PDA

View Full Version : avo coilovers

jaywalker
28-02-08, 10:22 PM
Right, i have gone about highering the back end on me nova as i think its far to low and everytime i go around a corner a bit quick it sounds as if the tyres are catching the top of the rear arches:eek:
i was wondering with a set of speedlines on and 195/ 45 tyres whats the norm for height wise on the back end, also when someone states "mines lowered 60mm all round" how do they know this?
as i have height adjustable avo coilovers on the back how can i tell how low the car is, and if you give me the correct height how do i go about doing it:thumb: cheers jay

R1CH
28-02-08, 10:52 PM
Folk only state how much its lowered by whatever springs they've bought ... ie, 40mm kit / 60mm kit ect.
Are your arches rolled ??
If its on coilovers then just raise it 5mm / 10mm untill it stops scubbing, you might need to adjust the front end as well to keep the chassis level.
You'll probly find that it more comfortable to drive and probly handle a bit better due to you having a bit more suspension travel.

craig green
29-02-08, 01:01 PM
/\/\ Totally agree with Rich. Slamming it into the weeds only does good for the looks, on poor UK roads a little more compliance & some extra ground clearance is the best route. When running really low the tendancy to wash out off bumps or encounter torque steer is increased.
Only on the smoothest surfaces would a totally slammed Nova feel stable at high speed cornering, something the UK lacks tbh.

jaywalker
29-02-08, 10:00 PM
cheers guys, will give it a go:thumb:

mowgli
29-02-08, 11:45 PM
have you put new rear beam bushes in recently? because the old ones could cause the rear beam axle to move sideways with hard cornering

jaywalker
02-03-08, 10:02 AM
no i have not, i have a rear beam with discs and poly bushes that i might be putting on soon so will do then, thanks:thumb:

The Simps
02-03-08, 12:32 PM
set your front how you want them then measure the front of the sill to the floor then match the rear sill to the floor to match. If it stll scrubs on the rear just keep adjusting it til it stops (bit of boring trial and error here!) then once set raise the front so the sill gaps are matched again (unless you want a nose down stance of course.

craig green
03-03-08, 01:37 PM
Nose down (a little) is good sometimes as under power it will pull the rear down a tad, or the nose will lift a bit. Helps with traction too.

Adam
03-03-08, 04:05 PM
My car sits slightly nose down, and ive noticed on pod pics the front lifts right up under hard acceleration.
I guess my rear shocks are set too soft.

That could have caused the slightly traction issues to when changing into 2nd/3rd

Mike
03-03-08, 04:11 PM
My car sits slightly nose down, and ive noticed on pod pics the front lifts right up under hard acceleration.
I guess my rear shocks are set too soft.

That could have caused the slightly traction issues to when changing into 2nd/3rd

Aye, keep the rears hard IMO, stops the front lifting and breaking traction when the weight is transfered to the rear of the vehicle.

craig green
03-03-08, 04:56 PM
Stiffer rear springs would help the most IMO. Perhaps stiffer damping upfront.

Adam
03-03-08, 05:10 PM
Aye, keep the rears hard IMO, stops the front lifting and breaking traction when the weight is transfered to the rear of the vehicle.
Thats exactly what must of been happening, as i was spinning going into 2nd and 3rd gear in a 1600, when most Xe's with sorted suspension weren't.

craig green
03-03-08, 05:11 PM
Keep that quiet. It'll be quoted by one of the big block squad before you know it & used against us as ammo...

Its more than likely due to the superior power of the 1600 Adam.

Adam
03-03-08, 05:13 PM
That must of been the case lol

Mike
03-03-08, 05:14 PM
Thats exactly what must of been happening, as i was spinning going into 2nd and 3rd gear in a 2600, when most Xe's with sorted suspension weren't.

;) lol mine doesnt really do it, only in the wet doing a full throttle shift lol

craig green
03-03-08, 05:23 PM
I guess the 16v is a totally different beast...

Not to put down Adams car, but between both your cars, its highly likely that the different suspension setups & condition of fr end bushes etc will result in a considerable difference when it comes to transfering power into traction. No mention of tyres.

Adam
03-03-08, 05:28 PM
Like i said, i have both front and rear suspension set to full soft for the road.
Which is probably why i can spin entering 2nd/3rd in the dry......

Altho, it didn't used to spin as much before the inlet box went on....

The Simps
03-03-08, 06:00 PM
When I had to take mine for MOT last year I had to jack the front up around 30mm to clear the ramps and it was awful to drive. Wheelspan even if I just thought about putting my foot down!

I run my nova low and have the front shocks fairly hard and the rears almost of full hard and I found the fronts were better and more comfortable on the road stiffer. Wheelspin isn't that bad considering I have over 300lbft and there's not that much lift.

Can't fault my avo's. Keep ome eccentric top mounts too. Lets you run lower without having to wind the platform too far and get a loose spring flapping around.