PDA

View Full Version : The things some people say lol!

CP
05-08-02, 10:52 PM
Well owing to the weather again ( thanks a lot God - m8! :evil: ) my brother in law and I decided in an idle moment last week to test drive a Mini Cooper S. Well that was plan anyway. Turned out they were selling the Cooper S's as fast as they could get hold of them - waiting list now nearly a year! So all they had available was the Cooper with sports pack extra thing they do so fair enough out we go with for a spin. First of all the saleman blokey grabs hold of the gear knob and in trying to get reverse pulls it off. Chortle! Anyway we get going with me brother in law driving out on the open road. He buries throttle and not a lot happens ( bearing in mind its only a bit over 110hp and we were 3 up) so he comments about it to the salesman blokey. Oh says matey you have to get it up nearer to 5000rpm for the top power to come in. Oh yes says my brother in law who knows diddly about cars and whys that then? Oh says blokey its cos its a 16valver - its got more valves so it takes longer for them all to start moving!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!

Abolute classic! I had to pretend that I had got summink in my eye it was so funny!
You really are a 42 carat plonker Rodney!

Pretty nice car - I got 110 out of it and it was still going for more but the salesman was getting a bit edgy so I backed off. Didn't get chance to chuck it about MC stylee down the lanes but I would thing it would be very good. The 200+hp one should be very exciting. Not bad money wise either - around ?12,500 for the 110hp one I drove

Ben (lurk75)
05-08-02, 10:59 PM
I had a salesman say exactly the same to me when i test drove the Seat Ibiza GTi they only had the 8v one and i said i wasnt interested as i wanted the valver and he said oh but there slower as the 16v take longer to pick up than the 8!!!!

My girlfriend stood laughing at him! whilst i was walking back to my car!

Alex
06-08-02, 12:17 AM
come on minis look the biggest piece of shit in the universe and all the drivers think that they can beat an EVO VI. I wou;d cus them more but i think enough is said already. They are just go carts and should not be called cars.

Davo
06-08-02, 12:18 PM
ok, so im confused now. i know that 16v are faster than 8v, but i have driven many 16v's and many 8v's.

So im gonna compare a 1.6 16v rover with the same car but 8v,

with the 8v there seems to be better pickup, and it does feel faster, the 16v seems to take its time. so whys that then

and with my 306 its a 1.6 8v and it kills 16v VTS's (may have something to do with the induction kit, power boost valve and super chip :oops: )

so tell me moooreeeee....

?Marty?
06-08-02, 08:04 PM
I like the new Mini's and was thinking of getting one. Then modifying it. :lol:

But then again for the same price i could have an RX7 with mods. So i don't think i'll bother.

Although the Mini would be brand new, and cheaper insurance. Hm?. :?

Car Salesmen - where the fuck do they get them chimps?

Ben (lurk75)
06-08-02, 08:57 PM
MINI- lmao they aint mini there bigger than bloody novas and fiesta's

They suck

ade
07-08-02, 01:16 AM
straneg - I was coming back from footy the other day following a new mini - they're nice cars but theyre too fat. Look pegnant and bloated. I thin the problem is the upper roof section is too narrow and not in proportion with the rest of th car. Its needs to be a little wider.

Nice car but not as good as the proginal mini cooper s. Me dad had one and I'll never forget helping him "tinker "with it when I was a kid. Had one hell of a roar on it too! BR Green with chequered roof - gorgeous.

Me mum on the other hand had an e type jag (her dads really but he never drove it) - brakes were renound sh1te so was the steering - turn the wheel and it wuld slowly move aboyt 5 seconds later - she ended up crashing it - rolled it on a mtorway embankment - fcuk knows how - says the brakes on one side locked up and threw the car up the embankment then it rolled back down onto the hard shoulder - this was late 60's sometime!

kids!

MC
08-08-02, 11:25 AM
8v engine tend to deliver more low down torque, and 16v's give more peak horse power, so initial pull away will be quicker in the 8v, but once the 16v gets its revs up (and providing it keeps em up through each change) it will be quicker.

The reason is:

volume of air intake gives power, and speed of airflow gives torque.

Two engines of the same capacity, one with 8, the other with 16 valves will have different characteristics. As a piston goes down it will create a vacuum, and draw air through the valves. As bothe engines are the same capcity, they both suck as hard as each other. The flow of air through the valves is a similar principle to a river. Water running through a narrow river runs fast. Water running through a wide river lets more through, but at a slower pace. The 8 valve engine draws a quickly through one valve where the 16v draws more air at a slower speed through two.

On an engine with twin 40's you can play with the choke diameter to change these characteristics. A small choke gives more torque, less BHP, and a larger choke gives less torque and more BHP. It's a similar principle.

kevw
08-08-02, 02:15 PM
And thats where the turbo steps in, to force a bit more air in, but peeps have mixed views on this :P

Doc
09-08-02, 09:48 AM
Yeah I was wondering about 16V and power etc Since i wrote my 1.2i nova off ive been driving my birds Bravo. Now the bravo(X) has a 1242cc 16V superfire engine (multipointinjection), my old nova was only a 1.2i with zorst and filter. My nova was something like 50bhp and her Bravo is listed at 82bhp so i couldnt wait to get into it. First impressions i was dissapointed with the bravo, i does weight a bit more 1000kg as opposed to my novas 750-800kg but still i expected more. From a standing start my old nova would pull off quicker. However, when she isnt in the car i get to boot it and drive like i used to drive my nova, and this is when i discovered where the power lies. I found that if you set off in with high revs and keep accelerating into 2nd, when you hit about 4000rpm it feels like a little turbo kicks in and the car really starts pulling right up to 6000rpm, and as long as u keep the revs at or over 4000rpm the car is really quite fast, for its engine size and would dick allover my old nova. The bravo pulls in every gear as long as you keep the revs up whereas my nova only seemed to pull in 2nd.
Anyway, MCs explanation seems spot on to what ive found out myself.
I'd like to drive a nova sri 1.4 with mpi and see how it compares to our lasses Bravo, slightly larger engine but with half the valves. Im sure the Sri would dick on the Bravo though being lighter etc, i'll let u know when ive bought one after ive finished my degree! :wink:

ade
10-08-02, 12:13 AM
lol CP you should be a teacher in some tech college teaching spotty teenagers about car engines and engine dynamics! :D

Ade

Davo
12-08-02, 10:29 AM
can i have diagrams as well please :oops: