PDA

View Full Version : legal stuff?

Rich
01-03-08, 04:49 PM
Wondering if i could have anyones opinions/experience on a little problem.

I was caught in my nova by a copper on his pushbike:tard: with a speedgun doing 47 in a 30 zone. He was going to give me a fixed penalty notice, until he realised he had run out. He then took details and said i would receive a letter though the post about points and a fine. This was in september, i got a letter though last month saying i now have a court summons??

Im not planning on pleading innocent i know i was speeding, but ive now got court costs ontop of whatever fine i get (3 points, 60quid?) all because he didnt have any FPN to give me on the day. I can plead guilty by post so i dont have to appear in court myself, but i still have court costs! If he gave me the FPN i would have paid the fine and sent off my lisence. I now get the feeling im going to get more points/fines, just dont know what to do?

The summons is also on the day i fly back from 2 weeks in florida, which i was gonna be taking my lisence as id.

Would appreciate any help/advise, thanks

edit - Ive never had any points/fines in the past and have been driving almost 3 years now

Paul
01-03-08, 04:59 PM
are you being serious?

afaik you cant be done for speeding on a pushbike, what happens if you dont have a motor vehicle license and use a push bike? You can't be done then, so why should you be getting done here?

Rich
01-03-08, 05:04 PM
i worded that bad i meant the copper was on pushbike, no marked police car in sight lol

mowgli
01-03-08, 06:27 PM
for gods sake write to or phone somebody about this immediately if not sooner.........

write to the court stating that you have not received any correspondence until the summons, & lay out the timescale, details etc. also get in touch with the police about this breakdown in procedures, & finally go to the citizens advice, or ask about to find out which local solicitors do free consultations & advice then get down there to check out your legal position..

use your passport as ID to buy booze in florida, if they actually ask you

meritlover
01-03-08, 06:30 PM
you should let the tyres down on his bike. that will show him!!!

Jack
01-03-08, 06:35 PM
He is supopsed to give you some form of ticket at the time. No ticket = no conviction.

Any decent solicitor would be falling over himself to represent you here.

meritlover
01-03-08, 06:36 PM
a speedgun doing 47 in a 30 zone.

the speedgun was driving too fast.:thumb:

Ricky G
01-03-08, 06:42 PM
also just thought of it another way, if he had no tickets then you didnt sign anything right? therefore he has no camera evidence, or signed paper which proves you were speeding. turn up in court and deny the whole lot. it didnt happen ect. the other thing im wondering is how did he get to speak to you when he was on a push bike and you were driving? should of just kept going fella....

draper
01-03-08, 06:48 PM
i dont mean this to be ****y BUT ask a soiciter not us ****s

all you'll get on here is people saying there mates got away with doing 300mph past a school at 4pm - and this is from my own personal experience as i know the law like the back of my hand ;)

NovaLad
01-03-08, 06:51 PM
Yeah but.. My mates, cousens, mates, brothers dad got caught doing 100 in a 20 zone and got let off.
I swear i no lie to you!

lol

Rich
01-03-08, 08:29 PM
The officer stood in the middle of the road, i couldnt keep going.

He has a written statemnt where at the end it says he informed me he didnt have any FPN's. Also says i didnt reply or somthing towards then end, looks like a 5 year old wrote it.

Its definatly worth getting advice about this then? Ive got people telling me its normal blabla then others telling me ill get away with it etc.. I havent got a clue.

Ricky G
02-03-08, 10:35 AM
as said just get some advice from a soliciter. im sure we have all had experience's with the law that result in many different outcome's. so it would be best to get proper advice. good luck.