PDA

View Full Version : spraying dashboards

ad4m
29-02-08, 10:38 AM
as above is spraying a dashboard hard ive got a ruff idea on what is needed to do it but can someone actually tell me what i need to do and the steps i need to take
how to smooth it down
what paint to use including primiers
how to make sure it perfectly flat
would i need a filler or fibreglass

cheer poeple any help it always greatful

Aamir
29-02-08, 11:04 AM
If it's a high gloss painted finish on the entire dash (like ol' skool hot rods) then yes it'll need to be fibreglassed if you want a job that'll last, this is to eliminate flex which would otherwise cause the paint to crack (during installation), plus very light skim of filler where required, hi-build primer.

If it's just a colour change you want, get some pro trimmers to leather spray it.

Dash plastics can simply be primed with plastic primer (or hi-build primer to remove the texture) & top-coated.

ad4m
29-02-08, 11:30 AM
can i just rub the texture away high build primier it all the 2pac paint it and lacqure it?

draper
29-02-08, 11:37 AM
ianiel's WIP thread has the products he used, ive seen the dash and its a decent job aswell

fix
29-02-08, 12:21 PM
I just used a plastic primer and a black rattle cans on my old nova dash with it still in the car and tbh it came up really well just made sure everything was taped/papered up well

Though you have got to be careful not to scratch the dash when using the car as it is only paint it will come away

ad4m
29-02-08, 01:41 PM
ye i understand if i put thousand of layers on lacquer will that help stop scratches?

fix
29-02-08, 01:58 PM
Yep it will definately help

You may not scratch the dash for ages if at all im just saying the surface is vulnerable to scratching etc as its painted

Adam
29-02-08, 02:02 PM
ianiel's WIP thread has the products he used, ive seen the dash and its a decent job aswell
2nd'd

Looks identical to a gsi finish, and is hard wearing.
He used proper Halfords flexible vinyl paint iirc

Mike
29-02-08, 03:20 PM
I used no primer at all, just loads of cleaning etc and some cans of uber high pressure satin black i got from Baxter...mine never peeled or cracked and looked like this once and lacqured :D

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/PICT01-1.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/PICT0067.jpg

ad4m
29-02-08, 05:40 PM
going to sand my dash down and get it so there in no texture there then plastic coat primier then high build primier flat all that down the paint then lacquer

is this the right way?

draper
29-02-08, 06:01 PM
you cant sand the dash down to smooth it, you have to build it up witht fibreglass

General Baxter
29-02-08, 06:06 PM
some cans of uber high pressure satin black i got from Baxter...mine never peeled or cracked and looked like this once and lacqured :D

id say it would be more bomb like then high pressure lol
something 10,000psi wernt they lol

fix
29-02-08, 06:17 PM
I wouldnt bother sanding the dash down or fibregalssing you dont need to

ad4m
29-02-08, 06:22 PM
high build primier will sort that out i think few coats then sanded down will be fine
who agrees

Iain
29-02-08, 09:31 PM
Looks identical to a gsi finish, and is hard wearing.
He used proper Halfords flexible vinyl paint iirc

Yeah black flexible paint looks just like a GSi dash.

If you want a smooth looking dash then fibreglass is probably the best idea. High build primer and normal paint would probably crack given time.

dave.gsi
29-02-08, 10:12 PM
am i right in thinking that the mk2 dash had certain bits that had a kind of 'squidgy' feel to them?

seem to remember my old gsi had a bit around the heater controls/vents that was quite soft and squidgy, surely any kind of paint on that and it would crack and fall off??

Iain
29-02-08, 10:28 PM
Most of the mk2 dash is squishy feeling apart from the hard plastic bits like the clock surrounds, fag lighter surround and side vents/speaker grilles.

Here's my mk2 dash painted black, this is all the squishy texture. I used "flexible vinyl paint" that'll withstand flexing and movement:

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP/9.JPG

ad4m
29-02-08, 11:08 PM
im going to use plasti coat and special spray that my mate told me is the best for doing dashboards

stylesy451
24-03-08, 07:02 PM
i just used a rag and thinners and rubbed it all over the dash then sprayed it with wurth satin black it does the trick

DW-Nova
30-03-08, 11:05 PM
To be honest mate you dont really want to be spraying your dash with spray cans. if you want a smooth dash you will obviously need to take it out and cover it with fibreglass tissue, it'll then need rubbing down progressivley with finer grades of paper and possibly recoating in places with the fibreglass tissue, it'll probably need a skim of filler over this aswell, it'll then need another rub down and a few coats of hi build primer or spray putty, then priming and painting with the final coat followed by laquer, it's going to be a really lengthy process to get it nice but it'll look amazing once done, dont rush it and you'll be able to do a nice job, if your not familiar with painting or you dont have the equipment to do so you'll be best of leaving the painting to a bodyshop. The downside with this dash will be that it wont be the most hard wearing and if it cracks you'll have to take it all back out to sort it out. Good luck with it anyway.

stylesy451
30-03-08, 11:44 PM
if ur gonna do that u might aswell try and do it with a black marker pen it will be faster lol

Nevo
31-03-08, 05:46 PM
Ive got my dash out at the minit and plan on spraying it black but i am just going prime it then matt black spray it with a couple of coats of laquer on it should do the trick .. al get some before and after pics tho ...:D

Adam
31-03-08, 05:59 PM
Ive done mine just with matt black.
No primer, no laquer.

Went on fine and hasn't fell off so far :D lol