PDA

View Full Version : widest wheels

01pearsonj
02-03-08, 03:18 PM
right ive got my self a nova xe project on the go but need to stick some wide wheels on because my 6j comp mos arnt cutting it. What size can i fit and what work would need to be done.

any help would be much apriciated:thumb:

brucer
02-03-08, 03:47 PM
whats the car for? road/track/drag etc.?

meritlover
02-03-08, 05:38 PM
try a full alignment/Geo setup and if that is not good enough, try fitting an LSD.

01pearsonj
02-03-08, 11:22 PM
car is for road/track

Stuart
03-03-08, 08:51 AM
I'd fit some decent tyres and learn howto drive it before throwing stacks of cash at it in terms of a diff etc.

Jack
03-03-08, 10:18 AM
Wide wheels do not necessarily mean better handling.

craig green
03-03-08, 01:02 PM
Wider wheels being confused with wider tyres perhaps.

6" or 6.5" width on 15's are the optimum amongst the track day core on here. Use 195/45 or 50 profile tyres. If you are running low & have bad negative camber, the grip will feel poor, resulting in extra understeer.

meritlover
03-03-08, 02:41 PM
. If you are running low & have bad negative camber, the grip will feel poor, resulting in extra understeer.

yes Mr Green, this is why i suggested an alignment before. but my comments were scared. there is a meaning there but only a small one. perhaps there is a need to do all the things suggested. but maybe not.

a diff is not that expensive and Mr Jack is correct!! the same can be said for 'low cars handle best' it is not often the case if thoughts have not been cast to the alignment and geometry of the wheelies.

01pearsonj
03-03-08, 05:08 PM
basicly ive drove a xe nova before with my comp mos (15" 6j 195/50/15) handling was ok as far as a nova goes, tourqe steer was bad but thats what u get with such power. The problem i had was getting the power down on the road. Dose nothing but spin in 1st 2nd and 3rd.
Is this just expected?

burgo
03-03-08, 05:08 PM
what tyres did the car have??

Stoo
03-03-08, 05:43 PM
take the lead shoes off

meritlover
03-03-08, 06:01 PM
basicly ive drove a xe nova before with my comp mos (15" 6j 195/50/15) handling was ok as far as a nova goes, tourqe steer was bad but thats what u get with such power. The problem i had was getting the power down on the road. Dose nothing but spin in 1st 2nd and 3rd.
Is this just expected?

drive more smoothly or fit a Diff. have you considered any of the things that have been suggested?:confused:

Philsutton
03-03-08, 06:26 PM
Get some decent tyres, set the pressures correctly and a LSD. Bad wheel spin 1st, 2nd, 3rd in xe nova means your driving like a tool, or have some fuel saver tyres on pumped up to a million psi.

If your moaning about wheel spin then you need to get in a high powered LET with crappy remoulds on, then you know the meaning on wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelspin. lol

The width isnt that important so long as you get it all set up right.

Dar
03-03-08, 06:46 PM
Is this just expected?

Listen to Mr Meritlover but also make sure you have decent bushes in the TCA's & tie-rods.

When I first put my car on the road after building it, it was a pig to drive. As soon as I went anywhere near the power it would spin up the wheels and torquesteer all over the place. I have a video somewhere. Anyway, I decided that it was dangerous and decided to sort out the suspension side of things next as a matter priority (It was on the to do list). So after fitting some polybushes and setting up the tracking I went for a test drive.

Zero torquesteer and not alot of wheelspin once I was rolling at a decent speed. Also as a matter of correct setup you must also do as the others suggest, check your tyre pressures and decent tyres also help:thumb:

01pearsonj
04-03-08, 04:50 PM
drive more smoothly or fit a Diff. have you considered any of the things that have been suggested?:confused:

sorry if it sounds like im ignoring all your suggestions. Im taking this all in and see which is going to be best for my use.

01pearsonj
04-03-08, 04:50 PM
take the lead shoes off

whats wong with the compomotives?

burgo
04-03-08, 04:51 PM
whats wong with the compomotives?no he meant you have a heavy foot lmao

01pearsonj
04-03-08, 05:42 PM
lol oh yehlol

well when your driving a xe nova for the fiest time uve got 2 give it the beans

Stuart
04-03-08, 06:37 PM
not really, I try to work out how a car handles before seeing how "badly" it behaves when being driven like a cretin...

01pearsonj
04-03-08, 06:45 PM
yeh well im 17 and when the opertunity rises like that you dont realy want to drive slow and see how it handles

Royston
04-03-08, 06:54 PM
yeh well im 17 and when the opertunity rises like that you dont realy want to drive slow and see how it handles

obituary soon:eek: going to learn the hard way:tard:

You sound like an accident waiting to happen, theres a time and a place for everything, where abouts are you from? so I can avoid the area:wtf:

Stoo
04-03-08, 07:41 PM
so youd rather drive it like a tool, not knowing how its going to react?

