View Full Version : boyd coddington

lee02
28-02-08, 10:12 PM
dont know if it has been posted on here
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jXDIDXZ_rWA9QwirwigoIkmiWSswD8V31V5O2

:( R.I.P

Steve
28-02-08, 10:22 PM
Thats a shame for the business although I must admit I never liked his show.

dave.gsi
28-02-08, 10:24 PM
jesus, didn't know that :eek:

the guy was a legend. cracking cars, shocking shirts!

i'm sure the boyd name will continue for many years though, RIP :(

novacabrio
28-02-08, 10:43 PM
Wasn't a major fan of the show, prefer Over Hauled and American Chopper but he will be missed

Mike
28-02-08, 10:55 PM
No way! Proper legend he is though

nov4801
28-02-08, 10:58 PM
r.i.p

draper
29-02-08, 12:22 AM
meh - everyone dies at some point, im sure he was pleased with how he lived his life tho

Shaun_O'Donnell
29-02-08, 06:45 AM
Pretty gutted, watch American Hotrod all the time - prefer the older series when Charlie and Mike were still there. These guys then moved over to Chip Foose who was one of Boyd's old crew.

But just as draper says, we have to remember it's a part of life.

R.I.P. Boyd.

Matt2107
29-02-08, 08:39 AM
Such a shame.
Loved his poker face... could never tell whether he was gonna laugh or murder someone.

R.I.P

Ryan5cyl
29-02-08, 12:52 PM
63's way too young the die at, such a shame, R.I.P

mowgli
29-02-08, 01:41 PM
http://www.carandmodel.com/albums/arizona_auto_show_2004/aai.sized.jpg (http://www.carandmodel.com/gallery/arizona_auto_show_2004/aai?full=1)
http://www.carandmodel.com/gallery/arizona_auto_show_2004/aai
the 'whatthehaye' (a tribute to Dellahaye sportscars) it is viper v10 powered, the roof comes off, it is in hand beaten ally
It is, in my humble opinion, one of the best looking things ever made

Boyd will be missed by a lot of people

areofall
29-02-08, 02:05 PM
This is my fovourite show, personally I think the other shows are poor copies of Boyds, was planning to go out to his place in 2010 but never going to meet him now.

"Boyd, Whenever there are clounds in the heavens, we'll know it's you showing god how to do a great burnout."

mayhem
29-02-08, 02:28 PM
rip.

the man was a legend

belly257
29-02-08, 03:56 PM
r.i.p

gunny
29-02-08, 04:29 PM
he was a legend for bulding some of the greatest hotrods, respect to him for that, but lets be honest he was a tw*t, and an **** to his staff, apart from that fat bald geek that follows him like a shadow!

r.i.p

H15 NVA
29-02-08, 05:23 PM
he was a legend for bulding some of the greatest hotrods, respect to him for that, but lets be honest he was a tw*t, and an **** to his staff, apart from that fat bald geek that follows him like a shadow!

r.i.p

exactly what i was going to say, i remember him bollocking one of his staff for bein late when he knew he has to drop his daughter at school,
"your start time is 8am!!"
the other guy said "but our finish time is 5 and im normally here untill 7 or 8 sometimes later to make sure jobs are done!"

basically boyd was being a cock and bit his nose off to spite his face cos the guy decided to "work to rule" and clocked out every day at bang on 5pm so boyd got his half hour back every morning but lost out on 2+ hours evry night plus some!!

Legend as fabriactor/designer, complete cock as a person/boss!
no sense of self awarness!

euro sbd
29-02-08, 09:22 PM
exactly what i was going to say, i remember him bollocking one of his staff for bein late when he knew he has to drop his daughter at school,
"your start time is 8am!!"
the other guy said "but our finish time is 5 and im normally here untill 7 or 8 sometimes later to make sure jobs are done!"

basically boyd was being a cock and bit his nose off to spite his face cos the guy decided to "work to rule" and clocked out every day at bang on 5pm so boyd got his half hour back every morning but lost out on 2+ hours evry night plus some!!

Legend as fabriactor/designer, complete cock as a person/boss!
no sense of self awarness!

so true, brilliant at what he does or did i should say but a complete ****

dave.gsi
29-02-08, 10:24 PM
^^ to be a good boss, you can't be friends with your staff. i've always believed in that, if you get too friendly with them they start taking the piss.

as a boss of such a large company you have to have respect from the people below you. the way he handled his business, people may not have liked him as a person but they definately respected what he was doing and the way he went about doing it

mowgli
29-02-08, 11:13 PM
if you believe the bollocking/piss taking was all in context??

these shows are all editted to make things look harder than they are, one week they are rushing to make car xxx, the next week they are rushing to make car yyy, and in the background you can see car xxx in bits with nobody working on it.... same thing happens on American Chopper. it doesn't help that the shows go out in america at 40 mins long, so for the uk market they have to add 8 minutes of filling for each episode.

euro sbd
01-03-08, 11:46 AM
^^ to be a good boss, you can't be friends with your staff. i've always believed in that, if you get too friendly with them they start taking the piss.

as a boss of such a large company you have to have respect from the people below you. the way he handled his business, people may not have liked him as a person but they definately respected what he was doing and the way he went about doing it

also true but i think you have to give respect to earn it. no ones disputing he was brilliant at what he did but as a boss i think he was terrible. the fellas on american hot rod respected him because they got a chance working fof boyd coddington not because they liked the way he managed them. im a forman running the lads at a signage company and i find they work muck better knowing there getting talked to right and getting a little respect, hence why charlie went to work for chip foose

John
01-03-08, 12:01 PM
Shame, the american hot rod scene will sorely miss him. His cars were groundbreaking. I remember buying street machine as a kid (over 20 years ago) and some of the cars he produced back then are what we see now in the uk.
R.I.P Boyd.

stubs
01-03-08, 05:12 PM
if you believe the bollocking/piss taking was all in context??

these shows are all editted to make things look harder than they are, one week they are rushing to make car xxx, the next week they are rushing to make car yyy, and in the background you can see car xxx in bits with nobody working on it.... same thing happens on American Chopper. it doesn't help that the shows go out in america at 40 mins long, so for the uk market they have to add 8 minutes of filling for each episode.

I've noticed this too, but you must remember that most of these cars are show-queens (yes they are also able of being driven, I know). It's not uncommon for a company to rush build a car to hit a target show date, then take the car back & finish any small problems or details. Now I'm not saying its bad workmanship or anything, just sometimes you can't make the date without leaving something till later. Not forgetting that they may often be waiting on supplies for xx car, which prevents any further work commencing (especially in the final assembly stages when all fabrication & body work has been completed). It does bug me a little that it isn't a true picture of what goes on in the shop, but suppose it makes for better "entertainment"

Aside from that, I think its a real shame that the industry has suffered such a great lost of such a legend. I'm sure his name & company will live on for many years, and have no doubt that they will continue to build some fantastic cars & parts, but I don't think it will ever be the same without his expert input into each of the builds & designs... the personal touch is what makes a company like that stand out.

RIP Boyd :(