PDA

View Full Version : AIR FILTERS

Adam Moran
06-08-02, 06:40 PM
Right...... Nova 1.2i (What the feck does" i " mean, it aint like any injection ive seen B4!!)

I want a air filter (Grren Air / KnN ??) What should i get ?? Bearing in mind i want to put a strut brace on too! :lol:

I'm thinking just a replacment one but can't find my model on any of them!! :roll:

So ...... Over too you guys!!

Cheers
AJ :lol:
Adam@Moran11.freeserve.co.uk

fo0q
06-08-02, 06:45 PM
when i tried to find a air filter ofr my 1.2i the only company i could find that sell them were Green, and they give u a crank case breather.
I was about ?65..

Your right, the i does stand for injection but its just a single point injection unit. unlike the multi point injection ones your more used to seeing.

carltoncrazy
06-08-02, 07:41 PM
yeh that does surpiz me abit to,
because i cant see it making it that much smoother,
i mean itvery simlar into a carb in many rspect,
and ii was kinda amzed that an old 1982 cav has muti poin and a j reg 1.6 cav has single point.
coz i saw one 2day and it was single point and to be honest i didnt find it very good to drive.i mean didnt think it had enuf va va rom that it shuld.
any how, if ya cant afford that sorta dosh,i would have alook at other filters and see if ya can mod it or make some sorta bracket to fit it.
i am amaazed that 1.2 are very popular for ppl to mod and KnN dont make a filter,

MC
08-08-02, 10:55 AM
The idea behind Single point injection is that it is less expensive than multipoint and more economical than a carb. A halfway house.

Bullwinkle
08-08-02, 05:36 PM
Here's my opinion ... not like anyone asked for it ;)

Dont bother .. Honest to god truth you will not see 1 extra BHP out of your engine, it wont pull harder, it wont be faster. You will just think it is because you can hear more of an induction roar.

The BHP claims for filters are very exaggerated and i would personally only believe a decent independent test (read : NOT max power, fast car, revs, red line etc)

It wont give you 5bhp despite what they say, in fact you might find that it will rob you of some power. The reason i say this is becasue the 1.2 has the bin lid ontop of the engine (correct me if i have this wrong) that bin lid as ugly as it is prevents hot air from the engine externals being drawn into the engine.

Essentially the hotter the ambient tempreture of the air going into the engine the lower the performance - this also works the other way the colder the abient tempreture of the air going into the engine the better the performance.

Cold air ='s Dense air which is good for power

Warm air ='s less dense air which is bad for performance

If you study the tuning of turbocharged cars, they can suffer from heatsoak on the intercooler after high boost runs or idleing. The intercooler is there to cool the air making it more dense, the warmer it gets, the less the air gets cooled and this can seriously effect performance (enough to feel it) and cause detonation (which can lead to ... put put bang)

Save you money for when you have a car with an engine thats worth tuning, messing around with common garden small displacment economy engines is the biggest waste of time and money. Nothing you do to that engine (with the exception of nitrous/supercharging/tubocharging) will make it quicker than a standard 1.4 !

Regards

Bullwinkle

G4VVO
10-08-02, 06:41 PM
i have just bought a K&N induction kit for a 1.4i (single point) i tried everywhere but it wasn't in the cataloges i phoned up k&n and they gave me a model number. phone k&n if you want an induction kit. it was about ?70.