably be the weekend sometime.

Jack
03-03-08, 01:35 PM
Carrie, can you not just fix the switch you have? If not, there's usually a few "indestructible" ones knocking around on ebay, or Loggyboy can sort you out with one.

The one for my GSi dash has gone, so I'll be "converting" that to push off, pull on soon. Will probably write a guide and stick it in the how-to section.

Incidentally, one of the reasons they break is because when removing them you're supposed to press the button to turn the hazards on, then withdraw the switch. Pulling it out when the switch is "off" can damage them.

chimp007_uk
03-03-08, 02:21 PM
so, to "repair" them.. all you need to do is take them apart and remove the springs?

meritlover
03-03-08, 02:49 PM
these stoppage buttons are always breaking with roughness. i dont think GM designed it to break by touching it up softly. perhaps more care has to be taken on the whole with these things. there are too many novas being violated with lamp posts and crashes, and faulty hazard buttons. perhaps i will have to investigate the cause of these failings. the pre-facelift novas had nice buttons. they were strong...like an Ox..but also gentle like a flower. except sometimes the red bit fell off. but only sometimes did this happen. but not always. perhaps i will leave with you with my thoughts... Loggyboy sounds like a snake man who makes money for doing not many thing with the button.

hmmmmm

Matt2107. do not kick your switch about! this is how these things get broken in the first place. what a scary place the world is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

burgo
03-03-08, 03:02 PM
these stoppage buttons are always breaking with roughness. i dont think GM designed it to break by touching it up softly. perhaps more care has to be taken on the whole with these things. there are too many novas being violated with lamp posts and crashes, and faulty hazard buttons. perhaps i will have to investigate the cause of these failings. the pre-facelift novas had nice buttons. they were strong...like an Ox..but also gentle like a flower. except sometimes the red bit fell off. but only sometimes did this happen. but not always. perhaps i will leave with you with my thoughts... Loggyboy sounds like a snake man who makes money for doing not many thing with the button.

hmmmmm

Matt2107. do not kick your switch about! this is how these things get broken in the first place. what a scary place the world is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wtf::tard::confused:

craig green
03-03-08, 03:11 PM
And todays poem was sent in by our favourite Karachi resident, the lover of all thigs lowly specced. MeritLover.

carrie_girl_wonder
03-03-08, 03:30 PM
Carrie, can you not just fix the switch you have? If not, there's usually a few "indestructible" ones knocking around on ebay, or Loggyboy can sort you out with one.

The one for my GSi dash has gone, so I'll be "converting" that to push off, pull on soon. Will probably write a guide and stick it in the how-to section.

Incidentally, one of the reasons they break is because when removing them you're supposed to press the button to turn the hazards on, then withdraw the switch. Pulling it out when the switch is "off" can damage them.

well i dont know how to fix it :P also I someone earlier said that it costs like ?40 for the guy to sort it.I can live with it I was just generally wanting peoples suggestions :) As this is my first nova and I dont have any experiance with funny bits :P

craig green
03-03-08, 03:36 PM
No, the switches are approx ?40 from Vauxhall or Loggyboy on here was doing his modded ones for a tenner or summat like that.

loggyboy
03-03-08, 10:27 PM
www.novahazardswitch.co.uk (http://www.novahazardswitch.co.uk)

Yes its a relatively simple modification to do when your a competent DIYer or even moderately techincally minded, however not everyone is that way so my switches still sell well, and for way under half the price if a genuine switch that will still break if not used 100% correctly. They also still come guaranteed for life. 2nd hand normal ones still sell for over ?10 and ive even seen a broken one sell for ?5!

Ps its not just the springs that need to come out, the whole mechanism needs to be removed (carefully) or the remaining latches and catches can cause further problems.

I can also replace blown bulbs for an extra fiver.

Lee
03-03-08, 10:33 PM
they were strong...like an Ox..but also gentle like a flower.

Oh lordy, i just weed a little bit.

meritlover
04-03-08, 09:17 AM
weeding is essential to keep you garden looking fresh!!