01pearsonj
04-03-08, 10:32 PM
obituary soon:eek: going to learn the hard way:tard:

You sound like an accident waiting to happen, theres a time and a place for everything, where abouts are you from? so I can avoid the area:wtf:

why do you even comment? you sound like my dad. Am i giving the impression that im a chav straight off the streets and i drive my cars like i stole it???????

obviously if id has the chance again to drove a xe nova id be looking out for the details i need. unfortunatly i had no plans at the time of getting my own

adam c
04-03-08, 11:07 PM

what tyres does it have on?suspension etc?also try not to just plant your foot down!lol i would listen to stuart.learn how the car drives and handles first before you start nailing it everywhere.personally i find it alot more fun being able to go round bends quick than going fast in a straight line......at the end of the day even my nan can go quick in a straight line;) .

Jack
05-03-08, 08:49 AM
why do you even comment? you sound like my dad. Am i giving the impression that im a chav straight off the streets and i drive my cars like i stole it???????
Erm...

well when your driving a xe nova for the fiest time uve got 2 give it the beans

...do you really want us to answer that? lol

Incidentally, how much are you paying to insure this nova, and who with? Most insurance companies who deal with engine conversions seem to be for 19+, so its a common question in the insurance forum when younger drivers need to insure a converted car :cool:

Royston
05-03-08, 09:51 AM
Am i giving the impression that im a chav straight off the streets and i drive my cars like i stole it???????

YES

meritlover
05-03-08, 09:54 AM
oh my eyes. no wonder the insurance is so expensive for young men when there are tools like that on the road. iam rolling my eyes over and over again

01pearsonj
05-03-08, 12:08 PM
lol i would love to know some background on some of you people and sit back and laugh.

my tyres are perelli p6000 no idea of what suspention was as it was not my car. Only thing that was mine on that whole car was my wheels.

Royston
05-03-08, 12:35 PM
OK have a lgood laugh, 16 years as an automotive suspension test engineer, now a test engineer on 6 wheel drive articulated dump trucks weighing @35 tons.

Driven performance cars you could only dream about - and not like a T*t:D

If you take the time to take the potential knowledge and experience on board, you will learn some thing, and there is penty here, many with more experience than I.

Are you

A - unemployed
B - A shelf stacker in a supermarketlol lol

And your dad's probably right by the way:p

With reference to the thread, personally I wouldn't have Pirelli tyres given due to poor quality issues years ago, I prefer Yokohama's/Goodyears but there are many good tyres available.:thumb:

meritlover
05-03-08, 06:49 PM
yes i would tend to agree with your dad also as he knows you better than us.

01pearsonj
05-03-08, 07:06 PM
so you have been that way inclinded all your life?

actualy im a electrical/machanical engineer
anyway back to topic. Yeh i no i need new tyres. wheels ok? what front springs do i need to look for with a xe lump?

Stuart
05-03-08, 07:35 PM
depends what you want to do with the car...
decent coilovers for keen road/track use or for simple road use Bilstein fat yellows are fine.

for a mech engineer you seem to have a slack idea when it comes to vehicle dynamics..... then again I know a lot of mech engineers that are completely lost when they leave their special little area of a car (ie people that know gearboxes far too well but crumble when it comes to changing a wheel lol)

01pearsonj
05-03-08, 08:08 PM
well what can i say. Only owned a car for a year. have no mechanical back ground. Family are not mechanicaly inclined. Only owned a nova for 3 weeks. Never been involved in motorsport, but i know my corsas inside out.

not going to be a specilist track car but would like it to handle ok

Andy_L
07-03-08, 08:42 AM

lol lol lol lol

You're a tit.

Of course you want to see how it handles then you know the limits of your car, what it can and can't do. That way you may drive quickly but you are also aware of the limitation of the car and yourself so you don't end up being an accident waiting to happen.

People aren't giving you the slow down advice for nothing. I've been there and done that (written off one car - not pleasent) and at the ripe old age of 26 am offering you the same advice. Slow the **** down and learn about your car.

For example, I'm sure there must be lanes near you that nobody uses. Drive that a few times to learn the route and then begin to speed up. Of course you might have a huge crash whilst doing this but hey-ho.

Track Days would be a much safer alternative...........

01pearsonj
07-03-08, 05:02 PM
lol lol lol lol

You're a tit.

Of course you want to see how it handles then you know the limits of your car, what it can and can't do. That way you may drive quickly but you are also aware of the limitation of the car and yourself so you don't end up being an accident waiting to happen.

People aren't giving you the slow down advice for nothing. I've been there and done that (written off one car - not pleasent) and at the ripe old age of 26 am offering you the same advice. Slow the **** down and learn about your car.

For example, I'm sure there must be lanes near you that nobody uses. Drive that a few times to learn the route and then begin to speed up. Of course you might have a huge crash whilst doing this but hey-ho.

Track Days would be a much safer alternative...........

ffs when in all this convo did i say that i had a full day driving this car? I drove it 4 like 2 mins!!!!!!!!
Why comment if you arnt going to answer my question

god dam sad c***